A Change In Quanell? Huh?

ricco67

That may very well be. Let me frame my upcoming comments by saying I probably have similar views about the situation that you do. So with that said, what needs to be taken into account is the fact that there are unbelievably powerful people who want him out of office. I absolutely guarantee that has more to do with the emails than race or affairs do, and that is a matter of fact. In fact, the media-prosecution actually has nothing to do with race, at its roots. So while the media plays it up like a big "oh my gosh!," the fact of the matter is the media is just one of many power-tools that a few interested parties at the commanding heights of Houston politics are using to usher his career as the DA to an end, and the big "email scandal" is just an excuse to character assassinate him. And don't get me wrong - I'm not saying he shouldn't be gone either - I really don't care either way, because it doesn't have anything to do with ethics, but rather it has everything to do with the underbelly of Houston politics. There's nothing illegal about racist emails, and nothing illegal about having an inappropriate relationship with someone who works for you. Sleazy? Maybe, but that doesn't matter ... until someone wants to bring you down, politically. Then you've got a mess on your hands, and Chuck is fighting that up-hill battle right now.

In any case, just to keep the thread on track, I'll post photos (as long as its not raining) tomorrow, if I have time to get down there. I should, and if its half-interesting I'll snap away :)

b

I think ethics is the heart of the matter. When you are the District Attorney you are bound to higher standards, just like a judge or lawmaker would be. If you're sending racist or insensitive jokes about populations of people that you prosecute, it doesn't send a compelling message that you are fair and balanced in holding everyone to the same standards. Did he send emails about Polish-Americans? About Hispanic-Americans? About Italian-Americans?

I am not saying he is racist, but he's not exactly squeaky clean.

I agree. I also think that its quite unfair that the media picks people to put on TV and then says they are "speaking for black people". What a joke. There are 40 million black American in this country. No one person, not Jesse Jackson, not Al Sharpton, not Quanell is speaking for all of us.

It really is ridiculous.

But speaking of the media and how they play up their darlings, I REALLY hate how when there is a 'black' issue that is hot and in the national news, all these stations trot out their ONE black commentator or reporter. It's as if we have no opinion about anything unless it is related to race, or our opinions or expertise on matters doesn't kick in unless it's racial.

Now that is insulting!

I think ethics is the heart of the matter. When you are the District Attorney you are bound to higher standards, just like a judge or lawmaker would be. If you're sending racist or insensitive jokes about populations of people that you prosecute, it doesn't send a compelling message that you are fair and balanced in holding everyone to the same standards. Did he send emails about Polish-Americans? About Hispanic-Americans? About Italian-Americans?

I am not saying he is racist, but he's not exactly squeaky clean.

Yes, it's the ethics part that has destroyed his credibility. Most major corporations always send out notices about not passing on such garbage. This has been the norm for over 10 years that I know of. I still hate when others send me chain mail, those stupid ones that say to forward to 10 others. Like havent these idiots heard of virus's, etc?

Look out your window right now as the clouds darken, is this a sign of a final showdown for the downtown display of these two? Get them cameras rolling! :D

I am sure Shelia Jackson Lee will be there for a photo opp.

A little off topic note on Shelia. I always watch the SOTUA, not to hear what Bush has to say but to see if Shelia got her prime spot on the aisle where the Prez makes his entrance. Well she did it again. I don't know how she does this year after year. You go girl!

I still fail to see how receiving an email makes someone a racist. I don't even see how exchanging jokes about other ethnic groups makes someone racist. If that were the case, nearly every single black comic would be racist, and I doubt that to be the case. So would people like Simon Peters.

Just another example of people throwing the race card when it doesn't actually apply. Then they go and turn the JENA6 in to heros.

The racist emails may or may not prove he is a racist but they do prove he is an idiot who shows terrible judgement, not good traits for a DA. Anyway, the focus should be on his campaigning using county resources (email). That is illegal

A little off topic note on Shelia. I always watch the SOTUA, not to hear what Bush has to say but to see if Shelia got her prime spot on the aisle where the Prez makes his entrance. Well she did it again. I don't know how she does this year after year. You go girl!

Easy ... she got people!

They actually discussed on the "prime spot". Turns out they show up HOURS before the others to take that spot, the ones that are the late comers are no where near that prime spot.

The question is how much of thier productive time was wasted to simply have 2-4 seconds of face time with POTUS and be seen nationwide?

I still fail to see how receiving an email makes someone a racist. I don't even see how exchanging jokes about other ethnic groups makes someone racist. If that were the case, nearly every single black comic would be racist, and I doubt that to be the case. So would people like Simon Peters.

Just another example of people throwing the race card when it doesn't actually apply. Then they go and turn the JENA6 in to heros.

If these emails were in an account given to him by the entity that he works for then he has no defense in my mind. I can be fired from my job for sending an email from work telling my wife good morning. He's not being held to higher standards than any of the rest of us. As a public figure he should delete any emails like this from his computer and go straight to his IT dept. and have them block the address that they came from. Anything less than that shows that he just doesn not have good judgement.

They actually discussed on the "prime spot". Turns out they show up HOURS before the others to take that spot, the ones that are the late comers are no where near that prime spot.

The question is how much of thier productive time was wasted to simply have 2-4 seconds of face time with POTUS and be seen nationwide?

I doubt Shelia holds that spot. She probably has a staffer hold it.

I rarely send anything non-work related from my office email. If it is something questionable I will send it from my personal email account.

Even that can be tracked. IT dept's can easily run tapes of everything coming and going, but at least you used better judgement. Like they say, big brother is and can always be watching. Part of my job is monitoring all incoming emails and if you all saw the trash that comes in, its mind boggling. There is a missed spam file I send to but they still come back somehow.

Still though, this man knew better and thats the cruz of this topic or was it Mr Q?

Camera's....Did someone say camera's?

(Sounds like Quannel has the Norma Desmond starstruck syndrome (Sunset Blvd scene) :lol:

Ok, since we're talking about Sheila Jackson Lee and her obsession with the TV camera, I have to share this story with you.

A good friend of mine has a classic mustang convertible and is often asked to drive City Council members, State Reps, etc in local parades. One day, in a parade, his car was directly behind the convertible that drove Ms. Lee. A reporter was walking beside her car, asking her questions, as the parade proceeded. My friend made it a point to honk his horn and wave to the crowd everytime the reporter put the microphone to Ms. Lee. Eventually, she turned around and gave him the "Go to Hell" look. It was beautiful. :lol:

Ok, since we're talking about Sheila Jackson Lee and her obsession with the TV camera, I have to share this story with you.

A good friend of mine has a classic mustang convertible and is often asked to drive City Council members, State Reps, etc in local parades. One day, in a parade, his car was directly behind the convertible that drove Ms. Lee. A reporter was walking beside her car, asking her questions, as the parade proceeded. My friend made it a point to honk his horn and wave to the crowd everytime the reporter put the microphone to Ms. Lee. Eventually, she turned around and gave him the "Go to Hell" look. It was beautiful. :lol:

I LOVE IT! Best post of the week!

(Inside Sheila's mind at that moment) Alright Mr. Demille... I'm ready for my close up... NOT! :lol: my ribs hurt.

Archived