Lakes Of Highland Glen

amp123

I am moving to the area from Dallas. I wanted to see if anyone had any knowledge of this development, future plans for infrastructure, etc. Houses seem to be selling quickly. Does anyone know of any environmental watch-outs or any future planned changes to the area that would detract from property value?

Any thoughts on the area or Coventry homes as a builder would be much appreciated,

Also, if anyone happens to commute to Sugar Land from here, how long does it take to Rt 59 and Rt 6 in Sugar Land?

THANKS!

I am moving to the area from Dallas. I wanted to see if anyone had any knowledge of this development, future plans for infrastructure, etc. Houses seem to be selling quickly. Does anyone know of any environmental watch-outs or any future planned changes to the area that would detract from property value?

Any thoughts on the area or Coventry homes as a builder would be much appreciated,

Also, if anyone happens to commute to Sugar Land from here, how long does it take to Rt 59 and Rt 6 in Sugar Land?

THANKS!

Welcome to the forum amp123. I don't live in Lakes of Highland Glen, but have friends that do. I live on a Coventry home on the west side of Pearland - Shadow Creek Ranch.

1- Location: Great access to BW8 & I-45. Also a Tollway on 35 is planned in the future. Can't beat the commute to Hobby airport. One of my friends had the dilemma to find a place convenient for him (working at the Galleria) and his wife (working in Galveston). They love Lakes on Highland Glen.

For your commute, it will depend on the time you will be driving. BW8 usually is Ok from Pearland Parkway to 59 with only some heavy spots at the Fort Bend Toll in the a.m. I work close to 59&6 and at 9:00a.m. it takes me around 20 minutes from the corner of 288&BW8 to my office. You can add another 10-15 minutes from a house at Lakes of Highland Glen to 288&BW8.

2- Amenities: They have very nice plans for that area of BW8 & Pearland Parkway. Several new commercial developments and a new U of H campus. They neighborhood in general is very nice IMO, with close access to the "old" Pearland.

3- Coventry: I had a mixed experience with them. I think they are a quality builder; in my case unfortunately I had to deal with 3 different sale counselors and 4 construction managers while my house was being built; so I had a lot of issues and every single transition brought plenty of headaches.

They accommodated to all my requests for changes in design, but their options for upgrades where not what I would expect for a builder like them.... For some upgrades like wood floors, covered patio & custom paint, I decided go with other third parties after closing.

One thing for sure, get a good inspector before closing to make sure that everything is as it should. Just to give you one example, at one of the changes of construction managers, the new one thought that the chimney was completed as per standards.... It was not. Had not been for my good inspector, it is something I shouldn't had noticed and I would have closed on a house with a fire hazard. At the end, It took them 1 month to fix all the details my inspector found after Coventry set a closing date since the house was ready on their view.

Good luck and enjoy the great Houston area!

I can get from Shadow Creek Ranch to 59 & Highway 6 in about 20 - 25 min at 6:30 to 7:00 a.m. The reverse trip at 5:00 p.m. is more like 45 minutes.

The tollway seems to back up at some of the entrances and merging points, but does clear up and start moving again. I agree with Chamo that you are looking at an additional 10-15 minutes to/from Lakes at Highland Glen.

My wife and i built our home in the lakes of higland glen, we really like it, its not so over built like "new" pearland, and you can jump on the beltway and be in downtown houston in 20 minutes on the weekend, our section is just about built out, when we have kids we will be in the perfect place for all the schools in pearland, the only thing i dont like is the apartment complex across old alvin, at holloween we had a bunch of people who obviosly did not live in the neghiborhood

My wife and i built our home in the lakes of higland glen, we really like it, its not so over built like "new" pearland, and you can jump on the beltway and be in downtown houston in 20 minutes on the weekend, our section is just about built out, when we have kids we will be in the perfect place for all the schools in pearland, the only thing i dont like is the apartment complex across old alvin, at holloween we had a bunch of people who obviosly did not live in the neghiborhood

Wow. How horrible to have to hand out Halloween candy to apartment dwellars who live across the way.

:(

So much for killing stereotypes about suburban folks.

• 4 months later...

Does anybody know if LoHG floods during heavy rains? I get an uneasy feeling about potential flooding problems every time I drive through it. The ditches and retention ponds (aka 'lakes') just don't look deep enough, and the streets and homes don't look elevated enough. It could just be me, though.

Based on only one really heavy rain I have seen since it was developed I don't think it floods. That being said Pearland Parkway between Beltway 8 and LOHG does flood. So much that we were unable to get through to go home the last time it rained really heavily. The overpass along that stretch of Pearland Parkway crosses over Clear Creek which is notorious for flooding. They have built multiple retetion areas to help but the water still comes up. All of the lakes in the subdivision are built such that they are retetion areas in times of heavy rains. SCR has a lot of lakes and they are the retetion ponds for that neighborhood. You have to remember that as they fill up the bowl gets bigger so they can hold a lot more water than you think.

I have lived in LHG for almost a year and a half, never flooded, never came close to being flooded, never pearland parkway or 35 never came close to flooding, clear creek got close but never went over its banks, All of Pearland will be under water before we flood, the beltway feeders is a different story they flood bad.

I know for sure that Pearland Parkway flooded at leat once between Beltway 8 and the bridge over Clear Creek. A friend and I tried to go home that way and based on the two trucks that were flooded out on the high water we decided to seek and alternate route. That is a long way from LOHG down Pearland Parkway granted but I know for sure the area at the beltway infront of the new construction there does flood.

• 2 months later...

For those of you who live in this neighborhood what has your experience been like with regard to crime, escalating or depreciating home value, and just overall satisfaction with the area? I see a wide mix of homes within the community, houses go from the $150's to the high $300's and it seems that some areas are better than others.

Perhaps this should be merged with this thread ?

That's fine with me but I'm kind of concerned about moving into the area now that I've read through a few of the posts. It seems that some people are concerned about the West side of Pearland turning ghetto, but I haven't heard much about the East side. Any info would be appreciated.

I think the phrase "turning ghetto" is a little strong, but there is some concern given its rapid growth. Again there is an entire thread regarding that subject as well if you look back at previous posts. As far as the East side of Pearland goes, I think its a wonderful place to live. Of course I am somewhat bias since thats where I live. Its growing but not nearly at the same rate as west Pearland. The center of Pearland is slowy shifting to the West. For many years based on the location of City Hall, the Police station and the more expensive homes (Green Tee, Nottingham, and the back of Woodcreek) were on the east side. Thats where the leaders of Pearland lived, so thats where the city centered itself. With the announcement of the new city facilities to be built near Cullen and the rapid expansion in population to the west everything is shifting west. That does not mean that east Pearland is not a great place to live. Lakes of Highland Glens has nice new homes, and the used market is pretty good in our part of town as well. Depending on where you work the access to IH 45 is good and they are expanding Dixie Farm Road to 4 lanes so that will help traffic as well. Access to Beltway 8 via Pearland Parkway makes getting in and out easier as well. The thing I enjoy is that I can avail myself of all the aminities around 288 and 518 but at the end of the day I can still retreat to the relative calm of my neighborhood. Pearland is certainly loosing that small town feel that attracted my wife and I 15 years ago but I still think its a great place to live.

I noticed that they are building a very large retail/residential complex at the corner of Pearland parkway and Beltway 8, from what I understand the residential portion of the project is high end town homes that start around $200,000. Do any of you know if this is true, because my fear is they could be apartments which is not something I would like to see in this area.

I noticed that they are building a very large retail/residential complex at the corner of Pearland parkway and Beltway 8, from what I understand the residential portion of the project is high end town homes that start around $200,000. Do any of you know if this is true, because my fear is they could be apartments which is not something I would like to see in this area.

The name of that development is "The Parks at Boulder Creek". It will contain multi-family units in addition to single family. Take some time to peruse the attachments on their website: http://www.maverickgrouponline.com/commercial.html If it all comes together, it should be a nice development.

• 1 year later...

One of the Pearland Police officers told me that folks in the Lakes of Highland Glen are organizing a Neighborhood Watch program. If any of you involved with this effort read this, feel free to contact me. We just got our NW program off the ground in Southern Trails a few months ago, and I'd be happy to pass on advice.

• 7 months later...

Archived