I-10 & Beltway 8 Interchange

Gary

You know, in about 10 years - when its all said & done, we're going to have some nice freeways to get around on. I'm pretty optimistic. I guess my only angst is for those who live on US290 and will have to wait until the I-10 project is done before they even get started.

I'd say we have some nice stuff right now...like the southwest and eastex freeways. Something is always going to need to be rebuilt/updated. I think the next thing after 10 and 290 will be the Gulf freeway...its lookin pretty old....

Anyone else in here notice the interchanges within the interchanges at Katy/Loop and Katy/Beltway? There's the regular freeway interchanges, with the Katy Tollway interchanges woven within them.

I also met a lady who worked on the schematics for the US 290 widening. She says that 290 will have some amizingly/rediculously (depending on your point of view) massive interchanges. She wasn't detailed, but I bet this has to do with them possibly linking all the future 290 tollway interchanges with some of the regular 290 interchanges. The schematics for this project should be released soon.

Most of the cost of the I-10 and Beltway Interchange was part of the Tollway project. HCTRA had to put forward the bonds to build it. TxDOT was involved in the design. So, not much of the public money went into the original interchange.

It's almost like Houston got a free samlpe and now they are going to build the real thing.

You know, in about 10 years - when its all said & done, we're going to have some nice freeways to get around on. I'm pretty optimistic. I guess my only angst is for those who live on US290 and will have to wait until the I-10 project is done before they even get started.

by then, they will need to start new construction becuase there will be a lot more cars and the then current system won't be able to cope...thus repeating the viscous cycle.

Here's a thought... why don't we wait and see how we like these tollways-within-freeways, before we make every freeway in town a gargantuan concrete monster. I don't know about y'all, but my favorite freeways in town are I-45 North and I-10 East, inside the loop. My least favorite is the Southwest - because it's so huge.

• The title was changed to I-10 & Beltway 8 Interchange

Archived