Cabo's On FM 518 Closed?

neonurse97

I was driving down 518 and noticed that Cabo's has closed and there's already a sign up for a new restaurant. Anyone know what happened? Was business that bad?

Cabo's was the absolute WORST!! The thing about Pearland that I do like is if your business is subpar, people will let you know with their feet. You have to "bring it"to make it out here. Anyway, the new grill/bar is Norton's Grill and Pub. http://nortonsgrillandpub.com/ I don't know anything about them.

Also, where the Buffalo Wild Wings use to be there is a business call Wild Geese Tavern opening soon. I peeped in their window and the improvements seem to be a step up as they have a lot of dark hardwood on everything.

Yeah, you have to bring it.....so says Olive Garden, TGI Friday's, On The Border, IHOP, and soon to come Golden Corral and Taco Cabana.

Wait, BW3s closed? Seriously? That place was ALWAYS packed. There is no way it wasn't making money.

BW3's not closed as far as I know. I think the place he is referring to is a location they were at prior to moving to their current location although I think it may not have been a BW3 but rather a knockoff that didn't make it. As far as resturants in Pearland granted there are chain places that thrive but what I have seen is if service or quality or price gets out of line then the place is in danger. I ate a Cabo's once and the place was freezing cold, the food was very expensive, and the quality was no better than Taco Bell. Mely's used to be the place to go before they moved into their new place in front od BW3, but once they moved the quality fell and the people stopped going. Now they are gone.

Taco Cabana? Really? They built the little building on North Main that became Prince's, then Taqueria Arandas. Are they going to try again?

I never even made it to Cabo. I am astounded that Casa Ole is here. But then there are lots of food places in Pearland I miss:

Mely's

"The Grille"

Joseph's Gulf Coast Kitchen

Winston's burgers (think Fuddrucker's, but independent)

Ninfa's drive through

Rally's drive through

Pizza Hut

Joe's Bar-BQ, and it's later incarnation Grand Prize

Zydeco (Kitchen)

Taco Cabana

Prince's

50 Flavors Ice Cream

Great Eats Grill

Cafe Lemond

You can't hardly drive down the street without passing the site of some place good that is gone now. And, sad to say, in spite of its success and growth, I have been disappointed in Central Texas Bar B Q the last several times I've been there.

I don't know about the Pearland location specifically, but I do know that the group that owns and runs the Cabos around town has been in real trouble for many years.

I always thought their quality was very good, but their value was a bit sub par. The buzz about them for as long as I can remember is that they were a great concept, but poorly run business that capitalized on one very successful location (Shepherd) and overbuilt (and overpaid) for a location (Downtown) that has struggled to tread water for 8 years.

I'm not clear on whether all subsequent locations were by the original owners, or not. I have heard that the couple of attempts to expand and/or franchise the concept were last ditch efforts to save the business.

Somehow, they've always stayed afloat -- one loan/location or deal ahead of the creditors. I think that boils down to that good quality/poor value thing.

It floors me that a place like Cabo goes out of business in 6 months, but all of these crappy chains flourish.
when restaurants venture into the burbs, sometimes things change. i've heard numerous times how bad taco milagro is at baybrook, mainly weak drinks yet i still like the one on kirby.

when restaurants venture into the burbs, sometimes things change. i've heard numerous times how bad taco milagro is at baybrook, mainly weak drinks yet i still like the one on kirby.

there was a Cabo that opened on Westhiemer west of Kirkwood that opened briefly the shut down. So this is definately an nternal problem it seems to me. Of course aybe in westchase they had the same problem as in pearland.

• 4 weeks later...

ate at the Cabo replacement NORTON'S today. a little 'hickish' in the theme. very loud C&W music is playing and the staff is not polished. the CFS i had was actually quite tasty. food temp was not the greatest. my husband had a bacon cheeseburger which actually was very good. not sure we'll return, the ambience is not us.

The owner of Cabo's lived in Texas City not too long ago. There was an article in the Daily News a while back about his daughter not getting picked for the cheerleading squad at Texas City High School. He threw some kind of hissy fit about it that made the papers. Don't know what this had to do with his ability to run restaurants though.

• The title was changed to Cabo's On FM 518 Closed?

Archived