Museum Destroys $23k Student Donation

editor

A bunch of high school students in Arizona spent three years and $23,000 building a civil war diorama for the Texas Military Forces Museum in Austin. When it was delivered, the museum had it destroyed. Strange way to say "thanks."

Full story

Sheesh...you have to wonder about people sometimes. So I guess the museum's options were:

1.) Display, or

2.) Destroy

Couldn't they have just sent it back?? lol... Interesting that they had based their "historically inaccurate" diorama on the museum director's own book

Sheesh...you have to wonder about people sometimes. So I guess the museum's options were:

1.) Display, or

2.) Destroy

Couldn't they have just sent it back?? lol... Interesting that they had based their "historically inaccurate" diorama on the museum director's own book

That would mean his book is incorrect. Nice job Mr.Hunt, here's your sign.

Does anyone know how "inaccurate" it was? Perhaps it was so horribly wrong that any sane person would have been compelled to take an axe to it. For instance, do we know for a fact that the soldiers weren't suspended in jars of urine?

Does anyone know how "inaccurate" it was? Perhaps it was so horribly wrong that any sane person would have been compelled to take an axe to it. For instance, do we know for a fact that the soldiers weren't suspended in jars of urine?

LOL, that'd be an interesting piece of "art"... Looking at the original work, how inaccurate could it possibly be? Did they have the little guys on the wrong side? Is the boat headed the wrong way?

Another picture of it. What is this? A bunch of bodies on the ground? This looks worse than a second grade science fair project.

That photo was taken after the "dismantling."

it doesn't look nearly as torn up as i imagined

Creating, painting and placing the figures was probably the most time-consuming part of the work.

Seems that Mr. Hunt should have to put it back together...from the photos I think it could be done.

Surely, the kids and the school have a BEFORE picture for reference, and for when they take Mr. Hunt to court over this matter. I see it as willful destruction of property. I guess it just depends on how the work was given or loaned to the Museum. I hope Mr. Hunt just sends it back to them, he doesn't deserve it now. Mr. Hunt should get the "Jackass of The Year" honor.

Not too much detail in the picture, but even if there were leprechauns fighting, Hunt should have been more thoughtful about his actions...

o937e9.jpg

I don't know about the historical inaccuracies, but anyone who's been to Brownsville or elsewhere in the RGV know that the mountains painted in the background are just *slightly* geographically inaccurate! :blink:

Archived