Silver Slipper

tmariar

i'm ready for some of that fish and boudin

I'm ready for someone else to do some cooking! The menfolk have arrived for their little party, so I need to go my ass out back and tend to the grill.....

What fun last night! Niche was that your car parked at the big red house a couple of hours ago? Nice to have a selection of crash pads. You were quite the professional with the drinks!

I look forward to more 'tastic activities. :D

What fun last night! Niche was that your car parked at the big red house a couple of hours ago? Nice to have a selection of crash pads. You were quite the professional with the drinks!

No, I ultimately sobered up and just went home. Older houses are just too light and airy, and that's not conducive to sleeping into the afternoon.

Sev suggested the Silver Slipper for a future trip. That's one place I've always wanted to check out. One of the last remnants of Frenchtown.

silverslipper2.jpg

I already got my tetnis shot for Happy Days, so may as well join on this one as well.

No, I ultimately sobered up and just went home. Older houses are just too light and airy, and that's not conducive to sleeping into the afternoon.

hahaha

• 4 weeks later...

The Silver Slipper was mentioned in the latest issue of the Press. I've been meaning to do a short write-up of the history of the place - there's some pretty good info out there, and some good photos (better than the one I posted, which I took myself), and I've got a couple of books that talk about it - just haven't had time yet. But I did see this about an historical marker that was recently put up referencing the Silver Slipper (photo of marker at bottom of page). Oddly, a little booklet about "Houston Frenchtown" I ordered a while back from a Louisiana organization, while fairly comprehensive otherwise, doesn't even mention the place.

I think a Friday night would be best, as I know they have live music at 10 on Friday nights. I don't mind organizing once I can commit to a particular night (I can't go the 14th, but could probably go the 7th or 21st) - if Sev or someone else wants to take the lead, though, that would be great, too.

• 1 month later...
[i finally got around to pulling something together on the history of the Silver Slipper - posted it here.]

Tmariar, I was enjoying your site very much but was a little dissapointed to find such little info about the Budweiser brewery, and also, no mention of Sam's Boat which is one of the longest surviving bars in town, that I would care to wager almost EVERY Houstonian, who has been in this town at least 30 years, has definately been to ONCE in their lives.

I don't know if you are compiling all this information or if you are relyig on contributions from readers ? I need a little more info, please.

Tmariar, I was enjoying your site very much but was a little dissapointed to find such little info about the Budweiser brewery, and also, no mention of Sam's Boat which is one of the longest surviving bars in town, that I would care to wager almost EVERY Houstonian, who has been in this town at least 30 years, has definately been to ONCE in their lives.

sam's boat is not in the same league as some of the other places.

[i finally got around to pulling something together on the history of the Silver Slipper - posted it here.]

Nice work on the site tmariar, love the presentation. Very interesting read about Frenchtown. This city always has something else to reveal to us. Many Thanks! :)

I don't know if you are compiling all this information or if you are relyig on contributions from readers ? I need a little more info, please.

Suggestions always welcome! The Houstorian site is pretty scattershot, and not at all comprehensive - just some random postings on things that interest me or that I ran across - I usually try to focus on things that I haven't seen a lot about elsewhere on the internet, though that's not always the case. The Budweiser brewery would be a good addition, given that there are some other breweries discussed - I'll see what I can find out. (Busch Gardens was near there, right?) The bar notes date back to this thread on HAIF. I didn't think to check Sam's Boat, but I've got a few others on my list to check out (like Shady Tavern), and so will add it to the list for the next time I'm at Ideson. Originally, a couple of other people were going to post things on that site, too, but nobody else ever did. If anyone ever wanted to, they'd be more than welcome. It will always just be an occasional hobby for me b/c I don't have the time to make more of it. Glad you found some things of interest, though, TJones. (You, too, Nena.)

[update: I added a Houstorian post on Busch Gardens - I couldn't find any photos on the internet, but then remembered my parents had some. One shows the brewery as well.]

Suggestions always welcome! The Houstorian site is pretty scattershot, and not at all comprehensive - just some random postings on things that interest me or that I ran across - I usually try to focus on things that I haven't seen a lot about elsewhere on the internet, though that's not always the case. The Budweiser brewery would be a good addition, given that there are some other breweries discussed - I'll see what I can find out. (Busch Gardens was near there, right?) The bar notes date back to this thread on HAIF. I didn't think to check Sam's Boat, but I've got a few others on my list to check out (like Shady Tavern), and so will add it to the list for the next time I'm at Ideson. Originally, a couple of other people were going to post things on that site, too, but nobody else ever did. If anyone ever wanted to, they'd be more than welcome. It will always just be an occasional hobby for me b/c I don't have the time to make more of it. Glad you found some things of interest, though, TJones. (You, too, Nena.)

Busch gardens was actually on site with the brewery. I cannot remember how all the birds got away, some say a storm, which is what I have always heardn but I am not for sure. Sam's boat has been amajor staple in the houston bar scene forever. They have had some BIG names play there also over the years.

Busch gardens was actually on site with the brewery. I cannot remember how all the birds got away, some say a storm, which is what I have always heardn but I am not for sure. Sam's boat has been amajor staple in the houston bar scene forever. They have had some BIG names play there also over the years.

• 6 months later...

Archived