Begging "them" To Like Us {my Houston Campaign}

MidtownCoog

I believe that the general consensus was that Houston ranked as high as it did due to business travelers. Although no one ever proved it in that discussion. That list was compiled from raw numbers. But anyway, that's why I said Houston is already the highest business tourist destination in the state. It's not really a proven fact or anything, just something that made sense to me after reading this discussion.

The blurb in that article specifiacally mentions that 45% of those tourists come from Mexico, which would lead me to think they are coming for family and shopping as well as business.

Great list though, and the pictures really give you a sense of how beautiful all these cities are...look at the pic of Dallas, it makes the trinity river(?) look like San Diego Bay...

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Because it's not located on one of the two major coasts, not an old traditional city that reminds people of Europe or wherever, and as a result gets snubbed by the "really cool" people, who know what's in and what's not. The really cool kids almost always know how to make the others feel left out and insecure, so the others (and Houston has its kin in this regard) spend time and money trying to get the really cool kids to, just for once, say its cool, too.

It's the dog chasing its tail.

You know, I don't really know where this come from. To be honest with you, I think that apart from the climate, Houston has a pretty decent reputation. Where do you hear this kind of criticism? I can't think of any real negativity that I've heard from anyone that's visited Houston, or in anything I've ever read. Am I missing out on some giant wave of anti-Houston-ness? Who is it that you feel think that Houston should remind them of Europe?

Oh, this is merely sarcasm, Subdude. The truth is that the overwhelming majority of people across the country don't know much about Houston at all (or most cities that aren't there own or New York or Los Angeles). My comment was more a satire on the hardcore types--particularly city snobs (density freaks, etc) who truly believe that only old northeastern cities, Chicago and San Francisco are the only real places in America. All others are merely points on a map.

::Takes a small bow

• 3 weeks later...
I think it has more to do with the fact we are always playing "second fiddle" to Dallas in national perception. We're always being dissed about how "hot" it is and the bugs, etc...

No city wants a negative image.

Where are you getting this from? Where exactly is all this "dissing" taking place? Not that Dallas has a thing to do with it, but how is anyone able to dissect national perception and detect that Houston is somehow playing "second fiddle" to comparable cities?

Like I said above, I have never really been able to pick up on this huge wave of anti-Houston sentiment that others seem to feel is out there. Everyone I've spoken to who has visited Houston seems to have liked it just fine. The newspapers don't seem to be particularly awash in criticism of Houston. Am I missing something here? I just can't stand for us give the impression that we are somehow victims in this cruel world. That is just so un-Texan.

Well, for example: If I had a dollar for every time I heard some fool from Dallas say it's too hot down here I would be one rich mo-fo! That's just one example...

Well, yeah, people do complain about the heat. But that hardly amounts to a wave of negative feelings about Houston, or some awful "national perception". Lacking any solid evidence of Houston being "dissed," I would still go with the idea that our reputation over all is pretty good. Not perfect, but very good.

For Houston though, it's the size that partly contributes to locals thinking there is something special about this place.

Maybe from their perspective Houstons size does make it special. It's a pretty relative thing don't you think?

Where are you getting this from? Where exactly is all this "dissing" taking place? Not that Dallas has a thing to do with it, but how is anyone able to dissect national perception and detect that Houston is somehow playing "second fiddle" to comparable cities?

Like I said above, I have never really been able to pick up on this huge wave of anti-Houston sentiment that others seem to feel is out there. Everyone I've spoken to who has visited Houston seems to have liked it just fine. The newspapers don't seem to be particularly awash in criticism of Houston. Am I missing something here? I just can't stand for us give the impression that we are somehow victims in this cruel world. That is just so un-Texan.

Good post. I've also never understood why some of the locals feel their being disrespected by the rest of the country. I've said before that among most of my travels on the road, I rarely found people that hated Houston. In fact it was mainly favorable.

• 2 weeks later...
Well, yeah, people do complain about the heat. But that hardly amounts to a wave of negative feelings about Houston, or some awful "national perception". Lacking any solid evidence of Houston being "dissed," I would still go with the idea that our reputation over all is pretty good. Not perfect, but very good.

I'll take Houston's heat over (let's see) about 60 percent of the rest of the country right now. We're not trapped in our houses and snowed in for 5 months of the year.

There's a lot of people in the US that have either not been to the city at all and just have a bad impression of it (and Texas in general for that matter) or came here once for some random business trip and didn't see anything that they liked. Honestly, the people on this forum live here or have a strong connection to Houston so we KNOW the city, and how many hidden surprises there are here. After living here, I don't think I'd be happy in some cookie-cutter over-exposed urban mecca like New York... it's just not unique enough. Houston has this amazing ability to take on everyone's persona... the city, the country, the Texan, the cajun, etc. It's kinda scary how the ultra conservatives can live and work around the young gay community, or to see a big group of Asian guys bustin' a move to Mike Jones. Everyone... if they look around enough... seems to find a place here.

My slogan: "Houston: Come and see where you fit in"

Archived