$649k House In Eastwood

rps324

It looks like this one got a contract on it today.

Link

This breaks some new ground for that area.

Cool. I wonder if the bid is full price??

Can't wait for the new, rich neighbors to invite us over for a pool party. :D

Hey RPS, I got of the spiral staircase in the kitchen and have reclaimed the attic for storage. Not too mention sealing it off has made a dramatic difference in cooling/heating the place. Happy day!!

Cool. I wonder if the bid is full price??

Can't wait for the new, rich neighbors to invite us over for a pool party. :D

Hey RPS, I got of the spiral staircase in the kitchen and have reclaimed the attic for storage. Not too mention sealing it off has made a dramatic difference in cooling/heating the place. Happy day!!

I'm sure the cooling costs made it not worth it for that small amount of space. Sounds like a good move.

This deal on McKinney is still in option, so who knows if it will go through or not. Appraisal will be a challenge on this one since there really isn't anything comparable in there. I hope it goes through.

Getting too rich for my blood over there. But that is a great ole house.

Wow that's great for Eastwood. I love to see a beautiful restoration like that.

We were looking at purchasing a little house or two for rentals in that neighborhood for an investment. Looks like we might be too late and thought about it too long.

Wow that's great for Eastwood. I love to see a beautiful restoration like that.

We were looking at purchasing a little house or two for rentals in that neighborhood for an investment. Looks like we might be too late and thought about it too long.

There's still cheap things over there, but when they come up they move quick.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like the option period has expired and this one will close. Can't wait to know who bought it! :)

Sadly enough I didn't receive a welcome pack or a copy of the deed restrictions when I moved to Eastwood, so I have no idea if the house could be used for commercial purposes or what land use restrictions there are.

Looks like the option period has expired and this one will close. Can't wait to know who bought it! :)

Sadly enough I didn't receive a welcome pack or a copy of the deed restrictions when I moved to Eastwood, so I have no idea if the house could be used for commercial purposes or what land use restrictions there are.

The HAR listing states $25 voluntary maintenance, so that would imply no deed restricitions.

This house is obviously in a class by itself around there but other restored 2000 sq footers are bumping up at 300K, which seems about where the Heights was not too long ago. Assuming a fair housing market, there should be a lot of new construction in the surroundings in the near future.

The HAR listing states $25 voluntary maintenance, so that would imply no deed restricitions.

There is no HOA, but there are deed restrictions. No commercial property, but they're otherwise pretty weak...unless you have brown skin and think the year is 1920-something.

Travelguy be careful about complaining of not receiving a packet, I did that in Glenbrook and was almost assigned the duty of doing it for the subdivision!

The lack of a mandatory HOA does not imply no deed restrictions. I think they were just renewed and/or possibly improved. I am not sure but I think there is something about it on Eastwood's website.

December seems to have been a pretty good month for real estate in the east end overall, just sort of looking at availability/sales. Most all of the "mid-range" stuff in Idylwood moved, leaving the two extremes of just the top of the market properties and a couple of rough ones at the bottom of the price structure. Of course this one in Eastwood moved fairly quickly, and I saw two in Glenbrook move on Colgate. One listed at $219,900, which I believe was purchased by a stock-trader from Clear Lake, and another listed at I think $239,900 listed with Karpas. In the past the ones in excess of $200k moved slower down there. I just did two deals in Meadowcreek with people coming from the inner loop also.

At this rate we may get respectable over here yet!

The lack of a mandatory HOA does not imply no deed restrictions. I think they were just renewed and/or possibly improved. I am not sure but I think there is something about it on Eastwood's website.

December seems to have been a pretty good month for real estate in the east end overall, just sort of looking at availability/sales. Most all of the "mid-range" stuff in Idylwood moved, leaving the two extremes of just the top of the market properties and a couple of rough ones at the bottom of the price structure. Of course this one in Eastwood moved fairly quickly, and I saw two in Glenbrook move on Colgate. One listed at $219,900, which I believe was purchased by a stock-trader from Clear Lake, and another listed at I think $239,900 listed with Karpas. In the past the ones in excess of $200k moved slower down there. I just did two deals in Meadowcreek with people coming from the inner loop also.

At this rate we may get respectable over here yet!

You and Niche are right about the HOA....what was I thinking..?

I think the area is being known around town more, and so is less scary to residents from the other parts of town. I found out about a guy tonight in my humble nabe of Pecan Park who has redone the 1938 house to flip and wants to replat the back 2000 sq ft. to build a townhouse. I'm not sure if he'll be able to do that in that exact location but it's a sign of things to come I'm sure.

• 2 weeks later...

i noticed a cool looking house at mckinney and telephone (i think) it's right across the street from a school and at an angled intersection. the house had a low pitch roof and access on both streets. it appears to be a great location at the forefront of this area. does anyone have information on it? like a doofus, i left my camera at home today. i didn't expect to be cruising around town.

i really like the lines of this property, not just the structure. i think it's ideal and is a "gateway" to eastwood.

i noticed a cool looking house at mckinney and telephone (i think) it's right across the street from a school and at an angled intersection. the house had a low pitch roof and access on both streets. it appears to be a great location at the forefront of this area. does anyone have information on it? like a doofus, i left my camera at home today. i didn't expect to be cruising around town.

i really like the lines of this property, not just the structure. i think it's ideal and is a "gateway" to eastwood.

it is one of my favorites over there.....now if they would only paint it.

It's an Airplane Bungalow style and is very similar to the Tellepsen House around the corner at 4518 Park St. There aren't many of that style in Houston and it's possible that Tellepsen designed and built it. He built the Lantrip School nearby and went to the Redeemer Church right there too. His house was on the Eastwood Home Tour a few years back. He was a sort of mechanical tinkerer genius apparently. His house has most of the original AC system he designed and built himself back around 1916.

does anyone have an idea about how much this house (mckinney and telephone) would be on the market? is this house in eastwood proper? what do you think about the properties along park drive? i like the setting of this street and think a path down the middle would be a great addition to the neighborhood.

does anyone have an idea about how much this house (mckinney and telephone) would be on the market? is this house in eastwood proper? what do you think about the properties along park drive? i like the setting of this street and think a path down the middle would be a great addition to the neighborhood.

Don't worry, we obsessed about it for a while as well...I think every old house lover does!

We left a note on the door offering to buy it earlier this fall. Of course never heard back. We heard from a friend in the area that he won't paint the exterior because he thinks it will make his taxes go up, LOL. Depending on the interior condition, we figured it would easily run $100k to fix it up and would probably be worth in the mid $300s once it was renovated to a decent standard (but that was just a guess of what WE would pay for it).

does anyone have an opinion on park drive? most of the properties i noticed weren't too interesting, but the split street with the wide median were attractive. i noticed one guy power washing his front porch. it appeared he was renovating a nice bungalow. there doesn't seem to be a much for sale in the area.

does anyone have an opinion on park drive? most of the properties i noticed weren't too interesting, but the split street with the wide median were attractive. i noticed one guy power washing his front porch. it appeared he was renovating a nice bungalow. there doesn't seem to be a much for sale in the area.

I think at this point, you have to keep a keen eye out constantly for new listings and FSBOs as the area has obviously been discovered. I remember talking to an older man at a meeting over there in probably 2004 who said to me, with amazement in his voice, that his Eastwood house was now worth 80K, but those days are long gone now. If I wanted to get in over there and couldn't afford the higher prices, I would search in the surrounding nabes. There are still pockets of localized squallor where one can get into a historic, if humble, house relatively cheaply, east of Dumble, for example, and wait for the wave of improvement to roll in and break on their doorstep eventually. And the more you look at those homes, like the ones on Park, the keener your eye becomes as far as seeing through bad alterations. Some of the best homes are often the ones whose original architecture has been modified to where it looks ugly and gets passed over by those who haven't developed old house x-ray vision yet. I am also surprised that such a signature type street as Park didn't somehow get built out with larger homes.

Park is my favorite street. I love the wide esplanade and the abundance of trees. However, that's about the only good thing on the street. I, too, was surprised that such a grand boulevard has some of the worst homes in the neighborhood. We tried to contact the owner of 4628 Park (or at least the contractor who is doing all the work on it), and couldn't get a return call. Other than that house, there aren't a lot of others of interest (to us). There ARE, however, a number of nearly identical 90's homes that look like they were built as affordable housing (here is one for sale http://search.har.com/engine/dispSearch.cf...mp;backButton=Y). They aren't in particularly good shape.

I am also surprised that such a signature type street as Park didn't somehow get built out with larger homes.

I know that there's a large culvert under Park (large enough to make the median a tiny little floodway on flood maps despite the rest of Eastwood being high and dry, but I'm not sure that it was always underground. The trees are also a fairly recent addition, and that's what has really generated interest, I think.

I know that there's a large culvert under Park (large enough to make the median a tiny little floodway on flood maps despite the rest of Eastwood being high and dry, but I'm not sure that it was always underground. The trees are also a fairly recent addition, and that's what has really generated interest, I think.

According to this article in the Eastwood Voice;

"There was a boulevard

driveway skirting the intertwining ravine running through

Eastwood which

Wasn't the ravine in Park Dr. originally a leg of Slaughterpen Bayou?

Slaughterpen is buried under Evergreen Cemetery (which floods), Hughes Tool, and down Lockwood to Macy's Warehouse too.

I always thought that its burial contributed to the constant flooding at the Elgin/Lockwood/45 underpass.

Yep, that was the uppermost reach of Slaughterpen Bayou, which I think is exposed briefly east of Dumble before going underground again near the cemetery or at Hughes Tool. The flood maps show it dead-ending at Telephone Rd, though, and not going down Lockwood.

Archived