How do they do this?

Fellow remodelers, builders and handy people...

I'm used to doing traditional showers by framing out the thresholds with lumber and wrapping them with the shower pan etc...

Any idea how you can get this look and still pass code?

005sm.jpg

flipper

there are a few mentions of them related to accessible/universal design (like in this HGTV article, or SFgate)...but i like the look of a no-threshold shower in general.

but yeah, like musicman said...rebuilt foundation/floor

the picture posted, though, looks a little different from what i was thinking when i first read it

the ones i've seen are all done in concrete foundations. i would think a liner wouldn't be required.

The COH has always required me to have a liner, even on slab foundations.

Maybe you have to shower pan the entire bathroom and then float it all.

flipper

This Link suggests that a no-threshold shower can be done if the floor is sloped at least 2 inches to the floor drain (scroll to custom or pre-fab). Elsewhere in the article, it says a liner is required for wood frame or slab, so the question still remains.

It would seem to me that you could pour a slab with a recessed shower area, install the liner in the recess, then float the shower floor. I don't know if 2 inches meets COH code though. My plumber insisted on a 3 inch threshold.

This Link suggests that a no-threshold shower can be done if the floor is sloped at least 2 inches to the floor drain (scroll to custom or pre-fab). Elsewhere in the article, it says a liner is required for wood frame or slab, so the question still remains.

It would seem to me that you could pour a slab with a recessed shower area, install the liner in the recess, then float the shower floor. I don't know if 2 inches meets COH code though. My plumber insisted on a 3 inch threshold.

These 1950's houses we do always have a layer of portland cement between the tile floor and the slab that we end up breaking out. That would give us a good opportunity to do whatever we want with the shower and the rest of the floor since we always "re-float" it anyway. If I can just figure out what the city would want for a liner... Time to call the inspector.

flipper

The COH has always required me to have a liner, even on slab foundations.

Maybe you have to shower pan the entire bathroom and then float it all.

flipper

the liner is a cheaper way to do it now particularly after the fact. the ones i'm talking about have the foundation poured (and designed) to support shower/bathroom.

I've done one after the slab was poured.

It was fairly simple. There was a very slight slope floated with mortar to the drain and then a shower liner installed that basically covered the entire bathroom.

I'll be doing this in my bathroom soon.

Archived