How About Them Cowboys?

RedScare

http://www.star-telegram.com/330/story/314234.html

If you want to watch Tony Romo throw a touchdown pass from a seat on the 50-yard line in the lower bowl of the new stadium, be prepared to shell out big bucks.

It will cost Dallas Cowboys season-ticket holders from $16,000 to $50,000 just for a personal seat license, which gives them the option to buy a $340 club seat ticket to see that play in 2009. That doesn't include parking -- $750 for a premier season parking pass -- or the beers and hot dogs during the game.

Estimates are that PSL income alone could net Mr. Jones $700 million. Considering that Arlington taxpayers are on the hook for $350 million of the $1 Billion stadium...and NFL owners chipped in $100 million, Jones could actually make a quarter billion dollar profit without ever playing a game in his new digs. Now, I don't want to call Arlington voters stupid...but, what other word comes to mind?

The most expensive seat licenses will cost $150,000...just for the right to buy $360 tickets! Suites start at $100,000 per year for 20 years. And to think Jerry and Commissioner Goodell were in Austin fighting the mean old cable companies for not "thinking in the consumer's best interest".

Best interest indeed.

http://www.star-telegram.com/330/story/314234.html

Estimates are that PSL income alone could net Mr. Jones $700 million. Considering that Arlington taxpayers are on the hook for $350 million of the $1 Billion stadium...and NFL owners chipped in $100 million, Jones could actually make a quarter billion dollar profit without ever playing a game in his new digs. Now, I don't want to call Arlington voters stupid...but, what other word comes to mind?

The most expensive seat licenses will cost $150,000...just for the right to buy $360 tickets! Suites start at $100,000 per year for 20 years. And to think Jerry and Commissioner Goodell were in Austin fighting the mean old cable companies for not "thinking in the consumer's best interest".

Best interest indeed.

I know it's only soccer, but would now be the appropriate time to talk about the Dynamo stadium? I hear they really deserve it. :)

red he's not doing what any of the rest of the big time owners in all sorts of sports are pulling. Take Bruton Smith for instance. He wanted to build a drag strip next to his speedway in Charlotte NC, the locals put up a stink about the excessive noise that it will generate, and tried to block the deal politically. Bruton Smith then said fine I'll just take my speedway to another town that will work with me on this, and began seeking property in another county. All of a sudden some bean counter got on his abacus and figured out the $3 billion dollars in revenues they will be losing if the event leaves the area. Now Bruton Smith is getting $80 million in incentive money to stay put, and it's only going to cost $50 million to build this drag strip he wants. The NCDOT even changed the name of the highway in front of his speedway Bruton Smith Blvd. So he gets a Highway named in his honer and pockets $30 million in profit to stay put after he builds his drag strip.

Sports team owners and big promoters rape the tax payer every where they can. Some worse than others, but they rarely take money out of their own pockets to do anything. Kinda like some lawyers I know.......Just joking Red...... :lol:

I know it's only soccer, but would now be the appropriate time to talk about the Dynamo stadium? I hear they really deserve it. :)

You really think Houston Dynamo are going to charge $50,000 for a personal seat license? And do you really expect Dynamo to ask the city of Houston to pay $350 Million for their stadium? They're asking for infrastructure funds, which is a lot more reasonable than any sports team asking a city to pay $100 Million or more for a private stadium itself in any sport.

They're nowhere near similar in deals. My question about Arlington is this: since they paid $350 Million for the new stadium, how much of the ticket and sponsorship revenue will go back to Arlington? And if the answer isn't that much, how are they expected to get their money back? Other developments? Through taxes?

Just give them the Astrodome, and call it the Dynamodome and be done with it !!! At the very least use the dome for the next 5 years and let it generate an income to help payback some of the bonds on it ! This isn't rocket science.

• The title was changed to How About Them Cowboys?

Archived