Brookesmith Residential Lots

jgs1419

I've been looking at houses and lots in Brookesmith. There are some blocks that are already stable. There are other blocks, especially north of Patton that are still struggling.

Unfortunately, I've seen one crappy (and I mean really crappy) townhouse project get started but otherwise it has been quiet. The southern blocks seem to have the best value and have the highest quality housing stock.

I've watched it for a little while to look for buying opportunities. Will appreciation from the Heights/Norhill jump North Main? Anybody have any insight to the area? Thanks in advance.

If you're talking about the townhomes on Cavalcade before you get to Airline, then I agree. Don't like those very much. I am noticing a bit more activity over there, though. I see a couple of houses that apparently have been sold and will probably go the way of Woodland Heights in terms of renovation.

I'm wondering how long it will be before more of that area's reinvestment starts to spill over to east of Airline/Main and north of Cavalcade?

I think it's just a matter of time until the whole area becomes "stable". Once the North Main/MetroRail project/s start happening, and with the Heights already happening then with Lindale across the way nearby, the critical mass could be reached withing the next 10 years where there is a continous band of "revitalized" blocks from the Heights to Lindale and from Downtown north. The way I look at it is that some blocks can still be rough but the key is to look for areas where the poverty is being broken up by the revitalizers as crime is not necessarily caused by poverty but by concentrations of it. Then you can get on board as the area rises instead of waiting until it's already nice and "safe", and expensive.

The area should continue to appreciate, however, I think it is very ripe to become another major townhome mecca. That's a totally unscientific opinion so take it with a grain of salt. With the exception of some of the really nice homes on the South end of Cordell, (I'm sure there are others in there I haven't seen) there is a lot of lower end houses that lack the condition and/or the interesting architecture to make them really attractive/viable to be fixed up. Instead, with their relatively low cost (comparitively speaking) builders can easily replace them with townhomes. I'm guessing (heavy emphasis on guessing) that will ultimately be the way the area evolves. It depends on your personal perspective and what you want in a neighborhood as to whether or not that is a good thing or not. I think you should also check out Lindale Park (Cavalcade to 610/Fulton to Robertson) If you have not done so already.

• 4 years later...

What I do not appreciate is that some of the new homes being built in Brookesmith are completely suburban. There seems to be several new stucco and brick facade homes that look horrible, and probably should be left out in sugarland. I know the neighborhood has a long way to go but I just don't like most of the new stuff I've seen so far.

I've been looking at houses and lots in Brookesmith. There are some blocks that are already stable. There are other blocks, especially north of Patton that are still struggling.

Unfortunately, I've seen one crappy (and I mean really crappy) townhouse project get started but otherwise it has been quiet. The southern blocks seem to have the best value and have the highest quality housing stock.

I've watched it for a little while to look for buying opportunities. Will appreciation from the Heights/Norhill jump North Main? Anybody have any insight to the area? Thanks in advance.

I'm currently house hunting and got a chance to drive through Brooksmith. The closer you get to North Main the nicer it gets. But, I see the potential. My guess is the neighborhood will continue to "evolve" and move further north, but may take about 10 years before that whole area becomes stable. There some very nice looking homes and some that need work. Also, the floodplain sits along 45 up to 610.

Would Brookesmith be adversely or positively effected if they expand I-45 going towards downtown?

I believe that the plans to expand i-45 have been stopped. The new plan from TXDOT is to rebuild i-45 from downtown to 610 without expanding.

I believe that the plans to expand i-45 have been stopped. The new plan from TXDOT is to rebuild i-45 from downtown to 610 without expanding.

I applaud that, although I fear we've not heard the last of it.

I applaud that, although I fear we've not heard the last of it.

That's what I've heard as well - it's not totally dead yet. To answer your original question, I think the neighborhood will actually come out ahead, as the project would require installing sound walls.

As far as an overall opinion of the neighborhood's future, I think it will become a mishmash of renovated and dilapidated bungalows, mcmansions/mctorians, and townhomes. There are some neat bungalows back there, but much of the original housing stock is smaller than the average Heights bungalow. In addition, many of the homes are in terrible shape, or they have suffered bad remodeling jobs. As the land prices continue to creep up, restoration or renovation will make less sense. There are no deed restrictions and only a few blocks have minimum lot size requirements, so townhomes seem to be the most probable outcome at this point.

That said, the neighborhood does have an active civic club (www.montiebeach.org), so it is possible that more restrictions on new development could emerge.

I wish someone would buy and restore the mansion on Archer. That thing could be awesome. Currently it looks like 15 people live there in various trailers, the home, and the mismatched garage apartment.

• 3 weeks later...
has anyone seen the house on northwood across from the tennis courts.

Got an address? Even an approximate location would help.

The house you mentioned earlier (on Archer) is a nice older one.

• The title was changed to Brookesmith Residential Lots

Archived