• 1 year later...

http://bldgblog.blogspot.com/2009/02/hotelier-of-sea.html

I ran across this today and thought it was interesting and related to Houston. But what really got my attention was the modular buildings. I think there are already a couple of them in the Houston area.

I saw them about a month or so ago at a friends place of business. When I asked him about them all he would say was that they were some "test modules" and related to Ike housing that had been shipped in the Port of Houston. To me they looked like the prefab units they use to build out the rooms on a cruise ship.

Not sure I would want to stay on a platform if I didn't ahve to for work. Not much to do out there. And as an investor, I can't imagine how much insurance would cost. There is also the issue that most GoM platforms aren't very big, particularly compared to North Sea platforms.

I do like th eidea of using shipping containers for emporary housing after storms It's not hard to turn a contianer into a decent living space, and they are stackable. We've seriously considered using one on the deer lease.

• 2 weeks later...

Another issue is that a lot of the platforms were designed for a "life expectancy" of 20-30 years, which many have already exceeded. I'm not sure how many have been to production facilities in the gulf, but they aren't exactly many people's idea of paradise. Whats next? Turning landfills into golf courses? Oh wait...

• The title was changed to Morris Architects

Archived