Herrin Lofts At 2205 McKinney St.

Any news on the Herrin Lofts? On MLS it states completion dates of 8/20 and 9/20 and there are 52 units on MLS with no Option/Pending/Pending Sales.

I drove past and around the building this past weekend and it appears to me that there is still quite a bit of work to be done and a completion date for the first units in a month is not realistic.

Toolman are you still considering the Herrin Lofts? I would imagine the developer and the agent would kill for some sales so you may be able to get them to come off the prices quite a bit.

Scharpe St Guy

I go by there occasionally and haven't seen much in the way of progress in the past couple of months (as opposed to Eastside on Downling, which now appears to have activity after a long time of nothing).

Any news on the Herrin Lofts? On MLS it states completion dates of 8/20 and 9/20 and there are 52 units on MLS with no Option/Pending/Pending Sales.

They've been listed on the market for 253 days, so I wouldn't think it reasonable that they would have no presales lined up whatsoever...especially with those prices If I had to guess, I'd think that they just aren't doing a very good job maintaining their listings or don't want to show their hand.

I've seen cases where developers will sell homes/lots that are listed and then pull the listing so as to avoid posting the real sales prices. Its probably against MLS rules, but enforcement isn't easy.

True true however they are listed through Keller Williams which would sway me as thinking they may not have that many pre-sales. Keller Williams isn't going to take a chance playing games and having TREC come down on them. Intown homes pulls games like that (pretty sure) however they use an inhouse agent. I was showing a few townhomes near the new Target at Taylor/I10 and when I called to set up an appt they sent a represenative of Intown and when questioned which unit was the one listed at 199k and 209k he acted all taken aback and that there were no units priced that cheaply. He called his boss who he called MOM and by the time I got back to a computer they were GONE.

Construction is also pretty slow from what I can tell and I would have to think if they had even a few pre-sold they would make greater progress then what they have. Some of the old photo's on this topic look identical to what I saw over the weekend.

Scharpe St Guy

They've been listed on the market for 253 days, so I wouldn't think it reasonable that they would have no presales lined up whatsoever...especially with those prices If I had to guess, I'd think that they just aren't doing a very good job maintaining their listings or don't want to show their hand.

I've seen cases where developers will sell homes/lots that are listed and then pull the listing so as to avoid posting the real sales prices. Its probably against MLS rules, but enforcement isn't easy.

True true however they are listed through Keller Williams which would sway me as thinking they may not have that many pre-sales. Keller Williams isn't going to take a chance playing games and having TREC come down on them. Intown homes pulls games like that (pretty sure) however they use an inhouse agent. I was showing a few townhomes near the new Target at Taylor/I10 and when I called to set up an appt they sent a represenative of Intown and when questioned which unit was the one listed at 199k and 209k he acted all taken aback and that there were no units priced that cheaply. He called his boss who he called MOM and by the time I got back to a computer they were GONE.

Construction is also pretty slow from what I can tell and I would have to think if they had even a few pre-sold they would make greater progress then what they have. Some of the old photo's on this topic look identical to what I saw over the weekend.

Scharpe St Guy

I think I've talked business with that guy before. He and his mom seem to alternate between the ones near Target and some on Leeland in the Near East End.

Point taken with KW, but I still wouldn't be surprised if the agent is pulling this kind of stuff without there being oversight.

I met with the owner today and we looked around the lofts. He expects the 5th floor to be finished by the end of October and the rest of the building done by December. There are a few units already 70% - 85% complete. The prices range from $147K to $190K - ranging between 700sq. feet to almost 1100sq. feet. Some units have 1/12 baths, but they are pretty small (but I would prefer a bigger living space anyway).

I asked if we could talk about some pricing options later in the month and he said "Don't even think about it...these are listed as pre-construction and the prices are final". He sounded pretty firm on that. As of right now, 7 out of the 55 units are sold. The owner "SAID" he has a lot of people waiting to se the final product. However, prices will go up after everything is complete.

I would say they are putting high quality products in all of the units - Frigidaire refrigerators, ovens, and washer/dryers. All of the floors are stained concrete, and they have quality paint. Each unit has a different style.

So if I decide to buy I don't need a realtor...am I correct? It's just me, him, and the lender right? So in my mind, I should have a least a 3% discount becuase he doesn't have to pay realtor fees.

Edited by ToolMan

I met with the owner today and we looked around the lofts. He expects the 5th floor to be finished by the end of October and the rest of the building done by December. There are a few units already 70% - 85% complete. The prices range from $147K to $190K - ranging between 700sq. feet to almost 1100sq. feet. Some units have 1/12 baths, but they are pretty small (but I would prefer a bigger living space anyway).

I asked if we could talk about some pricing options later in the month and he said "Don't even think about it...these are listed as pre-construction and the prices are final". He sounded pretty firm on that. As of right now, 7 out of the 55 units are sold. The owner "SAID" he has a lot of people waiting to se the final product. However, prices will go up after everything is complete.

I would say they are putting high quality products in all of the units - Frigidaire refrigerators, ovens, and washer/dryers. All of the floors are stained concrete, and they have quality paint. Each unit has a different style.

So if I decide to buy I don't need a realtor...am I correct? It's just me, him, and the lender right? So in my mind, I should have a least a 3% discount becuase he doesn't have to pay realtor fees.

The listing agent is the son of the developer.

Ahhh it starts to make sense about the son being the listing agent then. Honestly I don't believe the project as a whole is marketed that well at all most likely because the son knows he has the business and the chance of him being fired is remote. Sad when that happens.

Toolman, just make sure you get the 3% discount they do have that already figured into the budget of each unit. They may balk though and say it's only for licensed realtors and since your not they can't reduce the price. If this happens you can either walk away in the hopes that they think twice and drop it the 3% or have an agent represent your side and have the 3% credited towards your closing costs or price reduction and pay the agent $xxx as his/her fee. Make sure you get this on paper though in the Buyers Rep Agreement that the agent is working for you for the following set fee: $xxx not x%.

Good luck and you can always purchase my house if you change your mind!!! Wood floors are done and interior is being primed today. September closing would be fine as well!

Scharpe St Guy

The listing agent is the son of the developer.

Ahhh it starts to make sense about the son being the listing agent then. Honestly I don't believe the project as a whole is marketed that well at all most likely because the son knows he has the business and the chance of him being fired is remote. Sad when that happens.

Toolman, just make sure you get the 3% discount they do have that already figured into the budget of each unit. They may balk though and say it's only for licensed realtors and since your not they can't reduce the price. If this happens you can either walk away in the hopes that they think twice and drop it the 3% or have an agent represent your side and have the 3% credited towards your closing costs or price reduction and pay the agent $xxx as his/her fee. Make sure you get this on paper though in the Buyers Rep Agreement that the agent is working for you for the following set fee: $xxx not x%.

Good luck and you can always purchase my house if you change your mind!!! Wood floors are done and interior is being primed today. September closing would be fine as well!

Scharpe St Guy

Perry Homes works it this way: You get a letter from a Realtor friend stating that they will forfeit their portion of the commission to give to the buyer. This covers the seller if other Realtors get unhappy about the arrangement.

As for the school zoning:

* Rusk Elementary School

* E.O. Smith Education Center (grades 6-8 only) - http://ms.houstonisd.org/SmithMS/

* Phillis Wheatley High School - http://hs.houstonisd.org/wheatleyhs/

Profiles:

* Rusk - http://dept.houstonisd.org/profiles/Rusk_ES.pdf

* Smith - http://dept.houstonisd.org/profiles/Smith_EO_1thru8.pdf

* Wheatley - http://dept.houstonisd.org/profiles/Wheatley_HS.pdf

Wheatley will have a brand new campus soon. See http://www.houstonisd.org/HISDPortal/depar...4872301,00.html

If you aren't satisfied with these schools, Houston ISD has magnet and transfer programs. In addition there are several private schools in the area.

Edited by VicMan

• 1 month later...

TooLMan, I am in the process of relocating to Houston. As a matter of fact, I will be there tomorrow. I received the information from Matthew and definitely will take a closer look once I arrive tomorrow. I am very interested in the project. The prices and location are great however, I am a little worried about being in the back drop of the Convention Center and Minute Maid Park. I also am not too fond of the wrap around balconies. Drop me a line and maybe you can give me a little more insight to the neighborhood and the project. I look forward to speaking w/ you.

I also am not too fond of the wrap around balconies.

Are they even doing balconies? It looks like the majority of windows have been installed, but from the street they appear to be just windows, no doors. How very NYC to have to climb out a window to access a fire esc...ummm, balcony.

Are they even doing balconies? It looks like the majority of windows have been installed, but from the street they appear to be just windows, no doors. How very NYC to have to climb out a window to access a fire esc...ummm, balcony.

Not too sure, I will be in Houston tomorrow and plan to visit the site w/ my agent. Any other developments you recommend w/in the general vicinity of downtown and price range?

You're correct, travel guy_73. The building's so-called "balconies" will be accessible via windows, not doors!!! I learned from a real-estate agent who has some familiarity with the Herrin project that what are being marketed as balconies are really just four-foot-deep ledges that are being affixed to the building's exterior at window height.

Also related to the marketing of the building . . . the Herrin units are being promoted on the HAR Web site (and, hence, to prospective buyers!) with square footage amounts that include the aforementioned ledges! For example, an available unit might seem, through one's reading of a description in the HAR and MLS listings, to be a unit of particular size for sale at a particular price, though one should keep in mind that the listed square footage figure for most units includes the balcony square footage, which, depending on the unit, might be 90+ square feet or so of what many of us would consider not-really-usable space!

On a quality-related note: I've heard that much of the kitchen and bathroom cabinetry being installed in the building are IKEA products.

I know someone who was giving some serious thought to purchasing a unit in the building. Upon learning all of this information, her interest level decreased significantly! I think she was most turned-off by the idea of paying something like $15,000 (her example was 90 sq. feet of balcony x $160 avg. per sq. foot) to purchase a loft that "features" (she's fond of using "air quotes" when she talks) a deep window ledge with a pretty railing attached to it!

• 4 months later...
You're correct, travel guy_73. The building's so-called "balconies" will be accessible via windows, not doors!!! I learned from a real-estate agent who has some familiarity with the Herrin project that what are being marketed as balconies are really just four-foot-deep ledges that are being affixed to the building's exterior at window height.

Also related to the marketing of the building . . . the Herrin units are being promoted on the HAR Web site (and, hence, to prospective buyers!) with square footage amounts that include the aforementioned ledges! For example, an available unit might seem, through one's reading of a description in the HAR and MLS listings, to be a unit of particular size for sale at a particular price, though one should keep in mind that the listed square footage figure for most units includes the balcony square footage, which, depending on the unit, might be 90+ square feet or so of what many of us would consider not-really-usable space!

On a quality-related note: I've heard that much of the kitchen and bathroom cabinetry being installed in the building are IKEA products.

I know someone who was giving some serious thought to purchasing a unit in the building. Upon learning all of this information, her interest level decreased significantly! I think she was most turned-off by the idea of paying something like $15,000 (her example was 90 sq. feet of balcony x $160 avg. per sq. foot) to purchase a loft that "features" (she's fond of using "air quotes" when she talks) a deep window ledge with a pretty railing attached to it!

Herrin Lofts is now open on Sundays and some weekday hours. It is not what I had hoped for.

Is this gonna be a mixed development with retail on the first floor?

Parking on the first couple of floors. No retail. Many of the units are efficiencies. I was surprised at the freeway noise even with the windows closed. It is an entry level property.

This is being developed by Mir Azizi, the gentleman who was one of the first to build in the West End (Feagan St.area) about 15 years ago.

• 8 years later...

Does anyone have any info on this midrise? These lofts are situated right on the cusp of BBVA Compass Stadium, and I would think they'd be a prime location for the downtown market, but there are currently 10 lofts on the market for sale. 

http://houstonluxuryhighrises.com/buildings/herrin.html

Any info on this would be great. Thanks!

• 4 years later...
  • The title was changed to Herrin Lofts At 2205 McKinney St.