Porch Separating From 1929 Brick Craftsman

I own a 1929 Craftsman in the Shepherd/Westheimer area. I've lived in it for about 6 years. In that time there was always a small gap between the concrete floor of the porch and the wall of the main house, but nothing serious. In the past few months though, the gap has grown noticeably larger and runs the entiure width of the porch - probably 1 - 1.5". A gap has also appeared between the floor and the steps on the side. The entire thing seems to be coming apart. Any advice on what I can do to alleviate. I have a pier and beam guy that I have used for maintenance of the main structure - would he be the person to call for this? Or is this a cylical thing that will correct itself in time?

you can expect shifting like this over time. i know mine has a slight gap. someone else i know had the concrete porch removed and replaced with a nice pier/beam replacement porch because it was way out of alignment. my porch is independent of the beams of the house as is my friend's so replacement would be an easy option if i felt it was necessary.

Edited by musicman

Sounds like you just need to jack up the back of the house to come forward a little. BUT, perhaps it is the porch that is moving away from the house. You need to hire a surveyor to evaluate it. About $300 or so is the cost, and you can figure out which one is actually moving, causing the seperation. Or, what I would do, is have Olshan's come out and give you an estimate, I am pretty sure the estimate is free, and I feel confident they can tell you what the problem might be.

Edited by TJones

I saw a show in Austin where they fixed this on old homes by inflating the slab with air and then refilling underneath. It looks like an easy solution vs. a total rebuild.

I tried to Google this but didn't have much luck.

Anyone else see this show? It was on PBS.

I think you are talking about the Austin season of This Old House. They used this method: http://www.uretekicr.com/

You drill through the concrete into the ground and inject a 2 part expanding foam that lifts the structure.

flipper

I would entertain the notion of having the porch removed and rebuilt as pier and beam. If your existing porch is of the earth filled variety then you're just BEGGING for termites to invade, and if they do invade it will be quite difficult for them to be detected until they've done a lot of damage.

I have a feeling it's earth filled since a few years back I removed a smaller original porch at the side of the house that had deteriorated in similar fashion; it was earth filled. thanks for all the input, I'll have a couple of foundation companies take a look. if it were elsewhere in the house I wouldn't mind as much but it's a very visible part of the house and is pretty unsightly.