New And Improved Haif:now

editor

The feature formerly known as HAIF_crack is now known as HAIF:Now.

Why the change? Since most people use it at work, calling it HAIF:Now will make it more palatable to unenlightened bosses who might wander by.

Other improvements:

• More mobile-device friendly, especially for iPhones and other multi-tap devices.
  • The OMGWTFBBQ button has been replaced by a "boss" button that you can click if you think someone's looking over your shoulder.
  • There's a button for it near the top of each HAIF page.

Lately I've found HAIF:Now to be one of the best ways to keep up with HAIF. It's like "View New Posts" in nearly real-time. It's a great little window to have open on your desktop while you're doing other things.

The feature formerly known as HAIF_crack is now known as HAIF:Now.

Why the change? Since most people use it at work, calling it HAIF:Now will make it more palatable to unenlightened bosses who might wander by.

I don't get the boss function, is there a "boss key"?

I wish I could have my browser opened, like at my last gig, but the internet use here is closely monitored.

I don't get the boss function, is there a "boss key"?

I wish I could have my browser opened, like at my last gig, but the internet use here is closely monitored.

There is a link at the top of the page that reads "Here comes the boss!"

When you click on it, you're taken to the front page of Google News.

So, for those of us who are less technically-sophistacted when it comes to corporate internet usage: Does anyone know if using HAIFnow (i.e., a webpage that constantly refreshes) will impact reported internet usage? I tend to have Gmail open all day, and it constantly refreshes as well. Does each refresh look like I'm just surfing the web all day at work?

LOL, well for me, either one would be a case to get disciplined, internet use that is not work related is a big no-no during work hours.

So HAIF or Google news, for me at least, is the same thing.

So, for those of us who are less technically-sophistacted when it comes to corporate internet usage: Does anyone know if using HAIFnow (i.e., a webpage that constantly refreshes) will impact reported internet usage? I tend to have Gmail open all day, and it constantly refreshes as well. Does each refresh look like I'm just surfing the web all day at work?

Well, it is useless, because the beauty of HAIF-ing to to read the entire thread, and post.

HAIF:Now is only good to see the latest topics and who posted them, nothing more.

*sigh*, well my lunch break is winding down, I may sneak on for a sec or two later today, but until then, farewell! :(

It shouldn't impact reported internet use much at all. Remember, it was designed to be light for people with dialup and cellular connections.

The entire payload for a HAIF:Now page, including graphics is around 48k -- about the size of an e-mail.

To compare:

• HAIF:Now - 48k
  • Microsoft: 264k
  • Google News - 292k
  • Yahoo! - 456k
  • CNN - 812k

Each HAIF:Now refresh looks like you clicked on a new link to a new web page.

LOL, well for me, either one would be a case to get disciplined, internet use that is not work related is a big no-no during work hours.

So HAIF or Google news, for me at least, is the same thing.

cbssportsline.com allows you to watch the mens bb tourny games online. They're 'boss' button is great. It switches instantly to a spreadsheet and stuff. Things that actually look like work.

Where does one change their skin settings so that these features are more apparent if not available at all.

Do you have a drop-down box for it in the lower left-hand part of the screen next to the orange RSS button?

Since I'd have to scroll up and click on "Here comes the boss!" if the boss were to come, it'd increase the odds that he'd get a glance at the phrase "Here comes the boss!" that I'd be clicking on. How about something less overt?

Since I'd have to scroll up and click on "Here comes the boss!" if the boss were to come, it'd increase the odds that he'd get a glance at the phrase "Here comes the boss!" that I'd be clicking on. How about something less overt?

I've replaced the text with something a little more innocuous.

I've linked the link to something a little more work-related.

I've put a boss link at the bottom of the page, too.

Where does one change their skin settings so that these features are more apparent if not available at all.

There are only two public skins on HAIF. Regular and ad-free. Both have the HAIF:Now link near the top of the page next to the links for radioHAIF, HAIF-TV, Blogs, Gallery, etc...

• 6 months later...

I've updated HAIF:Now a little bit. The link to the mobile (diet) version of threads works more reliably now. And there's now an option to open new threads in new windows (good for iPhone/iTouch users). I've also tried to make the display a little more mobile friendly.

Archived