Bayridge Subdivision In League City

bred

I just purchased a home in the Bayridge subdivision of League City, just northwest of the site of the old Houston Gulf Airport and surrounded by most of the new development in east League City and was struck by a few oddities I noticed.

First, it seems that this neighborhood was developed in the early or mid 70's and stood alone and isolated until very recently with the construction of SH 96 and the spread of South Shore Harbour out to this area. Does anybody know who developed this area and why they decided to plop a subdivision down into the middle of an isolated area so many years ago?

Also, there is an old and relatively small apartment complex in the neighborhood which looks like it has done more harm than good to property values over the years. This also seems like an odd choice and I was wondering if it pre-dates the original development or if anyone has any information regarding this.

Third, dominating the entrance to the neighborhood is a huge, ugly complex of tan metal buildings that looks lke it is used as a mass laundry facility. Some and steam pours from the building regularly and I believe it is owned and operated by UTMB. Again, a strange location and I was wondering if there is some connection between this facility and the apartments, which back up to the laundromat and look like they are even connected in some places.

Finally, adjacent to the apartments and visible from SH 96 are several new homes which look to have been built in the last several years and the half completed shells of several others which look to have been abandoned and boarded up. Did someone try to develop the reserve lots and fail half way through? What is to become of the empty shells and empty slabs which are an eyesore to this area?

Any info would be greatly appreciated. I would like to find out what was the reasoning behind so many decisions which have probably hindered the success of this neighborhood in the past. I think Bayridge may be at a point in it's life cycle with the new developments nearby in League City that it may be time to raze the apartments and dismantle the laundry facility. I can't see those structres surviving for much longer with all of the high end development nearby.

I see what you're talking about now. That is odd that there would be a development in that location in the 70's. Maybe some land speculator was way ahead of his time. Or someone really believed that airport was going to take off.

Wow. I did some research and it seems that I was dead on. Here is an article from the Houston Chronicle in 1985. Very interesteing:

Paper: HOUSTON CHRONICLE

Date: MON 10/28/1985

Section: 1Page: 10Edition: 1 STAR

Neighborhood in lather over linen service expansion

By MARK TOOHEYStaff LEAGUE CITY -

Plans by a commercial linen service to expand its operations and employ brain trauma victims as part of a rehabilitation program are not washing well with some area residents. The 4M Uniform Linen Service long has been considered Public Enemy No. 1 by some residents of League City's Bayridge subdivision. It is owned by the Transitional Learning Community, a non-profit corporation that works to rehabilitate brain trauma victims, and is located along FM 1266 in the northeast corner of town. It occupies a one-block stretch between the subdivision's two entrance streets. Residents say it is an eyesore. "No one is happy about the laundry being out here," said Dick Potthoff, a Bayridge resident and president of the subdivision's private Bayridge Utility District. "It detracts from the value of our land. They just don't take any pride in the way it looks. It started out as a washateria and just got bigger and bigger and bigger," said Potthoff. Bayridge residents blame the linen service for overburdening the sewer system, a situation that they say has polluted nearby Gum Bayou, a tributary of Dickinson Bayou. The business was formerly owned by Galveston businessman Robert Moody, chairman of Moody National Bank and a trustee of the Moody Foundation. Moody, whose son, Russell, is a patient at the center, recently gave 4M to the Transitional Learning Community along with 500 acres of undeveloped farm and grazing land. Transitional Learning Community officials describe the linen service as their "earnings arm." The rehabilitation of head trauma victims begins at the corporation's center in Galveston. The center has a paid staff and can treat as many as 16 patients at a time. Employment at the linen service is viewed as a second step in the rehabilitation process. "You just can't tell these people to leave the TLC center and go out and get a job in the real world," said Mel Lamont, general manager for 4M. "This would be a good stop in between." The Moody family also owns the Bayridge Apartments behind the linen service, and 4M's expansion plans, which were unveiled recently at a League City planning commission meeting, include the use of some vacant apartment units. Lamont told the planning commission his linen service wants to clean up its act. To do so, he said, the business must be allowed to expand from 18,000 square feet to 31,000 square feet. After expansion, Lamont said, 4M would employ as many as 350 people, up from the 50 who now work there. Furthermore, he said, the expansion plans call for converting some of the vacant apartments to living quarters for TLC patients, who would be trained to work in the linen service. "It would be another stage in their development," said Lamont. "Our ultimate goal is to bring 30 or 40 of them in and put them to work. Those who are unable to work for the linen service could graze cattle or grow crops in the field. I don't see how anyone could oppose this." Potthoff said Bayridge residents are skeptical about the expansion plans and probably will oppose them. "I think bringing those people down here to work is a noble idea if he's serious about it," said Potthoff. "It's not like they'd be setting up a halfway house for people just out of prison. I don't see any problem with that at all. I just wonder if giving away all that land isn't just a tax dodge." Before anybody can do anything in Bayridge, the problem of sewage must be solved. The utility district's sewage treatment plant, which is shared by residents and the linen service, has reached its capacity. In the last year, the sewage controversy has pitted the two sides against one another in state district court in Galveston and before the Texas Water Commission in Austin. The utility district has been unsuccessful in its efforts to cut off sewer service to 4M, and League City officials have stepped in to negotiate a settlement between the two sides. Potthoff and attorneys for the laundry say they are near agreement on a plan calling for both sides to share the cost of a new line and lift station to tie into League City's sewer system. Once the linen service solves its sewage problems, there will be little residents can do to block the expansion. "This entire situation has become a monster," said League City Mayor Joe Lamb. "We might not like the looks of it either. But we don't have zoning here and, as long as they comply with all the building rules, there's not much anyone can do to stop them."

It looks like the Galveston Moody's were originally the owners of the laundry and the apartments!

Paper: HOUSTON CHRONICLE

Date: THU 09/05/1985

Section: 1Page: 23Edition: NO STAR

City, laundry pact near on wastewater

By BILL DAWSONStaff

League City and a laundry associated with a Galveston center for brain-trauma victims have tentatively agreed to a plan for a city sewage plant to treat the laundry's wastewater. The plan, which requires further negotiation before a formal contract is signed, was revealed Wednesday at a hearing in League City, said Kevin McCalla, hearing examiner for the Texas Water Commission. Officials of the Texas Department of Water Resources, which became part of the Water Commission on Sept. 1, had said the Bayridge Utility District's treatment plant repeatedly polluted nearby Gum Bayou because it was overloaded by wastewater from 4M Linen and Laundry Co. Robert Moody, Galveston businessman and philanthropist, and a trust created for his children were the original owners of the laundry, but ownership was transferred earlier this year to the Transitional Learning Community, a non-profit corporation that the Moody Foundation set up to help victims of head trauma. If the agreement takes effect to have League City, rather than the utility district, treat the laundry's wastewater, it will end a running dispute between Moody and residents of the Bayridge subdivision. After the utility district received several violation notices from the state for its plant's pollution of Gum Bayou, it proposed in 1984 to limit or cut off service to the laundry. The laundry sued the district, and state District Judge Henry Dalehite in Galveston ordered the district to continue treating the laundry's wastewater while the laundry developed and got state approval for its own treatment system. Some Bayridge residents were then concerned about the laundry's proposal of an "overland" treatment system, which would have involved spreading wastewater on fields near their homes in an area they said sometimes floods. In May, residents of the subdivision, which is in League City, went to Austin aboard a bus chartered by the city to oppose the laundry's proposal before the Water Commission. League City Mayor Joe Lamb also voiced objections. McCalla said the plan announced Wednesday will involve the construction of a pipeline to carry wastewater from the laundry to the city's treatment plant. It includes payment of a surcharge if the wastewater received at the city plant exceeds certain pollutant limits, he said. Attorneys for the laundry and the city said they expected to reach a final agreement, under which the laundry would withdraw its request for approval of its own treatment system, McCalla said.

Edited by bred

y'all may need to know that Robert Moody's son, mentioned in the above Chronicle article is the victim of a head injury caused by a rollover accident in a Jeep. The whole transitional learning center venture was part of Robert Moody's efforts to bring real life occupations to these victims. Robert Moody was frustrated in the lack of such real resources for head injury victims once his son tryed to recover. The Transitional Learning Center, Hope Arena and the later Moody Gardens complex itself were created by the Moody family because of this unfortunate accident suffered by one of their own. Eventually more land around Bayridge was acquired by the Moody's, who financed the South Shore Harbor development. Galtex Hotel Corp. (a Moody Company) owns and operates the South Shore Hotel and Conference Center.

You can google 3001 Hwy 96 League City, TX 77573 to get to the address of the apartments I believe. I live on Bay Ridge Drive.

Hey! I lived in the Bayridge apartments from 89-91. That whole layout of the area worked pretty well then until they built the highway. Isn't 96 the old FM 1266? I saw it a couple of years ago for the first time and it looked wierd. The old road used to curve to the right about where you enter that neighborhood.

Hey! I lived in the Bayridge apartments from 89-91. That whole layout of the area worked pretty well then until they built the highway. Isn't 96 the old FM 1266? I saw it a couple of years ago for the first time and it looked wierd. The old road used to curve to the right about where you enter that neighborhood.

Yes, FM 1226 (Dickinson-Kemah Rd) turned north in front of the subdivision. State Highway 96 follows the short east-west portion of FM 1266 before it turned south at the entrance to the old Space Land Airport.

How was the neighborhood back then? Was it much different than today?

y'all may need to know that Robert Moody's son, mentioned in the above Chronicle article is the victim of a head injury caused by a rollover accident in a Jeep. The whole transitional learning center venture was part of Robert Moody's efforts to bring real life occupations to these victims. Robert Moody was frustrated in the lack of such real resources for head injury victims once his son tryed to recover. The Transitional Learning Center, Hope Arena and the later Moody Gardens complex itself were created by the Moody family because of this unfortunate accident suffered by one of their own. Eventually more land around Bayridge was acquired by the Moody's, who financed the South Shore Harbor development. Galtex Hotel Corp. (a Moody Company) owns and operates the South Shore Hotel and Conference Center.

Do you know if the Moodys built and/or financed the Bayridge Apartments or if perhaps they acquired them and built the laundry facility around them?

Do you know if the Moodys built and/or financed the Bayridge Apartments or if perhaps they acquired them and built the laundry facility around them?

The apertments were there first and I assume built by others long before the Moody's aquired it.

Hi.....I am new to the thread. I couldn't help but join once I read the exciting thread about Bayridge! Please read my story........

I have been a resident of Bayridge for 26 years! It sure does have a lot of history and a lot of that has been mentioned in this thread. The Houston Gulf Airport, Laundry (UTMB), Apartments, Moody's and so on. While Bayridge is so rich with tradition, I have always felt that you can never learn enough and nothing ever surprises me when I hear something new. If anyone can answer the following, I would greatly appreciate it.........

Why is it called Bayridge and who made that name?

Who owned the RidgeRunner gas station?

Did they ever find out who burned the RidgeRunner down?

Does anyone remember the parachuter that died at the airport, what was his/her name?

Who is the builder for those new houses that are being built at the front of the neighborhood, will they ever be completed?

Any other thoughts???? Lets keep the tradition alive!!

Hi.....I am new to the thread. I couldn't help but join once I read the exciting thread about Bayridge! Please read my story........

I have been a resident of Bayridge for 26 years! It sure does have a lot of history and a lot of that has been mentioned in this thread. The Houston Gulf Airport, Laundry (UTMB), Apartments, Moody's and so on. While Bayridge is so rich with tradition, I have always felt that you can never learn enough and nothing ever surprises me when I hear something new. If anyone can answer the following, I would greatly appreciate it.........

Why is it called Bayridge and who made that name?

Who owned the RidgeRunner gas station?

Did they ever find out who burned the RidgeRunner down?

Does anyone remember the parachuter that died at the airport, what was his/her name?

Who is the builder for those new houses that are being built at the front of the neighborhood, will they ever be completed?

Any other thoughts???? Lets keep the tradition alive!!

My sister used to parachute at Houston Gulf Airport back in th 70 's and 80's, and so did a couple of my cousins. I'll see if they remember who the unhappy jumper was. I myself, never could figure out the intrigue of jumping out of a perfectly good airplane. So long as the pilot feels safe staying aboard, then I'm staying with him.

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...
I see what you're talking about now. That is odd that there would be a development in that location in the 70's. Maybe some land speculator was way ahead of his time. Or someone really believed that airport was going to take off.

I think I may have figured out why the development was built here. If you look at old freeway planning maps from the 50's through the 70's, there was a proposed re-alignment of Highway 146 that would have had it running right past the neighborhood. Obviously, this never happened, but you can see the proposed path on this map:

houston_1971_merged.jpg

• 7 months later...

I grew up in Bay Ridge (1977-93). My parents built the house in '77 and the builder for our house was Brighton Homes. The apartments were built in the mid eighties and there was a big stir. The laundry came shortly after with another outcry. I was a kid at this point so I only remeber my parents griping out it. I really found this information very interesting. I remember my parents complaining about Moody and the laundry being a big eyesore for the homeowners. Knowing more of the story it is crazy that they dropped this big industrial looking building in front of a neighborhood. I know he sure would have never dreamed of putting in front of South Shore but it would be tolerated in a lower income area. I also remember the neighborhood would flood really badly in most rain storms and we left the neighborhood in a motor boat one time. I also remember riding my bike to the little store (Ridge Runner)in front of the neighborhood. This forum brings back a lot of memories and also answers questions I had about why the houses were built in the middle of a field with nothing around. People always complained about having to drive to the end of the earth to see us. I knew my husband was a keeper when he kept driving all the way out to see me with no complaints. The intersection in front of the neighborhood looks completely different now. I drove out to visit the old house a few years back and didn't know where I was. I keep meaning to bring my Dad back out to see how everything has changed. Thanks for the informative posts!

I grew up in Bay Ridge (1977-93). My parents built the house in '77 and the builder for our house was Brighton Homes. The apartments were built in the mid eighties and there was a big stir. The laundry came shortly after with another outcry. I was a kid at this point so I only remeber my parents griping out it. I really found this information very interesting. I remember my parents complaining about Moody and the laundry being a big eyesore for the homeowners. Knowing more of the story it is crazy that they dropped this big industrial looking building in front of a neighborhood. I know he sure would have never dreamed of putting in front of South Shore but it would be tolerated in a lower income area. I also remember the neighborhood would flood really badly in most rain storms and we left the neighborhood in a motor boat one time. I also remember riding my bike to the little store (Ridge Runner)in front of the neighborhood. This forum brings back a lot of memories and also answers questions I had about why the houses were built in the middle of a field with nothing around. People always complained about having to drive to the end of the earth to see us. I knew my husband was a keeper when he kept driving all the way out to see me with no complaints. The intersection in front of the neighborhood looks completely different now. I drove out to visit the old house a few years back and didn't know where I was. I keep meaning to bring my Dad back out to see how everything has changed. Thanks for the informative posts!

All of that is correct as far as I can tell except the time that the apartments were built. According to historic aerials, the neighborhood first began to take shape around 1972-73, with just the first few streets near the entrance being built, and the first few houses going up. The apartments were built around 1974, according to several verifiable sources. The apartments stayed the same until the early to mid 80's, when the laundromat was built, and some of the apartments were absorbed or torn down to make way for the laundry. Some of them were reconfigured to become part of the laundry, but I don't know today if any of those units are in use, or if they are just empty or used for storage.

Another thing I found interesting from historic aerials was a dirt road and a house that was present on the site before the neighborhood was built. This structure can be seen all the way back to 1957. Looks like the road cut through the present day subdivision diagonally and went all the way past the drainage ditch at the back of the subdivision and beyond. Looks like there was an old bridge that crossed over the ditch (gum bayou) at that time.

Does anybody have any recollection of this bridge? Bonus points for photos!

Bayridge 1957 - http://www.historicaerials.com/?poi=6336

Bayridge 1973 - http://www.historicaerials.com/?poi=6337

Bayridge Present Day - http://www.historicaerials.com/?poi=6338

EDIT: This shows the neighborhood circa 1981 before the laundromat came in and took over the front of the subdivision. You can compare the years to see the transformation: http://www.historicaerials.com/?poi=6339

Edited by bred

• 2 years later...

It looks like the old UTMB laundromat will finally be torn down some time in the near future. I snapped a few pics today. Along with containing at least the old 4-M Market (first convenience store in Bay Ridge), and possibly a neighborhood laundromat, it looks like the UTMB laundry complex might have at one time contained a mini-storage as well called the 4-M Mini Storage post-5048-0-30695900-1329957281_thumb.jppost-5048-0-68898000-1329956879_thumb.jppost-5048-0-78333100-1329956970_thumb.jp