Speeding Ticket Or Warning

My general rule: NEVER go over 1/10th over the limit.

33 in a 30, 44 in a 40, 55 in a 50 etc.

I've heard from a couple of cops that that's where they make the distinction of whether or not they will pull you over. So technically 45 in a 40 fits into the category of pulling you over.

KatyGuy, what if your son got a ticket for running a redlight, but it was only "a little red" or did a "California roll" through a stop sign in your neighborhood ? What if his insurance had expire 3 days earlier, and you didn't have a renewal ? Would you feel the same way ? When do you consider it worthy of a ticket ?

I'm just sayin.

My son is using this ticket as a learning experience. He had to go to the courthouse and pay $90 for the option of defensive driving. He had to pay another $12 to get his motor vehicle driving record sent. He now has to pay to take defensive driving and spend probably another 6 hours taking it. He did not run a "little red light".... he did not do a "California roll" through a stop sign....his insurance is up to date..... The situation is that he was going 45 in a 40 which was the flow of traffic..... he was stopped by city police not campus police.... the city was lubbock texas..... I feel that them stopping him going 45 in a 40 was just a bit excessive..... I guess there is a first time for everything.... Welcome to life's little hassles....

My son is using this ticket as a learning experience. He had to go to the courthouse and pay $90 for the option of defensive driving. He had to pay another $12 to get his motor vehicle driving record sent. He now has to pay to take defensive driving and spend probably another 6 hours taking it. He did not run a "little red light".... he did not do a "California roll" through a stop sign....his insurance is up to date..... The situation is that he was going 45 in a 40 which was the flow of traffic..... he was stopped by city police not campus police.... the city was lubbock texas..... I feel that them stopping him going 45 in a 40 was just a bit excessive..... I guess there is a first time for everything.... Welcome to life's little hassles....

Now THAT is the attitude you should have taken at the beginning.

I have several sayings that I tell my daughter:

"Life is full of these little disappointments."

"The world was not created for your convenience or amusement."

"Life has a tendency to hit you when you're not looking. So keep looking and adjust."

Don't remember where I stole the last one from.

KatyGuy, what if your son got a ticket for running a redlight, but it was only "a little red" or did a "California roll" through a stop sign in your neighborhood ? What if his insurance had expire 3 days earlier, and you didn't have a renewal ? Would you feel the same way ? When do you consider it worthy of a ticket ?

I almost ran a light that was "a little red" the other day, I was going along at about 45 MPH less than 50 yards from the intersection when the light started to turn....I started to just run it, but then I remembered that there was a red light camera at that intersection, so I put 'er into FULL STOP mode and lo and behold it caused a wreck (damned fancy high performance brakes). The guy behind me couldn't stop in time and swerved over into another lane and hit someone. So, its official...a red light camera has caused at least one wreck.

I almost ran a light that was "a little red" the other day, I was going along at about 45 MPH less than 50 yards from the intersection when the light started to turn....I started to just run it, but then I remembered that there was a red light camera at that intersection, so I put 'er into FULL STOP mode and lo and behold it caused a wreck (damned fancy high performance brakes). The guy behind me couldn't stop in time and swerved over into another lane and hit someone. So, its official...a red light camera has caused at least one wreck.

:D

Doesn't beat my latest act of stupidity.

I was cruising down Houston street when I saw the light on Lubbuck had turned yellow so I floored it a bit to make it safely across and beat the light. Turns out i didn't. Only then did I realize there were cops on three sides on that intersection. Not one bothered to light me up. Go fig.

No, it's official that you caused a wreck. If you hadn't been driving that fast, you would have had time to stop without causing the guy behind you to swerve. The red light camera may have saved you from being broadsided, but it didn't cause the guy behind you to hit anyone. You did that all by yourself.

No, it's official that you caused a wreck. If you hadn't been driving that fast, you would have had time to stop without causing the guy behind you to swerve. The red light camera may have saved you from being broadsided, but it didn't cause the guy behind you to hit anyone. You did that all by yourself.

Nope...according to the law, it's the fault of the guy who was in the wreck.

The violation is "Failure to control speed." I got one for a wreck on the South Loop a few years back...I came over an overpass doing 60 mph in the slow lane, staying with the flow of traffic, and all of a sudden the truck in front of me swerves out of the way, leaving about 100 yds between me and one lane of stopped traffic (never did figure out why they were stopped). Not quite enough room for me to make a complete stop before hitting the van in front of me...I bent the bumper of the van that I hit. Failure to control speed. According to the judge and a lawyer I spoke to, there was no way for me to win that case. By definition I failed to control my speed. If I had controlled my speed, I wouldn't have hit the stopped car in front of me...despite going the speed limit.

According to them any time you rear end someone, it's "failure to control speed", regardless of the circumstances.

According to them any time you rear end someone, it's "failure to control speed", regardless of the circumstances.

That is correct. I was coming into town on the Southwest Freeway one night, driving about 75mph, and a pimped out Impala came up from behind, held steady right beside me, then sped up again, swerved in front of me, and slammed on its brakes. Mine were better than theirs, so they went to a dead stop but I neither swerved out of their way or hit them. In a couple seconds, they started moving again and exited the highway as soon as possible.

This was apparently some sort of a scam based upon the automatic "failure to control speed" thing. They usually target elderly drivers that seem like they lack reflexes.

That is correct. I was coming into town on the Southwest Freeway one night, driving about 75mph, and a pimped out Impala came up from behind, held steady right beside me, then sped up again, swerved in front of me, and slammed on its brakes. Mine were better than theirs, so they went to a dead stop but I neither swerved out of their way or hit them. In a couple seconds, they started moving again and exited the highway as soon as possible.

This was apparently some sort of a scam based upon the automatic "failure to control speed" thing. They usually target elderly drivers that seem like they lack reflexes.

Orrrrrrrr... You had cut them off earlier and they were just trying to pay you back.

Did anyone here see the radar gun? I've received many, many speeding tickets over the years. The vast majority of tickets were written for a speed slower the speed I was actually travelling. I've been pulled over going 90 in an 70 and got a ticket for 80 MPH. I've been pulled over for going 50 in a 35 and gotten a ticket for 45 MPH. It happens all the time. It sounds to me like Sonny Boy is just trying to pull one over on Ol' Dad.

Just pay the ticket and move on. It's just a tax on driving. If you add up all the costs associated with having a car (gas, insurance, parking, depreciation, repairs, maintenance, etc.), the cost of a ticket here and there is a drop in the bucket.

bpe3

I was thinking the same thing. Whenever I get pulled over, I was going way faster than they say I was. In 20 years of driving, I've only gotten one or two tickets I didn't think I deserved. Come to think of it though, that was when I was your son's age. I don't know if they saw I was young or if it was random. One of them was passing on the right around someone going 50 in the fast lane. I was patient and waited but they never got over so I sped around them and then started making up for lost time... I thought the slow person should have been the one pulled over.

I just take the ticket and be more careful in the next year since you can only do one defensive driving a year.

When I get a ticket I think back to the times they didn't catch me going 125.

But the worst ticket I ever got was when they were watching for non-stoppers on my street and I got pulled over for no front licence plate right after my mechanic had told me "they never pull you over for this". I thought that was ridiculous and I was mad at my neighbor because he was the one who called in the "sting operation". And still no one stops at that sign.

Jason

Did anyone here see the radar gun? I've received many, many speeding tickets over the years. The vast majority of tickets were written for a speed slower the speed I was actually travelling. I've been pulled over going 90 in an 70 and got a ticket for 80 MPH. I've been pulled over for going 50 in a 35 and gotten a ticket for 45 MPH. It happens all the time. It sounds to me like Sonny Boy is just trying to pull one over on Ol' Dad. bpe3

I have had lower speeds on my ticket, but i remember once the officer telling me that he was putting a lower speed than clocked so i would be in a lower fine bracket (or something). This was years ago, though, and my memory fades.

• 1 month later...

When your young they often will pull you over for any reason they can think of.

We would all get to work faster and there would be less traffic jams if everyone would just speed up. When the light changes hit the gas and go! If you are driving fast you should be paying more attention to what is going on. You think driving the too slow speed limit and gabbing on the phone or the person next to you is safer? Time is money... GO FAST!

Edited by mumbles

No, YOU and the red light camera didn't CAUSE anything. It was some jackass behind you that ASSUMED that you were gonna go through the red light, and he most likely was gonna follow suit. HE caused his owned accident, YOU obeyed the traffic laws and he hopefully learned a valuable lesson about trying to run redlights.

So, which one do you think they were targeting you for, the elderly, or the lack of reflexes ? ;):P:D

We would all get to work faster and there would be less traffic jams if everyone would just speed up. When the light changes hit the gas and go! If you are driving fast you should be paying more attention to what is going on. You think driving the too slow speed limit and gabbing on the phone or the person next to you is safer? Time is money... GO FAST!

I don't think it's speed that slows people down, it's the changing of lanes. I've noticed that when I get out of the Galleria traffic in the mornings into Bellaire there are still times when I have to slow down because everyone is weaving in and out of lanes jockeying for position at higher speeds. People should drive reasonably fast and not change lanes so much. It would cut down on accidents and the number of times that everyone has too slam on their brakes and slow down everyone behind them.

As for paying more attention at higher speeds, yeah right. Between applying cream cheese to a bagel, stirring sugar in some coffee, reading a book/the paper, and applying makeup/fixing hair all while talking on the phone/texting/emailing, I don't think people have much attention left to spend on the road.