Looking For Cultural Diversity In Houston

ranchstyle

Wow, that's quite a mix. I'm sure that there are plenty of interesting back stories on your family's heritage.

Anyway, I'd be the last person to say that race and ethnicity are no longer factors in American society, but saying that these experiences are akin to those from four or five generations ago doesn't really strike me as credible. Certainly not in most of suburban Houston. And you'd mentioned something about being concerned about violence or murder, but I really have a difficult time visioning that.

If you don't mind my asking, where are you moving from that these experiences were commonplace?

If I hadn't have had gift cards to blow, I'd have been .. speechless that I'd have been AT a Red Lobster.

The stars must've been perfectly aligned for both of us to have been there at the same time.

I haven't eaten there in MANY years (probably at least 10 or 12 ... wait, that's a DECADE ... sounds right) ... how is the food these days?

I haven't eaten there in MANY years (probably at least 10 or 12 ... wait, that's a DECADE ... sounds right) ... how is the food these days?

I hadn't eaten there in just as long. The food is OK. It filled me up nicely and tasted better than anything I could've ever hoped to have cooked at home. But for my money, if I need a really-damned-good seafood fix, I'll go to Topwater Grill in San Leon and have the stuffed snapper.

FWIW, I just had dinner at the Red Lobster in Sugar Land, and it was very mixed. Mostly asians, blacks, and whites...and one Greek.

Ah, that makes sense. I never go to Red Lobster. All the non-whites in Sugar Land must lurk there, at least when I'm in town.

Yanni sat in the booth next to mine; he ate alone. We left at about the same time and he drove off in a red Hyundai.

Now it's your turn to lay off the weed.

Ah, that makes sense. I never go to Red Lobster. All the non-whites in Sugar Land must lurk there, at least when I'm in town.

Now it's your turn to lay off the weed.

Wait a minute... I eat a Red Lobster... I am offended... For those that have not been in years, the "new Red Lobster" is nothing like the old. They've got a whole Joe's Crab Shack thing going on... Excuse me - I'm having trouble with my gag reflex - be back in a few...

Perhaps a moderator could move the appropriate Red Lobster comments to a new thread. I hate to have hijacked this one.

Oh, and memebag, there was no weed involved. Not even alchohol. I wasn't even engaged in a "physical expression of love." With that in mind, I'm not sure that my Yanni sighting compares to your Ferttita musings.

Certainly TheNiche,

I am Irish, Italian, Jewish and African American so we can relate my husband is Italian, Pawmunkey Indian, Bajan, and African so we to have had our fair share I am what is considered a red bone if you will and he is the same complezion as Denzel Washington! I understand and agree that Character can be born out of conflict but we would never choose to put our children through that as we know they will go through that regardless later on in life. Well all the racist things for us in our lives have become worse now as opposed to when we grew up. We have had our cars spray painted on, our porch left with dead animals in shoe , hate notes left on our desks at work, we hear niggah lover, go back to Africa, my husband hears things like "boy" and whitey lover. It is just never ending we never heard anything like this until I would honestly say 2005 and it just gets worse it seems i've had elderly Caucasian women push their shopping carts almost right through me as if I wasn't there and little children as small as 2 say blacky to my husband and their mothers and fathers just hush them along while making sure to give me the eye or whatever you want to call it. And yes we have been passed over for jobs both he and I and have gone to the EEOC about it and filed complaints with proof. That felt good but did not change or help the situation. We deal with it in our own way without being hateful or spiteful and believe me we know in this country no matter what our racial makeup is with one ounce of African American in us we are Black in americas eyes. We may look like an interracial couple when you see us but like I said we have a mixed background. Even though we choose to celebrate our mixed heritage proudly!

diversity and racism aren't mutually exclusive. a friend from college is vietnamese and her husband is from northern europe. she told me that vietnamese regularly make comments to her "she should have married her own" etc. guess you never know.

• 2 weeks later...
Isn't asking for a specific racial mix in a neighborhood racist? That's kind of like saying, I don't want to move into a neighborhood with too many black people in it, I'll take a few but not too many.

It is a "race-based" request, but pretty much the opposite of racist.

Racist / racism, by the most accepted definition is the belief that one race is superior to another.

Wanting a mix of all races is, imho, what America needs... The Great American Melting pot and whatnot...

It is a "race-based" request, but pretty much the opposite of racist.

Racist / racism, by the most accepted definition is the belief that one race is superior to another.

Wanting a mix of all races is, imho, what America needs... The Great American Melting pot and whatnot...

As far as I'm concerned, anything but an indifferent attitude towards race is racism. America needs to become more indifferent towards race, IMHO.

As far as I'm concerned, anything but an indifferent attitude towards race is racism. America needs to become more indifferent towards race, IMHO.

We need to really start mixing more then. Until we become a country with lots of mixed-races, it will still be us vs. them.

I don't think ranchstyle will be happy living ANYWHERE in this city, as it is obvious that her Utopian dream cannot be met in ANY part of this Metroplex. There will always be more of one race than the other in ANY given part of the city.

ranchstyle, it sounds like the part of NY you came from wasn't as diverse as you have led yourself to believe, but if you could please give the burrough and street you were living on, we here can give you a much better determination of what you are used to. My second question would be, if you work out of your home, and you had the exact mix you were looking for in NY already, then why did you leave and run the risk of falling into , God forbid, a neighborhood that might have a few more hispanics in it than you would like. Welcome to Houston,Texas.

BTW, I don't believe your B.S. about NOBODY disrespected ANYBODY else throughout the five burroughs. You can go peddle that nonsense elsewhere.

We need to really start mixing more then. Until we become a country with lots of mixed-races, it will still be us vs. them.

Mixing is a start, but mixed-race folks have their own crosses to bear. There is not end-all-be-all solution to idiot racists.

I'm saying that the best response is a shrug. ____ racist people. Move on.