Completed House Active On Mls

Flip,

Kitchen and Bath's are what sell the house and you seem to have hit them both out of the ballpark. I can not comment on the price/sqft/ and area comparables but I'm sure you have it priced accordingly.

Well done, hope you get a quick sale on it!

Regards,

Scharpe St Guy

It pains me to see the veneered interior doors replaced with hollow pressboard ones, the old tilework replaced (but it does look good) and the rounded kitchen destroyed. I know it's all market driven so nothing personal. The place looks like what "people these days" want.

Scharpe St, We are trying to set a new high comp so we'll see.

Music man, You are right. Look for new finishes in the next one. We are getting tired of these.

Vertigo58, Thanks. We'll see if we did great or not in the next couple weeks :)

danax, nothing taken personally. I've said many times that I'd love to do a retro-remodel. It would just need to be the right house. Not just a regular rancher with old 4x4 tile. Hey if it makes you feel any better, we mud set all of our tile just like in the old days ;)

In other news. I have the original blueprints to this house!

flipper

I liked the old round kitchen. Were the walls actually round, or was there dead space in the corners?

The new stove and microhood look cheap. Who are they made by?

The framing was "rounded". There was a closet in the dining room in the left dead space and the water heater in the right dead space.

The real killer of the round kitchen was trying to fit a 30" range and venthood or microwave without making it awkward. That and the fir down.

Range: Range Link

Microwave: Microwave Link

flipper

On the before photos there was a cool louvered (for lack of a better term) fence in the back patio area, atop of some layers of brick. Is that still there? I really like the way that looks.

Yes, we thought it was cool and we left it.

IMG_8308.jpg

I finally got around to looking at the original blueprints of the house tonight. Turns out it was done by Lucian T Hood. I bet he did several in the neighborhood as there are many that look similar to mine.

flipper

ps. I can't believe no one has said "about time you didn't paint the brick"

Looks good. Love to see you bring back the "new retro-20's look," that's the next trend, in the next flip. Subway tile and white marble counters, claw foot tub etc.

BTW, for some reason everytime I see a corner fireplace I want to pack it full of dynomite and let'er rip. Its a designers nightmare. "Let's put the focal point of the room.........IN THE CORNER!!" arg.

Looks good. Love to see you bring back the "new retro-20's look," that's the next trend, in the next flip. Subway tile and white marble counters, claw foot tub etc.

BTW, for some reason everytime I see a corner fireplace I want to pack it full of dynomite and let'er rip. Its a designers nightmare. "Let's put the focal point of the room.........IN THE CORNER!!" arg.

lol

At least in this house, the room is large enough that you could have two distinct areas. A small sitting area around the fire place (with two lounges and a lamp for reading by the fire), and then a fuller area with sofas for congregating.

Really beautiful house. If it were in the right area of town, I'd actually consider it. I *LOVE* houses like this (mine is the same way, just smaller).

Just a little update since I don't actively update the blog for this project...

Since we put the house on the market last Wednesday we've had 4 realtors show the house a total of 7 times. One couple is looking at it for the 3rd time today, and one couple looked at it for the 2nd time yesterday.

crossing fingers,

flipper

Looks great except for the boring white cabinets. I'm a wood freak, I like stained cabinets and interior doors. Easier to clean and you never have to paint.

I agree about the white cabinets. (I never saw saw much white cabinetry until I moved to Houston). At least the shower surround and vanity top have been upgraded from the standard white cultured marble. But at that price point, I think the cabinets could have used an upgrade too.

Looks great! Love your backsplash. What are the materials? may steal your design... have you considering different colors for bedroom moldings - I am not a big fan of white trim...
Thanks!The field tile in the backsplash is 4x4 botticino marble and the inserts are 1x1 glass.Personally, I like the white doors, casing, base and crown against the wall color we use. We get a lot of positive feedback on the combo.The cabinets (kitchen, both baths) are an off white called "divine white".flipper
I agree about the white cabinets. (I never saw saw much white cabinetry until I moved to Houston). At least the shower surround and vanity top have been upgraded from the standard white cultured marble. But at that price point, I think the cabinets could have used an upgrade too.
I hear ya. I like stained cabinets too. That being said, stain color and wood species are very taste subjective and I'm playing a numbers game.flipperps. cultured marble? barf!

My house (circa 1958) has the same paneling in the den and kitchen this one did. Is it considered a desirable, fashionably retro design element? Or just old? I can't stand mine and would love to replace it all with sheetrock that could be painted. I've seen nicer old wall paneling with thicker grooves that i could see people appreciating. Mine just looks like orangey pine board.

I'd hate to get rid of details that a future buyer might consider "classic" but i'd really prefer something like what flipper's done here. It looks really great.

Don't get me started on my aqua kitchen tile, either! :wacko:

hi flipper, good job! how much did you invest in doing that re-model?also, are you feeling the affects of the "housing economy" I figured due to all these foreclosures and what not that there wouldn't be many buyers.
~90k including carry costs.The foreclosures are largely sub-prime loans. We've yet to sell a house to a sub-prime buyer. No slow downs in the neighborhoods we work in :crosses fingers: :)flipper
My house (circa 1958) has the same paneling in the den and kitchen this one did. Is it considered a desirable, fashionably retro design element? Or just old? I can't stand mine and would love to replace it all with sheetrock that could be painted. I've seen nicer old wall paneling with thicker grooves that i could see people appreciating. Mine just looks like orangey pine board.I'd hate to get rid of details that a future buyer might consider "classic" but i'd really prefer something like what flipper's done here. It looks really great.Don't get me started on my aqua kitchen tile, either! :wacko:
I don't consider any panelling that comes in a 4x8 sheet architecturally significant. I do like a lot of the old tounge in groove vertical panelling though. Trash that stuff!

flipper,

paging danax.. :)

• 1 month later...

Archived