$649k House In Eastwood

rps324

So now we can assume that Park Dr. was never intended to be an grand boulevard with an esplanade but just a street with a natural ravine in the middle, and so maybe the attention getting homes got built to the north and Park was considered a more isolated spot.

Yep, that was the uppermost reach of Slaughterpen Bayou, which I think is exposed briefly east of Dumble before going underground again near the cemetery or at Hughes Tool. The flood maps show it dead-ending at Telephone Rd, though, and not going down Lockwood.

Slaughterpen Bayou used to run behind the houses on the north side of Park Drive, which is east of Dumble. I never knew it had a name until now - we always called it The Gulley. When I was a child, my neighborhood buddies and I would swing across it on wild grape vines that grew along its banks. It seldom contained more than a trickle of water, but there were always minnows in the deeper pools. I believe that section of it was enclosed in a concrete pipe sometime in the 1950's.

Slaughterpen Bayou used to run behind the houses on the north side of Park Drive, which is east of Dumble. I never knew it had a name until now - we always called it The Gulley. When I was a child, my neighborhood buddies and I would swing across it on wild grape vines that grew along its banks. It seldom contained more than a trickle of water, but there were always minnows in the deeper pools. I believe that section of it was enclosed in a concrete pipe sometime in the 1950's.

For those not as familiar with the neighborhood, Park Dr. is not continuous at Dumble; the esplanade stops and the street takes a slight jog to the south. East of Dumble is where it starts going through back yards.

For those not as familiar with the neighborhood, Park Dr. is not continuous at Dumble; the esplanade stops and the street takes a slight jog to the south. East of Dumble is where it starts going through back yards.

Thanks for the clarification!

There is a fairly new red metal building on the corner of Park Drive and Dumble. It was for sale for a couple of years. Recently, I noticed some construction going on inside - any ideas on what's happening?

I wonder if you might recall that there were mostly tall trees all around that huge field (now Macy's warehouse showroom)? The tall trees were kind of crowded and then it just became a big open grassy field all the way to Telephone road (now newer Rufus Cage Elementary). Eastwood Transit center was a grassy field and there was a strange old storage building on the end of 1300 block of Munger. The area I mentioned where tall trees were had a very strange underground sewer system where you could tell bums would go down and sleep under? We had to shimey down to the bottom and it opened into a giant water sewer tunnel that went? We were lucky a big rush of water never came by as we were inspecting this place. Once Foley's started building the (former Showroom) it was covered or something? We used to fly kites in those large fields. Had to have been around 1968 to 1971-ish. Seems dream like now. Tunnel was very big. Must still be down there. :ph34r:

There is a fairly new red metal building on the corner of Park Drive and Dumble. It was for sale for a couple of years. Recently, I noticed some construction going on inside - any ideas on what's happening?

Yeah, I know the history pretty well, but I don't like making enemies, so I'm not saying nuthin' except the obvious: the metal siding is new, and as extensive as repairs were made, there isn't much left of the original brick building. It was marketed as a partially-framed out residential conversion.

There is a 2 story Victorian home directly behind or rather opposite corner of the Fire Station on Telephone and Ernestine? It has been vacant for decades. I wish I could move away to another lot before its demolished. I cannot believe anyone hasn't bought and restored by now? It still has some intricate detail and bits of bargeboard/gingerbread. Almost seems like a smal Swiss chalet style house. Its considered Eastwood. Now I must drive to to double check if still there. Its a beaut. :P

It is apparently residential, but I never saw that much work going on inside. I have heard a band practicing, either in that building or the second-hand shop next to it.

Leave it to Niche to be posting at the same time with better intel! So what gives?? Enemies, shmenemies. Give us the scoop!

Yeah, I know the history pretty well, but I don't like making enemies, so I'm not saying nuthin' except the obvious: the metal siding is new, and as extensive as repairs were made, there isn't much left of the original brick building. It was marketed as a partially-framed out residential conversion.

Hmmmm...my curiosity has been piqued, so I'll ask around at the next Eastwood Civic Association meeting.

When you mentioned "original brick building", an old childhood memory resurfaced. In the 1940's-50's, it was the site of The Louisiana Bakery, owned by the Provenzano family who used to live around the corner on Park Drive.

When you mentioned "original brick building", an old childhood memory resurfaced. In the 1940's-50's, it was the site of The Louisiana Bakery, owned by the Provenzano family who used to live around the corner on Park Drive.

That's one thing about the east end that has interested me--all the old Italian families were here at one point. My mom's family (Sicilian) is now 2 generations removed, settled in the Beaumont/Lake Charles area but if I ask my older aunts and uncles they know all the same family names for the 'cousins' on the Houston/Galveston side. I almost made an offer on a lot owned by the Patranella family. And of course the Mandolas are still in the hood with the business.

That's one thing about the east end that has interested me--all the old Italian families were here at one point. My mom's family (Sicilian) is now 2 generations removed, settled in the Beaumont/Lake Charles area but if I ask my older aunts and uncles they know all the same family names for the 'cousins' on the Houston/Galveston side. I almost made an offer on a lot owned by the Patranella family. And of course the Mandolas are still in the hood with the business.

A lot of the Italian families moved from the east end to Glenbrook back in the 50's. The Mandola's just put their house on the market.

Joe & Lena Mandola house

(Explains all the built in altars down here.)

A lot of the Italian families moved from the east end to Glenbrook back in the 50's. The Mandola's just put their house on the market.

Joe & Lena Mandola house

(Explains all the built in altars down here.)

Really! They were following the modern trends, I guess. I remember....that type house is very, very familiar to me. 4 uncles had those late 50s/early 60s custom-built beauties.

Really! They were following the modern trends, I guess. I remember....that type house is very, very familiar to me. 4 uncles had those late 50s/early 60s custom-built beauties.

One wing of the Patranella's (sp?) just sold a house on I think Glenheath. There is still one other Mandola household that I know about, one of the Montalbano's is still there, and there is another one of their old houses in there. There was also a couple of the Carrabba's in there too.

Apparently the northern half was very predominantly Italian. I have talked to a few older, long-term residents There is one old original owner in there I talked to that moved from Canal Street back "when it got bad" according to her. Back in the day the poker games at that household were legendary and went on apparently all night. There are a few of the old guard still down there, like Don Phares. He grew up in Eastwood originally.

Archived