Elderly Parents Moving To Town Where Do I Put Them Up?

LLLegalien

Hi there -

My parents are moving to Houston to be nearer to us. My Dad is an active (but physically limited) 87 year old and my mother is a VERY ACTIVE (walks at least a few miles a day) 77 year old. They will not be needing public transportation.

I need to find them a safe community in which to live. They don't want to live in a retirement community - just a regular neighborhood. Can you recommend anywhere which is SAFE, easily accessible to the Med Center by car, reasonable drive to the Heights and Kingwood and is within 10 miles of a SAFE park? They only want to rent. They are happy to rent either a 1 story home or live in a building with an elevator. Price is not too much of a concern since they are coming from somewhere where the rents are really high.

Thank you very much!

Museum District.

It's close to the Med Center (they don't have to, but they can take the Metro Rail if they don't feel like parking), safe, the best park in the city is close by, and in the year I've been here I haven't had much of a problem with crime despite my crappy old bike being stolen.

OH yeah, and I think it's one of the more visually attractive hoods in the city too!

Only downside is I don't have many restaurant choices within walking distance (although the Metro Rail helps out with that a bit).

If money isn't an issue, I'd look at high rises. That would be easier on you too.

Museum Tower- It is kind of soft loft like but the location and views can't be beat. They can walk to Hermann Park or your mother can do the loop around Rice U. Adjacent to all the museums and restaurants of Montrose.

The Royalton- Leases are available. Overlooks Allen Parkway's trails and the bayou. Closer to the Heights and easy access to I-45 downtown to US 59 to get up to Kingwood.

If money isn't an option, The Houstonian is a rather great place and building. Wonderful walking, safe, security, valet car and grocery, close to Memorial Park. A straight shot down Memorial to access the Heights and right by the freeway to get to Kingwood. A little far from the Med Center, but not too bad of a drive.

Or as my lovely little daughter suggested:

"Don't worry dad. If all else fails, we'll just buy a house in an attic and put you up in it. We'll send up some water and tender vittles from time to time."

My response:

"I'd be more content with Fancy Feast."

• The title was changed to Elderly Parents Moving To Town Where Do I Put Them Up?

Archived