Diy - Yet Another Permitting Question

I know there are a few threads about permits and DIY -- and until now I didn't know you couldn't do you own electrical work. (I was going to call someone for this electrical job though, since it will be a subpanel, plus outside wiring...)

Anyway, we're about to buy a Heights bungalow, and will close in about a month... We were planning a bit of DIY over the next year:

1. No permits, basic stuff before move-in:

- Painting and Cleaning

- Refinish hardwoods

- Hardware, locks, screens, yard, fans, etc. etc.

2. Main house, but not sure if we really need permits...especially if it's all done over time while living in, not all at once as a "remodel":

- Pocket door for bathroom (work in one wall with no conduit/elec/bearing)

- Bathroom light/fan combo

- Some attic insulation fixes, and plywood flooring

- Replace pedastal sink w/ vanity

- Maybe replace toilet

- Replace bathroom window with block glass

- Replace various plumbing fixtures

- Replace various lighting fixtures (not new circuits, etc)

- Concrete driveway (inside the lot)

- Decking and garden features

(The house already had a rewire, panel, service upgrade with permits done.) As I understand it, doing all those jobs above at once is a "remodel", and needs a permit, but one at a time, over the year is more basic maintenance and a permit would not really be needed. Am I way off?

3. Detached Garage Buildout -- planning to pull a general remodel permit, and have an electrician do the electrical

- Wiring to garage subpanel, circuits for lighting, tool outlets, window unit AC (electrician)

- Some roofing/framing fixes

- Concrete smoothing/staining polishing

- Sheetrock/finishing

4. Other things that we think would need discrete permits that we might do:

- Outside lighting

- GFCI breakers, etc

- Carport/deck arbor

- Attic vent fans and some roof work

So, I guess my question is...how right or wrong am I?

The information with the city seems a little vague -- and I'm a bit hesitanet to call the city, as listed out it sounds like a big remodel job, but over time it's not that much. I would like to be able to sell it at some point without a lot of trouble too. And, generally speaking I want to do things right. (The electrical part about DIY in houston annoys me a little -- I've done code perfect inspected work myself, and I've seen terrible paid jobs. But, not much to do about that I suppose...and I don't want to screw up a new panel/outside run either :D )

Thoughts?

Thanks much (from a longtime lurker, first time poster...)!

I know there are a few threads about permits and DIY -- and until now I didn't know you couldn't do you own electrical work. (I was going to call someone for this electrical job though, since it will be a subpanel, plus outside wiring...)

Anyway, we're about to buy a Heights bungalow, and will close in about a month... We were planning a bit of DIY over the next year:

1. No permits, basic stuff before move-in:

- Painting and Cleaning

- Refinish hardwoods

- Hardware, locks, screens, yard, fans, etc. etc.

2. Main house, but not sure if we really need permits...especially if it's all done over time while living in, not all at once as a "remodel":

- Pocket door for bathroom (work in one wall with no conduit/elec/bearing)

- Bathroom light/fan combo

- Some attic insulation fixes, and plywood flooring

- Replace pedastal sink w/ vanity

- Maybe replace toilet

- Replace bathroom window with block glass

- Replace various plumbing fixtures

- Replace various lighting fixtures (not new circuits, etc)

- Concrete driveway (inside the lot) (you might need a permit for this if you plan to change anything on the curb. You will need to check with you HOA and file a request with them)

- Decking and garden features (Your HOA will require you to check with them if they have any architectural controls).

(The house already had a rewire, panel, service upgrade with permits done.) As I understand it, doing all those jobs above at once is a "remodel", and needs a permit, but one at a time, over the year is more basic maintenance and a permit would not really be needed. Am I way off? Anything short of adding a fan to an existing fixture you should have a professional electrician do (you should probably even have the electrician do the fixtures for safetys sake). Anything at the panel such as adding a sub-panel will require a permit. I've got a great electrician if you need one.

3. Detached Garage Buildout -- planning to pull a general remodel permit, and have an electrician do the electrical (if the garage is already built, you shouldn't need a permit for anything more than the electrical work which the electrician will pull himself)

- Wiring to garage subpanel, circuits for lighting, tool outlets, window unit AC (electrician)

- Some roofing/framing fixes

- Concrete smoothing/staining polishing

- Sheetrock/finishing

4. Other things that we think would need discrete permits that we might do:

- Outside lighting

- GFCI breakers, etc

- Carport/deck arbor (You might not need a permit for this, but again, check with your HOA)

- Attic vent fans and some roof work

So, I guess my question is...how right or wrong am I?

The information with the city seems a little vague -- and I'm a bit hesitanet to call the city, as listed out it sounds like a big remodel job, but over time it's not that much. I would like to be able to sell it at some point without a lot of trouble too. And, generally speaking I want to do things right. (The electrical part about DIY in houston annoys me a little -- I've done code perfect inspected work myself, and I've seen terrible paid jobs. But, not much to do about that I suppose...and I don't want to screw up a new panel/outside run either :D )

Thoughts?

Thanks much (from a longtime lurker, first time poster...)!

I've bolded my comments.

Most of what you talked about will not require permits. The electrical work that is to do with the panel will and the electrician will pull those. Something to consider though, if you pull a permit on electrical work and the rest of the house isn't up to code, it is possible that the city will require you bring it up to code. This is something that you should be able to discuss with your electrician. Make sure they are reputable and they should be honest. As I mentioned, I have one that I trust implicitly. They have worked on every house I've built and my own personal house.

The other issues will most likely be with your HOA. HOAs have architectural controls built in to your deed restrictions, so anything OUTSIDE the house will likely have to go by them. Just call them and check. It is usually pretty painless.

Flipper is far more familiar with remodel work than I am since I do new construction, so it might be worth shooting him a PM and asking him. He is the remodel guru around here. Jscarb and myself are the builder bobs.

From the City of Houston website

What type of work requires a building permit?

Projects that require a permit include (but are not limited to):

New construction of buildings or structures

Alterations, repairs or additions to existing buildings or structures

Changes in the use or occupancy of an existing building or structure

Interior tenant lease build-outs, remodeling and repairs

Exterior remodels, alterations or repairs

Moving/relocating existing buildings

Demolition (interior and complete buildings)

Fences over 8' high or fences constructed of concrete or masonry

Driveways and sidewalks (in city R.O.W.)

Parking lot paving and repairs

What type of work is exempt from a building permit?

Cosmetic alterations to existing buildings such as paint, wallpaper and carpeting, as well as exterior storage buildings less than 120 square feet are exempt from building permits. However, you are encouraged to contact the Structural Inspection Section at

(713) 535-7800 before beginning any project to determine whether or not permits are required.

This being said most homes have had unpermitted work done to them.

Thanks gwilson and musicman for all the info!

Great tip about double-checking with the electrician on permit issues. The house "should" be up to code, from a full rewire, but...I'll stress the point.

I did have one other related question... The seller is representing there is no HOA. The house is a little east of Yale, in between 610 and 20th in the Heights area. I've done a lot of digging online, and only found "there is no good list" of HOA's or anything remotely helpful. Maybe I'm just missing something -- but is there any good way to verify this?

Thanks again!

I've done a lot of digging online, and only found "there is no good list" of HOA's or anything remotely helpful. Maybe I'm just missing something -- but is there any good way to verify this?

Thanks again!

only sure way is to check at the county and see what restrictions, if any, are filed.

I did have one other related question... The seller is representing there is no HOA. The house is a little east of Yale, in between 610 and 20th in the Heights area. I've done a lot of digging online, and only found "there is no good list" of HOA's or anything remotely helpful. Maybe I'm just missing something -- but is there any good way to verify this?

If you're using a fluffy bunny, have them check on it. I mean...they should do SOME work for that 3%.

If you're using a fluffy bunny, have them check on it. I mean...they should do SOME work for that 3%.

Nope! It's a nice deal we ran into mostly by accident, that was never listed...just in the right place at the right time. :D

Some more digging online, and I think the answer is no...but I'm still going to go checkout the deed restrictions in person. Thanks again!

Yeah, just about anything you want to do that is beyond painting and carpeting technically requires a permit and EVERYTHING on your list falls into that category. I have never heard of a your "all at once" condition and am pretty sure the city would disagree with the distinction.

But MM is right, most DIY stuff is never permitted and almost every house in town has unpermitted work somewhere. It's just the nature of the beast as permits have become less about building standards and more about keeping track of tax valuations.

You can probably get away with doing everything inside the house without a permit, but all of that outside stuff, like the driveway and the garage, will get noticed and you will get a ticket from the inspector. I can almost guarantee it.

You can't hide a new driveway!

Nope! It's a nice deal we ran into mostly by accident, that was never listed...just in the right place at the right time. :D

Some more digging online, and I think the answer is no...but I'm still going to go checkout the deed restrictions in person. Thanks again!

Ask for a copy of the deed restrictions, that will tell you everything you need to know on the HOA.

Archived