Red Light Camera At Westheimer And 610?

editor

Does anyone know off-hand if there's a red light camera at Westheimer & 610? I went through that intersection eastbound yesterday and saw a pair of bright flashes from out of nowhere. I assume I got tagged by a red light cam, but when I drove by the intersection today I didn't see any, or a sign.

If I did get busted, will they just mail me a ticket that I have to pay by mail, or do I have to go to court? Has anyone had first-hand experience with this?

Does anyone know off-hand if there's a red light camera at Westheimer & 610? I went through that intersection eastbound yesterday and saw a pair of bright flashes from out of nowhere. I assume I got tagged by a red light cam, but when I drove by the intersection today I didn't see any, or a sign.

If I did get busted, will they just mail me a ticket that I have to pay by mail, or do I have to go to court? Has anyone had first-hand experience with this?

they will mail you the ticket and give you a website where you can watch yourself going through the light. pay by mail and that's it. the flash would have been coming from behind. remember that all lights in a particular intersection don't necessarily have the camera either so you may have lucked out.

they will mail you the ticket and give you a website where you can watch yourself going through the light. pay by mail and that's it. the flash would have been coming from behind. remember that all lights in a particular intersection don't necessarily have the camera either so you may have lucked out.

Interesting. The list linked to by u080570 shows "Westbound Westheimer at West Loop South, East Service Road" but I was headed Eastbound. So maybe I got out of it. Or maybe the eastbound lanes are covered by the line further on that simply states "610 West Loop at Westheimer Road." Or maybe I saw "Southbound West Loop South, West Service Road at Westheimer" in my mirror. I guess we'll find out.

Anyone know how long you have to pay one of these tickets? It has to go to the rental car agency first, then to me. Fortunately since I don't have car insurance it can't hurt my insurance rates.

Anyone know how long you have to pay one of these tickets? It has to go to the rental car agency first, then to me. Fortunately since I don't have car insurance it can't hurt my insurance rates.

i think these are civil vs criminal so they won't affect insurance.

Interesting. The list linked to by u080570 shows "Westbound Westheimer at West Loop South, East Service Road" but I was headed Eastbound. So maybe I got out of it. Or maybe the eastbound lanes are covered by the line further on that simply states "610 West Loop at Westheimer Road." Or maybe I saw "Southbound West Loop South, West Service Road at Westheimer" in my mirror. I guess we'll find out.

Not sure about the semantics on the website, but I'm pretty sure they catch you eastbound as well. The camera is on the SW corner of the intersection aiming right at eastbound vehicles. Also, there is a warning sign heading eastbound, back a bit towards Post Oak.

I am curious how you rent a car without insurance???

You either buy it from the rental place or you put it on your card (like I do).

But yes, there is a light heading Eastbound on Westheimer at 610. I've seen that thing go off a number of times, but I've yet to be tagged. send us your video if you did get tagged, but the odds are they could have gotten the person behind you instead.

I'm curious about this, too. How can they ticket just the car? No one can prove who was driving. A car can't commit a crime. Is this why they consider it a civil crime?

The COH can ticket the car just like a parking ticket. For example, it doesn't matter if your freind borrows your car and illegally parks it, the ticket is attached to the car, not the driver. They basically passed a city ordinance making it illegal to have you car in an intersection while the light is red.

Just like a parking ticket, it will not effect your insurance as it is a civil penalty.

• 3 weeks later...
Do any of you know of someone who bought and used that stuff that you spray on a license plate which makes the red light camera unable to discern the plate number?

I know Mythbusters did a segment on the various products on the market to "defeat" enforcement cameras' ability to read license plates (including a spray).

None of them worked.

Of course, I don't remember which particular products they tested.

Edited by CDeb