Allen Center Parking Houston Metropolitan Racquet Club

PuroAztlan

Anyone know how old this monstrosity of an eyesore parking garage is? And has anybody been in the racquetball club on the 6th floor?

I remember seeing this as a kid in the 80's riding on the pierce elevated and think how odd it was there was a "racquetball club" in a parking garage.

DSCN1100_edit3.JPG

No idea when it was built, but I've always wondered about it too. There you have one of the best views of downtown spoiled by a monstrous, hideous parking garage right in front. And are those A/C condensing units to the right of the garage? They're huge!!

No idea when it was built, but I've always wondered about it too. There you have one of the best views of downtown spoiled by a monstrous, hideous parking garage right in front. And are those A/C condensing units to the right of the garage? They're huge!!

I know right??!!

I like looking at them on cold mornings though when they have huge plumes of steam coming out of them, very soothing

• 4 weeks later...

The Met (aka, The Downtown Club) was discussed here http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...&hl=fitness

I have been a member of the Met for a number of years. As gyms go, this is one of the nicest inside the loop (indoor tennis courts, squash, racquetball, basketball, all the usual classes, and large cardio and weight training areas, not to mention the spa and restaurant). It can be a bit pricey, but is geared toward the downtown professional and so they have a number of corporate deals to get the price down.

I was at the 24 in the Galleria area until moving to a downtown job this past fall. My company offers a reduced membership to the Met/Downtown Club so I opted for that. When I filled out the membership app, I noticed they had some wicked initiation costs. Not sure how those work though, as my corporate membership had those waived. The facility is nice and has many different pay scales for those who may not want everything they have to offer. I pay just over $200 per month and that gives me full access to everything, a private locker, free breakfast buffets each morning and Houston Society membership. There is a large social component to all of this as well, plus the benefit of using other nationwide network gyms and country clubs.

Another cool thing are the professional events they have there on occasion. Theres a national womans squash invitational coming up which should be wild. Plus, in the past few months, the indoor tennis courts have been used as practice for the Seattle Supersonics and the Harlem Globetrotters, which members were encouraged to come and watch.

But, I agree, from the outside it's pretty fugly.

I just wonder how many really go there to get a good workout or to enjoy the perks of the stuff you guys mentioned. For me, when i go to a gym, i don't care for buffet, social activities, etc. I want a gym that is just good old fashioned workout with functioning fitness equipment to use. I could care less for that extra stuff or gawking at women/men like i see alot of people do.

I just wonder how many really go there to get a good workout or to enjoy the perks of the stuff you guys mentioned. For me, when i go to a gym, i don't care for buffet, social activities, etc. I want a gym that is just good old fashioned workout with functioning fitness equipment to use. I could care less for that extra stuff or gawking at women/men like i see alot of people do.

There are a lot of older people who are there for the tennis and socializing, while I think most of the younger people skip that stuff and go straight for the fitness.

The place is on three levels: The bar, huge fitness center, classrooms, and courts are all on the second (main) level. The restaurant, Bella Rinova spa, and women's locker room is on the third level, and the men's is split between the main level and the first level. It is set up such that the socializing and working out groups don't mix at all, which is nice (I don't want to watch the martini night crowd while I'm stuck with water on an elliptical). You can watch tennis from the restaurant balcony, but that's about as close as the different groups get to each other.

We work out four mornings a week, and like to hit the breakfast buffet once a week. It's all pretty healthy and good quality. I have had lunch there a few times, and it was pretty good. I wouldn't pay extra for it, but my company covers my membership, so having the meals is a nice perk.

• 7 months later...

Could an office tower be added to the top of it?...

Located in the heart of the Allen Center /Cullen Center complex, the Allen Center Garage could accommodate an office building above it. The site fronts on historic Antioch Park and would have unobstructed views to the west.

http://www.brookfieldproperties.com/proper...development.cfm

Anyone know if that was there before? i don't remember it being there

I always wondered about this building. I have always thought it was just a parking garage.

my brother worked for The Met (2001?-2005?)...It's actually nice inside...got a chance to play B-Ball and work out after my brother's shift ended (12am)...had the whole gym to myself..hehe..(wait, forget I said that) :P

Archived