Home At 5103 South Braeswood Blvd.

HoustonRealtor

I still wish someone would buy the house and turn it into a 'house of green.'

Leave the space the way it was, but change all the formica finishes to green finishes. Of course make it LEED.

The cool thing is that it could be marketers of green products, and the Houston design Center that covers the cost.

I guess you could call it adaptive preservation. Sort of like the dream I had a while back for Saarinen's TWA Terminal at JFK airport. I thought they should restore it back to the original, and then use it as a Supersonic terminal (for Concorde flights). It'd mimick the use the building originally had, when airports only saw a few well-heeled travelers.

(And could you imagine how sexy a Concorde would look parked outside that building.)

But then they axed the Concorde, and bastardized Saarinen's building.

God I hope that doesn't happen to the House of Formica.

Gee, it seems that when someone says "formica", a 1950s modern kitchen image appears with a teenage Debbie Reynolds, in heels and pearls, smiling from the blender on the counter. It always surprises me that few know this was developed in the early 1900s as an electric insulator for motors, switches, and electric stuff. It evolved into furniture laminates by the beginning of the Depression. Imagination and versatility coupled with that majic association with the PLASIC world does lock it into the American 50s-60s home decor landscape. Properly cared for and bonded, whatever it covers in that house will become better preserved than current fossils. And look pretty cool in the process.

Sounds cool! Why don't you buy it and do it?

flipper

I still wish someone would buy the house and turn it into a 'house of green.'

Leave the space the way it was, but change all the formica finishes to green finishes. Of course make it LEED.

The cool thing is that it could be marketers of green products, and the Houston design Center that covers the cost.

I guess you could call it adaptive preservation. Sort of like the dream I had a while back for Saarinen's TWA Terminal at JFK airport. I thought they should restore it back to the original, and then use it as a Supersonic terminal (for Concorde flights). It'd mimick the use the building originally had, when airports only saw a few well-heeled travelers.

(And could you imagine how sexy a Concorde would look parked outside that building.)

But then they axed the Concorde, and bastardized Saarinen's building.

God I hope that doesn't happen to the House of Formica.

We looked at the Formica House today and love it. I remember when it was built! We are interested in buying and restoring. Liked the idea of a "green" house restoration. Could possibly pay cash, but have no idea how to even begin restoration. There are foundation problems and we are going to have that checked out first. Wondering if there were help available if we get to restoration. We are not planning on flipping this house. My son would manage the restoration for us and live there. Any ideas would be appreciated!

We looked at the Formica House today and love it. I remember when it was built! We are interested in buying and restoring. Liked the idea of a "green" house restoration. Could possibly pay cash, but have no idea how to even begin restoration. There are foundation problems and we are going to have that checked out first. Wondering if there were help available if we get to restoration. We are not planning on flipping this house. My son would manage the restoration for us and live there. Any ideas would be appreciated!

What kind of help do you mean? Before you get too far along I would get in touch with the COH planning department and see what the guidelines are for repairing a house in the 100 year floodplain.

All the best!

flipper

ps. if you have a savvy realtor, they might be able to get you copies of the many inspections already done at this house by all of the previously interested parties.

I am restoring my MCM following IKE and have learned volumes, even though I've been in residential construction for almost 30 years. Flipper makes a painfully valid point - what will "THEY" let you do on a floodplain, CODE issues, etc. Today we have an unpleasant number of "partners" who butt in and can surprise you as you grab that hammer and head for YOUR house. I'm speaking of FEMA, those County engineer types, local codes, insurance inspectors, and a group of people who will come out of the virtual woodwork as you start. Your best bet, and advice I have given anyone for decades - take your time, get to know an architect who's done this, and develop a thorough plan. My father still reminds me almost weekly to "build it on paper first." That simple advice will save you tens of thousands. Do try and avoid the four most expensive words in construction - "while you're at it".

But on the good side - far outnumbering all those new "partners" that will appear -are people like you will find on this board and in the preservation community. Reach out to the local AIA and historical preservation organizations as well as the national ones. They've been doing this well for a very long time and will be there for you.

And, if you need some formica history - drop me a line. I'd really love to see it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I would venture to guess that it is simply too difficult to make the numbers work -- purchase price/renovation costs/flood insurance/etc. It's certainly not a matter of lack of interest in the property... how many times has this home been in the process of closing only to re-appear with a "for sale" sign?

Yeah, there is something about this house that just doesn't sit right with me too. I love a great mod house, but this one is just off.

The problem for me is that it does not seem to be mid-century modern to me. It looks to be in that category called 60s-coke-party-crazy-modern, which is defined by the bar area being at least twice the size of the kitchen.

Hopefully some rooms were added on because the way it sits now is a horrible use of the lot. Although it sits on a large lot the views from the windows are something a patio home would have. And to top it off the location is horrible... you're going to need to be a sound sleeper to deal with the two major streets (although Braeswood is more like a freeway at times), it floods, and it is next door to the most violent area in Houston. Where do I sign up to get on that pending list?

There are a number of issues with this property... all of which have been covered previoulsy. Personally I am not a fan of this home regardless of it's provenance. From a business standpoint, any property in a flood zone -- especially the 100 year flood plain -- is (no pun intended) a wash-out. It simply does not make business sense to buy a property, restore/renovate it (in this case you would easily spend at a minimum an equal amount to purchase price) only to have to do it all over again once it floods. Would you ever see a return on your investment?

Perhaps... but there are many other properties of this era much more worthy of saving -- and for that matter, of being a topic. More than of few of which are now gone... and they did not garner half the attention this "white elephant" has.

Too bad.

Perhaps... but there are many other properties of this era much more worthy of saving -- and for that matter, of being a topic. More than of few of which are now gone... and they did not garner half the attention this "white elephant" has.

Domus - that's great to hear about better houses out there. I am genuinely interested in finding one since this one purportedly closed on May 22. Could you please tell me where they are that are as interesting, well-located and for a $240,000 asking price?

We live in a mid-century house in a far worse neighborhood for crime and want to get a better house in a better location. We are cash buyers and not afraid of some refurbishing.

"Could you please tell me where they are that are as interesting, well-located and for a $240,000 asking price?"

You should be able to purchase a decent post-war modern for that price... as to whether or not it will require updating/renovation is entirely dependent on location. Real Estate Agent Robert Searcy will likely be able to assist you in your quest... I'll send you his email address.

"Could you please tell me where they are that are as interesting, well-located and for a $240,000 asking price?"

The more sleuthing I do, the more mods around town I'm finding. Seems that almost any neighborhood built during the 50's-60's is likely to have at least a few. I discovered some more I didn't know about this weekend in Mangum Manor, a very decent 'hood just outside the loop at 290. Also Glenbrook Valley, Spring Branch, Meyerland, and many more. The highest concentration of them I've seen seems to be Memorial Bend, but of course that's priced over $240K and many of them have seen the developer's wrecking ball in recent years.

Maybe this should be a completely different thread??? But...

Where do you live that's so bad? How many modern elements do you hope to find? How original do you expect it to be?

First off $240K will limit you to:

A - terrible condition in a good neighborhood (like the house this thread covers).

What are the "good neighborhoods"? Well, that too is up for a major debate, covered in several topics around this forum.

B - small house in an average neighborhood - and it will still probably need $30K in repairs.

Most MCMs around town in the under $500K are pretty small anyway. 1700K sq. ft. is about all you're getting under $250K.

Now the "modern elements". The more modern elements you expect to find the rarer and harder it will be. Floor to ceiling glass, flat roof, post and beam, lack of moulding, sliding glass doors, built-in furniture, courtyards, a locally known architect... The more options you want the less likely you will find it. Are you set on an "Eichler Style" or a "Frank Lloyd Wright wannabe" or a "Miesian" or 1960s party house, or is "ranch with modern undertones" good?

The same goes for how original you expect it to be. You're just not likely to find an untouched 1950s house. But you might find something worth saving.

Finally, do you want to furnish it in modern? One of my top 20 favorite houses in Houston is a ranch with modern lines, but the fact that it is completely stylin' inside makes all the difference.

And rule number 1 - there will always be some kind of issues you can't control. If you can tolerate that then you'll survive.

Jason

Domus - that's great to hear about better houses out there. I am genuinely interested in finding one since this one purportedly closed on May 22. Could you please tell me where they are that are as interesting, well-located and for a $240,000 asking price?

We live in a mid-century house in a far worse neighborhood for crime and want to get a better house in a better location. We are cash buyers and not afraid of some refurbishing.

The highest concentration of them I've seen seems to be Memorial Bend, but of course that's priced over $240K and many of them have seen the developer's wrecking ball in recent years.

Fortunately, most of the houses that have fallen in MB have not been mods. I still stuffer when any of them fall, though.