Female Referee Removed From Game In Kansas

HtownWxBoy

Pathetic. So it's okay to name the academy after a woman, but it's not okay for a woman to be in a "position of authority over boys". You're right, HtownWxBoy. It certainly does smack of Saudi-style sexism. How embarrassing for Kansas, especially after that b.s. with the evolution "hearings" in 2005. For those of you who are unaware, the Flying Spaghetti Monster finally chose to defeat those ignorant folks.

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/02/13/...ion-History.php

All things are possible through His Noodly Appendage. RAmen...

Pathetic. So it's okay to name the academy after a woman, but it's not okay for a woman to be in a "position of authority over boys". You're right, HtownWxBoy. It certainly does smack of Saudi-style sexism. How embarrassing for Kansas, especially after that b.s. with the evolution "hearings" in 2005. For those of you who are unaware, the Flying Spaghetti Monster finally chose to defeat those ignorant folks.

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/02/13/...ion-History.php

All things are possible through His Noodly Appendage. RAmen...

If you want to get an even better idea of Kansas politics, read this book. As sad as this is... this incident took place on the grounds of a religious institution... not sure how much legal recourse there would be, if any, in this case (I would guess none, which is fine with me)... Obviously, this couldn't happen in a public school (or if it did, it would be lawsuit time)...

EDIT: Want to make it clear that discrimination on the grounds of gender, race, age, sexual orientation, etc. is wrong... but religious institutions, as whacky as they are, can do/believe whatever they want as permitted under the Constitution (which I am 'fine with.')

... but religious institutions, as whacky as they are, can do/believe whatever they want as permitted under the Constitution...

Except, no, they can't. They can't kill people, or let them smoke weed, or enslave their enemies, or marry chickens. A religion is given latitude as long as it's like the religion most people sort of believe in, but that's not written into the Constitution.

Flying Spaghetti Monster Rules!

He has touched us all with his noodly appendage!

I have said it before and I'll say it again.. religious nutbags in America are NO different than religious nutbags in Saudi Arabia.... in Saudi Arabia they just have more power to be crazy.

I agree. I find it ironic that many of the Christian fundamentalists who are so afraid of Muslims often propose ideas very similar to islamic fundamentalist societies (prayer and religion in public school, mixing the church and state, bans on abortion and gay marriage, etc).

The doctrine in which they imposed this rule for the basketball game is not in line w/ what the Bible teaches. It does say women should not teach over men, but it's talking in the context of teaching the Bible. The Bible is not specific in regards to situations outside of that. Therefore, they really don't have any grounds for making that decision.

Except, no, they can't. They can't kill people, or let them smoke weed, or enslave their enemies, or marry chickens. A religion is given latitude as long as it's like the religion most people sort of believe in, but that's not written into the Constitution.

People can practice any religion they want, regardless of how many people "sort of believe in" it. And, yes, that is in the US Constitution, First Amendment (freedom of association, speech, etc.)... If religions were to go the path of the examples you site, that would certainly make interesting case law... On a higher level of just blatant, irrational discrimination, they can pretty much do as they please in that regard. That certainly appeals to certain elements in our society, and they need that draw to fill their coffers, somehow.

The doctrine in which they imposed this rule for the basketball game is not in line w/ what the Bible teaches. It does say women should not teach over men, but it's talking in the context of teaching the Bible. The Bible is not specific in regards to situations outside of that. Therefore, they really don't have any grounds for making that decision.

Unless they see women as subservient to men, which the Bible does make some mention of... Clearly, you cannot have a woman... calling the shots... (I couldn't resist). And in the end, it doesn't matter what the Bible says or does not say, it

Unless they see women as subservient to men, which the Bible does make some mention of... Clearly, you cannot have a woman... calling the shots... (I couldn't resist). And in the end, it doesn't matter what the Bible says or does not say, it's their interpretation that counts, no matter how flawed it is. Again, you couldn't get away with this in a public institution, but you can't keep the whackos from being whacky - it's their right.

Right, I'm saying their interpretation is wrong. They've made a universal application to all circumstances, when the Bible does not.

I agree. I find it ironic that many of the Christian fundamentalists who are so afraid of Muslims often propose ideas very similar to islamic fundamentalist societies (prayer and religion in public school, mixing the church and state, bans on abortion and gay marriage, etc).

You're correct to a certain extent. The muslim fundamentalists in the middle east are just now getting to be as tolerant as the European Chrisitans were 500 years ago.

Maybe in 500 years Islamic fundamentalists will be having a discussion over a referee in a sporting event instead of deciding if a man should be able to "honor kill" his sister or if women should be able to drive.

In your eyes, they violate "the law" all the time - and it's perfectly legal, because of their status as a religious institution. Look no further than what happened here. It is illegal to discriminate on the basis of sex, in a public school, but OK in a private/religious setting. I would even go as far to say that they even get away with murder (you kiss the snake, it bites you, you die - and there are still churches 'out there' that do this.) You can marry a chicken, in your church, but it won't be valid in the eyes of the state... They can pretty much do whatever they want, until someone takes them to court and their first amendment rights get weighed against other facts of the case (that's what I meant when I said as permitted under the Constitution...)

Only they can't. Old school Mormons can't practice polygamy, Rastas can't smoke weed and Santeria's can't kill animals. We tolerate religious practices only when they don't stray too far from the generally accepted mainstream. Removing a female referee based on her gender is against the law, but will probably be tolerated because gender bias is woven into Judeo-Christian tradition.

Archived