New "visit Houston" Web Site.

jesuishouston

Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum and just wanted to draw people's attention to the new Visit Houston website. It's pretty okay, even though the other pages have yet to be redesigned in the similar fashion as the first page. Also, I'm not sure how new it is, seeing that I haven't been on the site in about a week.

Bests.

http://www.visithoustontexas.com/

welcome to the forum jesuishouston.

i don't like the use of "star power" to push houston. for me, houston is the star. using beyonce and chandra who? belittles houston. the fact that beyonce had the good fortune of being from houston is good for her. houston would still be what it is if she didn't exist. the site appears to be trying too hard by plastering "star power" on the front page.

bad form. cheesy.

really, who is going to plan a vacation or move here because "beyonce" (hate saying that name) is from here, or the bush family for that matter.

welcome to the forum jesuishouston.

i don't like the use of "star power" to push houston. for me, houston is the star. using beyonce and chandra who? belittles houston. the fact that beyonce had the good fortune of being from houston is good for her. houston would still be what it is if she didn't exist. the site appears to be trying too hard by plastering "star power" on the front page.

bad form. cheesy.

really, who is going to plan a vacation or move here because "beyonce" (hate saying that name) is from here, or the bush family for that matter.

Agreed. The funny thing is that Foreman makes mention of why he decided to stay in Houston (the friendly people), which to me is what the organization should be banking on. Houston is almost famous for it's people and their attitude, and that's what I believe should be continuously promoted. Nothing wrong with showing her cultures, sports franchises, etc, but let's promote what we're best at.

Hmmm... I suppose visitors will flock here after reading the "My Houston" testimonials from Beyonce Knowles and Barbara Bush. The site seems very much par for the course for this sort of thing.

Greg Ortale is now the guy in charge down at the Visitor and Convention Bureau, and he's only been there a few months. Let's try to give him a chance.

As you know, he came back to Houston after running the same bureau in Minneapolis for a number of years. I can't help but observe that the new My Houston website is almost identical to a website he created for Minneapolis some years back.

After years of being overshadowed by Jordy Tollett's public antics and controversies, the Houston VCB finally has someone running it who is more interested in doing his job than schmoozing politicians and corporate bigwigs.

I agree. The "star power" is very lame. Especially the way they use it. It's kind of embarrasing.

Don't under estimate "star power". Clearly, many people here in Houston aren't impressed by it.

People like you, me, and some other HAIFers, groan when we see it. We're the home town folks, and we've seen all that Chamber of Commerce BS before. Same song umpteenth verse. Even Jesus got no respect in his home town of Nazareth.

But I guarantee you there are people in other cities, states and other countries who are impressed by that approach, and they can be enticed to come here. It's a proven marketing technique.

• 4 months later...

Archived