Baird Home At 228 Emerson St.

dbigtex56

Anyone seen what's being done with this house?

The new owners are putting piles of money into it. They bought the house next door and demolished it to increase their lot size. Fortunately, the demolished house wasn't architecturally significant.

What's interesting is the construction of a new garage and outbuilding (cabana?) which are in the same style as the main house; the same square columns have been reproduced faithfully. It's really exceptional.

Interesting thing about those columns: although they appear to be constructed of solid wood, the inset panels are actually painted canvess!

Interesting - i'd like to get a closer look at the columns.

228 Emerson (the house that was demolished) was quite large it seems (just about the same sq. ft. of the house being remodeled), but with the land of 228 + 232, that gives about .43 acre of land.

danax and I spoke with the current occupant this past Sunday - very pleasant lady, who told us that the house next door was beyond salvaging. What little usable material that wasn't burned or termite-infested was incorporated into the new guest house at the rear of the property.

Even as a staunch preservationist, I see her point; to have attempted to repair that building would have really amounted to creating a replica of something which wasn't that special to begin with.

Hopefully, some pictures will be posted soon...

danax and I spoke with the current occupant this past Sunday - very pleasant lady, who told us that the house next door was beyond salvaging. What little usable material that wasn't burned or termite-infested was incorporated into the new guest house at the rear of the property.

Even as a staunch preservationist, I see her point; to have attempted to repair that building would have really amounted to creating a replica of something which wasn't that special to begin with.

Hopefully, some pictures will be posted soon...

Is this the house we're talking about? This is my first time trying to attach a .jpg to my post, so forgive me if this doesn't work out.

post-64-1196974452.jpg

We hope to have some pictures up of this house soon. It's located on the southwest corner of Emerson and Flora.

Better late than never.... :blush: I've been immersed in something and have missed my daily cup of HAIF.

7xmvy1v.jpg

869bp6c.jpg

82jsyld.jpg

Nice save on this house, since we can never take for granted that even the finest old homes will survive. The exterior renovation appears meticulous (the nice woman who lives there mentioned that her husband is a stickler). The period replica carriage house/servants quarters that sits in the back of the lot...............the pic didn't come out for some reason. <_<

• The title was changed to Baird Home At 228 Emerson St.