Gulf Building Annexes

DMac

Ran across a couple of references as noted below & have tried googleing via several subjects w/out any luck. So I turn to the one solid source {HAIF} where I'm sure someone will have an answer.

Two annexes, one of 13 stories and the other of 16, were added after World War II but are freestanding structures and not attached to the building proper. source: http://www.texasescapes.com/Houston/Gulf-B...uston-Texas.htm

Two annexes were subsequently added in 1946 and 1949, both designed by Alfred C. Finn. source: http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/...es/GG/ccg6.html

I would like to read specific details as to construction and see photos. All the photos I've seen concentrate on the main 37 story structure.

I just happened to have a copy of the Houston Architectural Bible Guide sitting next to me, and strangely it doesn't mention anything about the annexes.

I bet there are some HAIFers who know, though. And someone probably has a before and after postcard.

I just happened to have a copy of the Houston Architectural Bible Guide sitting next to me, and strangely it doesn't mention anything about the annexes.

I bet there are some HAIFers who know, though. And someone probably has a before and after postcard.

Thank you! I am familiar w/the Hou Arc Guide & am very surprised that no data is included for the 2 separate Bldg's. I do know that when I get back to the city I will do a complete walk around the Gulf to try and determine if there are indeed 2 separate annexes. My thanking is that one of them is the original Nat'l Bank of Commerce w/a Travis str. address & entrance, and as best I can recall as I stood across the str. in front of Houston Club & look upward it was smaller that the 37 flr Gulf but I couldn't see where it was a stand alone structure. It appeared to be blended in w/main Gulf Bldg.

A follow uo question if I may. If you were gonna research the geneaology of an old historic Bldg. {say approx. 100 years old} that is still standing today, & wanted to know who has owned the Bldg for all those decades, where might you begin? I know how to look up block #'s for properties but I do not know where to go to read owner(s) of record.

The original Gulf building structures were the tower, on the southeast quarter of the block, and the banking hall, which extends directly behind the tower to Travis. If you look on the 1940 Downtowner map you can see the layout. The two annexes would have been on the Travis side, immediately north and south of the banking hall. All the structures are now connected, but when you are inside the building it is very apparent that they were stitched together at a later date. The annexes are very nice and complement the tower section. Without a doubt one of the finest structures in Houston.

The original Gulf building structures were the tower, on the southeast quarter of the block, and the banking hall, which extends directly behind the tower to Travis. If you look on the 1940 Downtowner map you can see the layout. The two annexes would have been on the Travis side, immediately north and south of the banking hall. All the structures are now connected, but when you are inside the building it is very apparent that they were stitched together at a later date. The annexes are very nice and complement the tower section. Without a doubt one of the finest structures in Houston.

Thank you Subdude. As always your insightfull input is welcomed and most reliable. Over the past couple of years you have provided me w/sum most interesting & accurate data. Looking @ the '40 Downtowner I do see where the to the north {Gavvel Bros., Cafe, & Gulf Blue Print} & south {Redman's, Houston Seed, Central Cleaners, Rettig's, & Ones a Meal} of the banking hall the 2 annexes would be placed. Next trip in I will get some photos.

Also @ Julia's there is another map similar to the Downtowner's {the 1 there appears to be the original, but I got mine @ SFA in Nacogdoches} only the blocks are approx. twice the size and more recent w/the very tall skyscrappers on it. Next time I'm there I will get reference # for you. I've been giving some thought to drawing up my own 2K8 map as an overlay of the 1940 map. When I was there in early Jan. I researched Downtowner in several of the directories w/negative results. But will continue to search them out. Also doing some historical searches for the 3 city directory companies {Cole, M&F & Polk's} since I discovered that both Polk & Morrison & Fourmy occupied the same set of suites {310-12} & phone #'s in the Zindler Bldg. {218 Fannin}. I'm trying to tie the 2 firms together since they shared same office & phone #. Wouldn't thank competetors would do that. I believe Polk is still publishing w/home office in Dallas or Detroit.

The GBA (Gulf Building Annex) is on the southwest corner of the block with an entrance on Rusk. TCB (Texas Commerce Building) is on the northwest corner of the block with an entrance on Capitol. The bank extension that faces Travis has connecting lobbies with all of these including the Gulf Building on level one. Each building has it's own elevator risers. The final floor that any of these buildings connect is on level 6.

There is some confusion on levels 2 and 3. Gulf Building does not connect at all on levels 2. GBA does not connect with TCB on level 3 except back through the Gulf Building. This repeats itself on level 4 somewhat but the floors do not line up (there is a ramp). There are some weird bathrooms in the corners of the original 1929 bank extension facing Travis that can only be reached by a narrow stairway on either side of the lobby. These were dusty old originals in 1984 when we completed the remodel of the Gulf Building.

We also discovered a complete set of bathrooms in the basement locked up and not in use. We were told that they were for colored use and were just locked up in the early 60's. I had to crawl over the wall into the stalls to unlock the doors so we could access the plumbing pipes in the walls. (creepy)

The GBA (Gulf Building Annex) is on the southwest corner of the block with an entrance on Rusk. TCB (Texas Commerce Building) is on the northwest corner of the block with an entrance on Capitol. The bank extension that faces Travis has connecting lobbies with all of these including the Gulf Building on level one. Each building has it's own elevator risers. The final floor that any of these buildings connect is on level 6.

There is some confusion on levels 2 and 3. Gulf Building does not connect at all on levels 2. GBA does not connect with TCB on level 3 except back through the Gulf Building. This repeats itself on level 4 somewhat but the floors do not line up (there is a ramp). There are some weird bathrooms in the corners of the original 1929 bank extension facing Travis that can only be reached by a narrow stairway on either side of the lobby. These were dusty old originals in 1984 when we completed the remodel of the Gulf Building.

We also discovered a complete set of bathrooms in the basement locked up and not in use. We were told that they were for colored use and were just locked up in the early 60's. I had to crawl over the wall into the stalls to unlock the doors so we could access the plumbing pipes in the walls. (creepy)

Yeah, I remember the funky bathrooms with the green fixtures from when I worked there. The floors in the different sections were out of alignment, but I thought there was a connection on a higher floor than 6 across the annexes. It's been a while though.

Yeah, I remember the funky bathrooms with the green fixtures from when I worked there. The floors in the different sections were out of alignment, but I thought there was a connection on a higher floor than 6 across the annexes. It's been a while though.

You are right Sub. It's been several years now, so my brain is a bit fuzzy. There were some connections up to around levels 8 or 9, but we had them blocked off during renovations.

Thank you DMac for creating this thread, I love the original Gulf Building. And THANK YOU Subdude and plumber2 for the information. I always knew there was an annex but never could figure out the layout. I pass through this building a few times each week and am always fascinated with the ground floor and how they all come together.

Couple of questions please. I've read where both annexes were built after World War II, 1946 & 1949 I believe. Which came first? The South part (Rusk & Travis) or the taller North part (Capital & Travis). Also, regarding plumber2:

"There are some weird bathrooms in the corners of the original 1929 bank extension facing Travis"

Are these bathrooms accesible to the public? From your description I'm guessing it's those silver doors on either side of the Travis street exit from the bank hall extension that would lead to them? I explored the bldg today but was afraid an alarm or something might go off if I attempted to open one of them although there is no "Employees Only or "Private" signs posted.

Thanks again, I really enjoyed this thread.

Edited by EspersonBuildings

Thank you DMac for creating this thread, I love the original Gulf Building. And THANK YOU Subdude and plumber2 for the information. I always knew there was and annex but never could figure out the layout. I pass through this building a few times each week and am always fascinated with the ground floor and how they all come together.

Couple of questions please. I've read where both annexes were built after World War II, 1946 & 1949 I believe. Which came first? The South part (Rusk & Travis) or the taller North part (Capital & Travis). Also, regarding plumber2:

"There are some weird bathrooms in the corners of the original 1929 bank extension facing Travis"

Are these bathrooms accesible to the public? From your description I'm guessing it's those silver doors on either side of the Travis street exit from the bank hall extension that would lead to them? I explored the bldg today but was afraid an alarm or something might go off if I attempted to open one of them although there is no "Employees Only or "Private" signs posted.

Thanks again, Ireally enjoyed this thread.

Yes Esperson, those are the two doors that lead up to these restrooms.

Thank you DMac for creating this thread, I love the original Gulf Building. And THANK YOU Subdude and plumber2 for the information. I always knew there was an annex but never could figure out the layout. I pass through this building a few times each week and am always fascinated with the ground floor and how they all come together.

You are certainly welcomed.. I have such a passion for the old city as I remember it from the late 40's as you will discover w/in the coming weeks as I continue to seek/share data & photos re: the older historic Bldg's all over the downtown dist. See attached street scene photo {1928} Main @ Commerce looking south. FYI, point of reference. Foley Bros. is 400 block & the grand old Gulf Bldg. is 700 block.

post-1976-1204168278_thumb.jpg

Edited by DMac

Couple of questions please. I've read where both annexes were built after World War II, 1946 & 1949 I believe. Which came first? The South part (Rusk & Travis) or the taller North part (Capital & Travis).

I think the south part came first, but I'm afraid I don't have a source for that other than someone mentioning it when I worked in the building.

You should set off the alarm. Sounds so tempting. Just act casual and do it. Its been a long time since I have seen you pop up on Haif! I love the name Esperson Buildings. I heard some people have tied the knot at the top of the Esperson Buildings. Great! :D

I think the south part came first, but I'm afraid I don't have a source for that other than someone mentioning it when I worked in the building.

I would tend to agree with Subdude, just from the looks of the infastructure, such as the types of piping and valves we removed, lends me to believe that GBA is older than TCB.

FYI. Some Gulf Bldg. reference notes from Julia's research center.

Gulf Bldg chronology

1912 Bank Of Commerce chartered w/JJ as President.

1926 BOC officers/directors declared larger 1/4's ecured

1927 final determination made to erect skyscrapper bldg

1297, late summer, ground breaking took place

2-10-28 first steel beams point skyward @ project site

6-4-28 first brick was laid

11-26-28 Masonary was "topped in" & excepting windows/ornamentation, ourwardly the tower was complete

4-16 {Tues}-29 1st tenants, Sakowitz Bros. occupied there chosen location on the first 5 flrs

8-1-29 ALL tenants are occupying there spaces

general scheme of bldg is 30 story shaft resting upon center of 6 story base

Access to observation tower on roof is via metal/marble staircase

450' above ground level is JJ's aeronatical airmail beacon auth by USD of Commerce, 2 shaft of lite 1 w/15K candle pwr pointed vertical & 1 w/8K candle pwr pointed horizonal to Hobby airport

exterior floodlighting is w/232 projectors distributed tween 22nd flr & top of bldg. collectively disbursing 12,600,000 candle power

Jly 3, 1912 NBC is organized

Jly 8, 1912 NBC is chartered

1st do'n business w/n the commerical Bank Bldg located @ Main & Franklin

3-14-14 moved to Mason bldg 5 1/2 blocks so.

7-11-16 moved yet again to an inside section of original Gulf bldg located directly x str from '29 high rise

Travis entrance N2 bank'n lobby which measures 70' widex 112' long x 43' high

setbacks R located @ 25th, 28th, & 32nd flrs.

just months after opening, market crash of '29 occurred

800K sq. ft original highrise + 2 annexes over the years

sum const. #'s 1million bricks, frame required 11 mil pounds of steel, sand/gravel 459K cubic yards, 100K sacks of cement w/ea sack weightin 100 #'s, 40 miles electrical conduit,

105 miles of wiring, 2K circuits, 27 miles of piping for HVAC, height 748.6' or 37 flrs, 6.75 mil cubic ft in space, 1000 offics. bldg pop estimated @ 2500, 35K people move thru lobby/day

Edited by DMac

I would tend to agree with Subdude, just from the looks of the infastructure, such as the types of piping and valves we removed, lends me to believe that GBA is older than TCB.

Plummer 2 or Subdude! As regards specific timeline for const. of BOTH annexes only, would that data maybe be available @ office of the Bldg., architech or contractors office {providing both are still in business today} or lastly GHPA, suite 110 in the Gulf Bldg? And one additional question if I may. How would I go about determining block # for Bldg. in order to research property records @ Cnty assessors or clerks office?

• The title was changed to Gulf Building Annexes