Best Bars Near East End

What are some of the best bars on the near East End? I am somewhat new to the area...

Thanks!

Where Telephone Road starts all the way to the end. :lol:

Don't miss The Happy Go Lucky, shot out neon sign boast's "Best Drink's in Houston".

best in what way?

Excellent question. Decent crowd. Minimal Drama. Good Jukebox. I am not into a meat market vibe as I am happily married. Just down to earth and laid back. Maybe a bit of a "dive bar". I used to go to Christians Tailgate and still go to Front Porch Pub during the day. But as the evening comes and the vibe becomes more "yuppie" (sorry, I hate that term but...) I'm outta there. I live in Eastwood and would like to find a place closer than Midtown. There are several ice houses around but I've only been to D&D Lounge (?) on Milby and McKinney during the day. It was fine but I've only been once.

Basically, I like to hit bars late in the week or on the weekend from Mid to late afternoon until the early evening so most places would probably be fine. I usually leave as night comes. Just curious what people had to say about some of the bars in the near East End.

Thanks musicman...I'll try to hit HAIF night at Happy Days in the future.

Then there's what's known as the "Miracle Mile" area. The stretch between Tel-Wink Grill all the way to 610 at Telephone Rd. Very glitzy and trendy, be sure to pack plenty o penicillin shots. :lol: Might catch AMW filming on location at any given moment!

I am just kidding of course. Welcome to wondrous (and often unpredictable) Near East End. For all best purposes and especially for a married person it's best to go away from this area for drinks. It all depends on whom you ask. D & D whaaaaattttt....

I did go to "1820" bar just on the other side of Highway 59 a block from Minute Maid. That place is nice with an excellent jukebox and an very cool bartender. But the place could not have been more dead. It was on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon, I don't remember which. I'm sure it does a good business during Astros games. I used to go to the BUS before Astros games last year but no more. I will hit 1820 instead.

I did hit Mak's Ice House once or twice but I didn't feel overly welcomed by the regulars so I decided not to go back. I wasn't really feeling the music playing either. The owner was really nice though. :)

Lucky's Pub is close.

Coog, I just checked out the website www.luckyspub.com. That place looks awesome! Thanks Coog! I had no idea it was even there. And it's much closer to where I live than the Midtown bars. Fantastic! I will be giving it a shot soon. But from the website, it looks EXACTLY like what I'm look for. Too cool...

I've been thinking about giving that place a try. Have you been? I get the impression it's a Woodrows-type crowd.

What a "Woodrows" type crowd? I've never been.

I've been thinking about giving that place a try. Have you been? I get the impression it's a Woodrows-type crowd.

It is. Nice joint with a Woodrows crowd and pricey cocktails. Good place to watch sports.

Note: Pricey means over 5 bucks for a call drink.

Coog, I just checked out the website www.luckyspub.com. That place looks awesome! Thanks Coog! I had no idea it was even there. And it's much closer to where I live than the Midtown bars. Fantastic! I will be giving it a shot soon. But from the website, it looks EXACTLY like what I'm look for. Too cool...

What a "Woodrows" type crowd? I've never been.

perhaps an exaggeration.......26 year old dudes with the same variation of untucked, striped dress shirt, who high-5 themselves every 30 seconds on the Golden Tee.

(midtown woodrows......other locations tend to have a wider mix of people, I've found)

It is. Nice joint with a Woodrows crowd

What's the "Woodrows Crowd"?

perhaps an exaggeration.......26 year old dudes with the same variation of untucked, striped dress shirt, who high-5 themselves every 30 seconds on the Golden Tee.

(midtown woodrows......other locations tend to have a wider mix of people, I've found)

LOL Great description...too funny...yeah, those guys can get a bit obnoxious. Those guys do realize that untucked dress shirts have been out of style for quite some time, right? Anyhow. Definitely a place I will try. Similar to Front Porch Pub I suppose. Go in, drink a bit, and head out when the "Woodrows Crowd" comes in.

Thanks everyone. This has been helpful.

No problem. They always show UH games (like tonight), so I've been a few times. They just recently started serving lunch, but I haven't tried the food.

No problem. They always show UH games (like tonight), so I've been a few times. They just recently started serving lunch, but I haven't tried the food.

I stopped by for a quick drink and a burger. Very good burger. Good waffle fries. Friendly bartender that used to work at the B.U.S. Looks like I've found a new home!

• The title was changed to Best Bars Near East End

Archived