Third Church Of Christ, Scientist/The Parador Mansion At 2021 Binz St.

Vertigo58

The Parador is one of the last remaining examples of the Mediterranean Byzantine style so popular in the 1920's.

Built in 1928. I often wondered what this place was like inside. Its great! You really go back in time to the days of ballroom music and dancing. If ever around Almeda and Binz check this place out. It can accomodate a big crowd. This place has class, in every sense of the word.

http://www.paradorhouston.com/history.html

http://www.brides.com/upload/images/p/a/paradorhouston@aol.com/00_main/parador_320_primary.jpg

• Like 1

The Parador is one of the last remaining examples of the Mediterranean Byzantine style so popular in the 1920's.

Built in 1928. I often wondered what this place was like inside. Its great! You really go back in time to the days of ballroom music and dancing. If ever around Almeda and Binz check this place out. It can accomodate a big crowd. This place has class, in every sense of the word.

http://www.paradorhouston.com/history.html

parador_320_primary.jpg

I'd seen it in passing but never knew that it was original 1920s with so much Med-revival around lately.

And I see that it's been designated a Texas Historical Landmark, which sounds protective but apparently only causes an owner to have to wait 6 months before demolishing it......and unfortunately its location would be seem to portend a "higher and better use" in the near future........

The Almeda corridor has several other 1920s-30s structures that could form a funky, historic foundation for the redevelopment of that section of town...........but a complete erasure is much more likely.

They really seem to keep it up. It doesn't look like it was built that long ago.

What makes it seem more up to date is the "Parador" sign as you drive in and the current foliage. I can only urge people to stop and walk up and maybe you can go inside. Once inside you go back in time. It's perfect for weddings, Gala's, etc.

Great location too, just about one block from 59/288 split.

Yah, I've been driving past that intersection for about seventeen years now. The building had gotten pretty shabby when it was the Third Church of Christ, Scientist. Nice to see it improved, though I'm not sure there's really enough parking for major events there. I remember watching the Turnverein's decline and eventual demo, too. Yes, there are some interesting old buildings on Almeda Road. It's well worth a drive down.

Yah, I've been driving past that intersection for about seventeen years now. The building had gotten pretty shabby when it was the Third Church of Christ, Scientist. Nice to see it improved, though I'm not sure there's really enough parking for major events there. I remember watching the Turnverein's decline and eventual demo, too. Yes, there are some interesting old buildings on Almeda Road. It's well worth a drive down.

We were allowed to park across the street. Management has agreements with neighboring business's. :P and yes, there was plenty of security.

hotel parador

The title of this post caught my eye. This was the name of one of the hotel I stayed at in Costa Rica. Same type of achitecture, beautiful place.

Guess I could have looked up to see what parador means. I imagine it could be assoiated with a villa or Mediterannean palazzo kind of place. (Wish I were there, same hotel, views,etc)

I live down the street from the Parador. Unfortunately I'm not rich or important enough to attend any of the 'gala events' frequently going down there, but I have admired it from afar for years. One can easily imagine that, during the era it was built, Alameda was lined with Mediterranean style buildings like this. Needless to say, nearly all are gone now.

The only downside is the other three sides of the intersection are incredibly depressing (a gas station that's been boarded up for years, a stove warehouse that's been closed forever, and a loan shark/check cashing joint. Talk about destroying the ambiance of the Parador. I just can't believe some real estate visionary can't jump in and make better use of all three blocks.

I live down the street from the Parador. Unfortunately I'm not rich or important enough to attend any of the 'gala events' frequently going down there, but I have admired it from afar for years. One can easily imagine that, during the era it was built, Alameda was lined with Mediterranean style buildings like this. Needless to say, nearly all are gone now.

The only downside is the other three sides of the intersection are incredibly depressing (a gas station that's been boarded up for years, a stove warehouse that's been closed forever, and a loan shark/check cashing joint. Talk about destroying the ambiance of the Parador. I just can't believe some real estate visionary can't jump in and make better use of all three blocks.

Good point DonJ.

The only notable landmark buildings that come to mind that are considered somewhat historical is the old KCOH? radio station building on the corner of Almeda and then that once very popular Mexican restaurant further down. Other than that the older stores and gas stations are being plowed down for apartment or townhome-mania.

I'm sure your kidding, but trust me one does not have to be $$$ to visit The Parador. One day when there is a wedding or something going on just dress up a bit, invite a friend and just stroll in like you own the joint. Act casual, mingle, etc. You know what to do from there on. :lol:

Just joking of course

Edited by Vertigo58

• The title was changed to The Parador Mansion At 2021 Binz St.
  • The title was changed to Third Church Of Christ, Scientist/The Parador Mansion At 2021 Binz St.