What Would You Do For Houston?

If you were a developer, or had money, what would you build in Houston that you have seen in another city? It could be your favorite building, shopping center, lifestyle center, hotel, town homes, condos etc. Something that you saw and thought "Ah! I wish we had it in Houston!". A picture would be nice :) I am not talking about transformation of the entire city, just a realistic project.

Or it could be your imagination. Hey, ya never know, may be some developer sees it here and actually make it happen :P

Since I am from Seattle, I could start it off. How about a Target store like this one in Seattle (I know it has been mentioned before):

http://www.touchstonecorp.com/project.jsp?id=6

I just thought it could be a fun thread.

I'd purchase plenty of parcels in Midtown, and on the near east side, and devlop many great mixed use projects. I would really clean the place up, and thus, this would increase interest in inner city living, especially with many new amenities everywhere.

Then, I would build new cutural centers, and the funds would be collected through multiple means..

If I had A LOT of money I would buy new Perry Homes (the especially bad ones), dismantle them, recycle the materials, and build quality, site specific projects in their place. During all this I would hire a director and crew to make a reality TV show called "Extreme Makeover - Death to Perry Homes Edition."

If I had A LOT of money I would buy new Perry Homes (the especially bad ones), dismantle them, recycle the materials, and build quality, site specific projects in their place. During all this I would hire a director and crew to make a reality TV show called "Extreme Makeover - Death to Perry Homes Edition."

Seeing that article about Perry home made me angry too. However, I think KB homes are supposed to be even worse than Perry so maybe one could start with them.

Its a little outside the scope of your question but a large modern train station, the tracks and bullet trains to New Orleans, Dallas, Austin and San Antonio (maybe Mexico City if they play nice). Reminding SW airlines what competition is all about.

Heres a favorite Calatrava (Lisbon):

orient2.jpg

I would built a Walmart Supercenter, complete with a 12 stall Murphy gas station in front. It would be the biggest one in Houston, with twice the parking lot for those last minute christmas shoppers. I would also have parcels in the front to open a Chili's, a Subway, and a Payless Shoe store.

Man, how cool would that be? :)

There is one problem with this idea. We already got this kind of cool stuff in Houston ;)

I'd purchase a group of blocks (in midtown, or to the north along the soon to be built LRT extension) and create some super eco-friendly apartment complexes ideally for college students, or people just out of college. These complexes would feature a smaller version of a pedestrian mall that would cut *through* the center of the blocks and would link the blocks together. This mall would feature shops, bars, cobblestone paving, and plenty of bicycle parking. That way, people would have an urban environment but without the traffic and exhaust. Along the outer edge of this development I wouldn't actually have ground-level retail (not until the rest of teh area got built up some and there was some more traffic to justify it) but it would be constructed in such a way that if ground level retail along the perimeter were justified, the units there (or parking, or whatever happens to be there) could easily be shelled and converted into shops with minimal hassle and quick turnaround.

Also, I'd find a way to buy that old underground Houston and convert it into a secret bar/card club, the way people way back when used to throw parties in caves and caverns back in the '30s. I'd be very generous towards the local officials so that it wouldn't be shut down :) In fact, they would be welcome guests at this club, and it would be the sort of place where bipartisan deals would be struck on the important issues of the day.

Living in Boston, I'd have to go with the Columbus Center. This development will be built over the MassPike connecting the Bay Village neighborhood with the South End. It will include a 34 story tower containing a 190 room luxury hotel, 150 condos, 317 parking spaces, and nearly 30,000 of ground level retail. The next largest building will be a 10-14 story midrise with 160 rental apartments over street retail. The third component will incorporate 140 townhome type condos in 4-6 story buildings that will engulf and block from view a 600 car garage. The final component will be "pocket parks" providing green space for the new residents as well as to local folks in Bay Village, South End, and Chinatown.

Imagine something like this connecting downtown to Midtown, the old Chinatown, or even the Buffalo Bayou Park/old 4th ward...

columbuscenter1.jpg

columbuscenter2.jpg

columbuscenter3.jpg

If you were a developer, or had money, what would you build in Houston that you have seen in another city? It could be your favorite building, shopping center, lifestyle center, hotel, town homes, condos etc. Something that you saw and thought "Ah! I wish we had it in Houston!". A picture would be nice :) I am not talking about transformation of the entire city, just a realistic project.

Or it could be your imagination. Hey, ya never know, may be some developer sees it here and actually make it happen  :P

Since I am from Seattle, I could start it off. How about a Target store like this one in Seattle (I know it has been mentioned before):

http://www.touchstonecorp.com/project.jsp?id=6

I just thought it could be a fun thread.

Great site.......... :)

If I was a Donald Trump (without the hair ;) ) I would love to invest in the following for Houston.

Downtown- I know we already have several, BUT I would have an internationally known skyscraper (900'+) built. I mean something to rival things like the Chrystler Building or the new one in London. AND it doesn't neccessarily have to be the tallest........just classy looking and a world wide hit among critics. Something with a spire on top. Downtown needs a spire. :rolleyes:

Midtown- Just keep following the trend.......... More midrise condos, More medical centers and such.......... Maybe expand the zoo to a safari type facility.

Uptown- Oh.............Uptown. Make it into a pedestrian friendly Times Square-like place. I know some other posts are afraid it would become tacky...........but we could keep it in the high brow tradition of the Galleria area and still offer high tech entertainment...

Just to add a bit of flair to Houston's seemingly unbridled zoning situation......... Put a 40-50 story skyscraper at every interchange. Could you imagine the look of the city coming in from anywhere??

Light rail............expansion...................... to not only the inner city...........but follow existing routes to all the suberbs.

.........and one more to grow on....................a major theme park..............other than astroworld................ around the Sugar Land or Katy area.

..........yeah...........I suppose I am talking billions of dollars...........but hey.........you said to dream. :P

m.

I'd line the bottom of Buffalo Bayou, ship channel, & Galveston Bay with sand & crushed coral . . . to trap sediment and turn the water into a crystaline turquoise color. I'd also build lushly coverd foot-hills that lead down to the water's edge. Women will wear flowers in their hair and pareos wrapped around their bodies, men will wear sarongs and flipflops . . . wait a minute, this is beginning to sound like Bora Bora! . . . oh well . . .

Forget the developers, we need the city to step up to the plate. 

Developers are happy making their money, but you don't see many that "care".

Th city should start by creating more pedestrian zones and open areas.

I agree..........I wish there could be a consortium created of Hard-Core Houston enthusiasts........who obviously LOVE the city and her potential. Then all developers would have to go through this consortium to build anything..........so that there is a rhyme and reason for the urban pattern.......and not just willy nilly building .....which yes, shamefully true, happens to make developers more money without any regard to asthetics.

m.

Wow! So that is what the new Target looks like. I remember when they broke ground for that! When did you move down? My Lady and I use to Live near Bremerton near the ferry landing.

Any way I think I would improve the public transportation with more trolleys. Not the trains that are running now but nice little ones that you see in New Orleans and San Francisco but ours would be air-conditioned. I would put them back down on many of the old right a-ways that re still all around the city and many of the old no longer in use rail lines. Then I would eliminate large buss service to some areas like down town. I also like the rail passenger station idea with bullet style trains linking the Major cities around Texas and the adjoining states.

I moved about 4 months ago. It is indeed a big change, moving to Seattle to Houston, isnt it?

Oh my yes! We moved a few years ago and it took us a long time to adjust to many things. We miss going to Seattle and just walking around. The downtown here is not made for casual visitors especially on the weekends. One of our highlights was going down town for the weekend and just walking around looking at the musicians, Pikes Place market, Taking the Tunnel from West Park to China town or back again. Or any number of things. We also use to spend a lot of time at Doc Maenads (Sorry about the spelling). Houston has a long way to go before it can even come close to Seattle.

Now if you want to make Houston great make access to down town easier and provide more parking and free parking on the weekends. Encourage more activities on the weekends for down town and make them free. Or the majority of them free. A huge shopping type district like a semi-permanent flea market (EXP: Pikes place market in Seattle). Allow musicians to ply their trade and lots of other stuff. More shops as well that are open on the weekends. Right now downtown is a ghost town on the weekends. About the only thing they do not do is roll up the sidewalks.

Instead of monorail, how about high speed express mag-levs from downtown to all the outlying communities? And then more above ground rail instead of buses. Some city in Russia or EU has these trains elevated above the streets by this insane infrastructure. Subways in Houston aren't viable due to flooding.

For residential, I would build using quality materials, like stone; brick, 'crete, etc. How long will these quarter million townhomes last when made out of pressed particle board? The lifespan isn't too long with anything wood in this humid town. The pricing of them is pretty outrageous too.

I love the pocket parks idea, but many of the great ideas in this thread are fantacy, sadly.

What saddens me most are the residential developments in suburbia. Up around Spring, developers have a parcel for a new subdivion, and just doze *all* the trees down. The Woodlands and other old subdivision developmens built around trees and small greenbelts. Its sooo tacty and classless, not to mention less attractive to have no mature trees, and it makes it all hotter with less leaves around. Such a crying shame.

After reading some of the posts on this thread and others I got to thinking and I feel that good zoning and more green areas with lots and lots of trees (Not the stupid palm trees that are going up every where) would go a long way in impoving the way this city looks.

After reading some of the posts on this thread and others I got to thinking and I feel that good zoning and more green areas with lots and lots of trees (Not the stupid palm trees that are going up every where) would go a long way in impoving the way this city looks.

Hey, where are those palm trees? I havent seen many of those except a few planted here and there. Did you mean Clear Lake area?

Oh my yes! We moved a few years ago and it took us a long time to adjust to many things. We miss going to Seattle and just walking around. The downtown here is not made for casual visitors especially on the weekends. One of our highlights was going down town for the weekend and just walking around looking at the musicians, Pikes Place market, Taking the Tunnel from West Park to China town or back again. Or any number of things. We also use to spend a lot of time at Doc Maenads (Sorry about the spelling). Houston has a long way to go before it can even come close to Seattle.

Now if you want to make Houston great make access to down town easier and provide more parking and free parking on the weekends. Encourage more activities on the weekends for down town and make them free. Or the majority of them free. A huge shopping type district like a semi-permanent flea market (EXP: Pikes place market in Seattle). Allow musicians to ply their trade and lots of other stuff. More shops as well that are open on the weekends. Right now downtown is a ghost town on the weekends. About the only thing they do not do is roll up the sidewalks.

I agree Hunter. It's just too bad we have incompetent and corrupt leaders.

Hey, where are those palm trees? I havent seen many of those except a few planted here and there. Did you mean Clear Lake area?

How can you miss them. They are along the sides of almost every major freeway and Hwy in the Houston area. I also see them on many of the major roads and some streets.