There may be hope for KHOU after all

editor

KHOU's owner, the Belo Corporation in Dallas is going to split its newspapers and TV stations into separate companies.

It's probably the best thing that's happened to KHOU and the other TV stations (except WFAA and TXCN) in a long time. That whole company was run wrong. It was run a newspaper company by old men who seemed to think that TV is a passing fad and that any day now millions of people are going to run right out and start buying newspapers again.

As much as I dislike KHOU's sloppy journalism and what it did to this web site, I think this is a good thing.

Trivia: At one time Belo owned the Galveston County News, which makes it the oldest company in Texas.

So, what will happen with KHOU? Will CBS own the station?

KHOU will continue to be owned by Belo. The newspapers will end up in another company called A.H. Belo.

CBS cannot buy KHOU. CBS is already at the maximum number of stations it can own.

Here's what Belo currently owns:

Television

WFAA-TV (ABC) Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas

KCWX-TV (CW) San Antonio, Texas --LMA

KHOU-TV (CBS) Houston, Texas

KVUE-TV (ABC) Austin, Texas

KENS-TV (CBS) San Antonio, Texas

KTVK-TV (Ind.) Phoenix, Arizona

KMSB-TV (FOX) Tucson, Arizona

KASW-TV (CW) Phoenix, Arizona

KTTU-TV (MyNetworkTV) Tucson, Arizona

KING-TV (NBC) Seattle/Tacoma, Washington

KREM-TV (CBS) Spokane, Washington

KONG-TV (Ind.) Seattle/Tacoma, Washington

KSKN-TV (CW) Spokane, Washington

KGW-TV (NBC) Portland, Oregon

KTVB-TV (NBC) Boise, Idaho

KMOV-TV (CBS) St. Louis, Missouri

WWL-TV (CBS) New Orleans, Louisiana

WHAS-TV (ABC) Louisville, Kentucky

WCNC-TV (NBC) Charlotte, North Carolina

WUPL-TV (MyNetwork TV) New Orleans, Louisiana

WVEC-TV (ABC) Hampton/Norfolk, Virginia

Television News

Texas Cable News

maybe they'll increase the clothes allowance for lucy noland. the boots she wore on camera last week were right out of a dominatrix movie.

I don't think they give the talent clothing allowances anymore. That went away at most stations years ago. If they do, it's probably just Greg Hurst.

I don't think they give the talent clothing allowances anymore. That went away at most stations years ago.

Clothing allowances date back to when TV anchors' salaries were still down here in the lower atmosphere, before they went into outer space. Nowadays, few major market stations provide them and the anchors actually prefer it that way.

Houston TV anchors earn well into six figures -- seven figures in NYC, Chicago and LA -- and paying for their own working wardrobes allows them to claim the costs as tax deductible business expenses. Every little bit helps when April 15th is bearing down on you.

It's also common for TV stations in small and middle markets to work advertising trade-outs with local clothing stores to provide wardrobes for the on-camera types. Free commercials in return for free clothes.

You know that's what they're doing when you see it in the newscast closing credits. "Wardrobes by (fill in the blank)"

Lucy's not showing the cleavage she did when she first started here. Viewers must have complained. My son's not happy with the change.

At least the PTC did not come knocking down on KHOU's doors...because they would have started campaigning to have all newscasts (local and national) rated TV-MA.

?

Plagiarism. KHOU tries to use content from this web site verbatim without attribution, compensation, or credit. It's why I've had to block all belo.com, khou.com, and projo.com connections to HAIF.

They've called a couple of times and asked permission to use stuff and I keep saying "no." Eventually I guess they decided to stop calling because now they just steal stuff.

I've caught it at least once and complained both in letters and telephone calls, but all I've ever gotten is a phone call from someone calling himself the "internet sales exec" who says he'll refer it to the Belo legal department, but they never get back to me.

So if you have a web site that contains content about Houston I recommend blocking connections from KHOU because they'll cut-and-paste your work into their web site and then blow you off when you tell them that it's both ethnically wrong and a violation of copyright law.

Houston TV anchors earn well into six figures -- seven figures in NYC, Chicago and LA -- and paying for their own working wardrobes allows them to claim the costs as tax deductible business expenses. Every little bit helps when April 15th is bearing down on you.

This is a major reason why news quality on TV has declined over the past 10-15 years. The local news is supposed to be about local events and people who the viewer can identify with. At well into 6 figures the anchor has completely lost touch with reality and can tell you about a murder sucide with a smile on the face cause they will go back to their mega buck gated community at the end of the day and not have a care in the world.

The only anchor I think is professional and of good quality on KHOU is Len Cannon. That guy stays on topic most of the time and does not do the adding of stupid jokes and comments. Noland was brought in just to get a woman on the show after Lisa Foronda left. I think of her as Sachse-lite; a complete phoney and just in it for the money/fame. Hurst is also a horrible choice to have as the lead anchor on KHOU. I would have liked to seen someone like Dan Lauck (now gone cause of medical reasons) rise to the top at KHOU. The lead anchor should be someone who has been at the station for a long time and worked their way to the top.

Anyone know what the deal is on Angela Kocherta on KHOU? She does all of the stories involving Mexico and Texas; stuff like the trucking changes and immigration stuff. Her reports are sporadic at best so I suppose she is just under contract and not a regular employee.

I still have to say as I have many times in the past...best anchor ever at KHOU was Steve Smith and best reporter was Janet Shamlian. Both were real people and what you see is what you got with them; oh and very professional as well.

Just look at this KHOU footage from about 1994. Notice how it looks like it was made from someone who is capable of processing information and understanding a story as it is told. These days reporting is like blabbing gossip. Oh, on a side note, I remember Claire Casademont as a much more attractive woman than in the clip. She looks kind of mean looking and I would hate to be someone who was on her bad side.

Anyone know what the deal is on Angela Kocherta on KHOU? She does all of the stories involving Mexico and Texas; stuff like the trucking changes and immigration stuff. Her reports are sporadic at best so I suppose she is just under contract and not a regular employee.

Angela Kocherga is Belo's Mexico City-based reporter. She primarily reports for all four Belo stations in Texas and occassionally does some things for all of Belo's stations. She's also sort of the Texas on-call reporter for major events like hurricanes...she was here to help out during the Super Bowl, too.

Angela Kocherga is Belo's Mexico City-based reporter. She primarily reports for all four Belo stations in Texas and occassionally does some things for all of Belo's stations. She's also sort of the Texas on-call reporter for major events like hurricanes...she was here to help out during the Super Bowl, too.

I like Angela Kocherga's reports from Mexico. I don't know if she is Hispanic or not, but she does speak fluent Spanish, which just increases her credibility.

Plus, the quality and depth of her reporting shows that she clearly knows what is going on in Mexico and knows how to report it to American TV audiences. She's a major plus for Belo and KHOU.

If Belo isn't careful, one of the networks is going to hire her away as a foreign correspondent to Mexico and/or Central and South America.

I think she's actually from Mexico, and not someone sent down from Belo HQ in Dallas, but I could be wrong.

My understanding is that she works hard under very trying circumstances. Being a reporter in Mexico is no easy task. Good luck getting any tape out of there. It's not like in the States where you can drive or Greyhound the tape to the nearest uplink or VYVX point. Public facilities for satellite transmission barely exist. And where they do, they often don't work or the price is inflated 30-50x when they find out you work for an American company. Most American TV companies just FedEx the tapes out. It's the most reliable way.

I don't think I know a single American reporter who hasn't been hassled in Mexico. I've had reporters detained at the border and at random "checkpoints" by police until they paid a bribe. More than once, I've had cameras and other equipment seized by police and Federales even though the people had letters from the Mexican consul general in the States telling them to let my people and their equipment pass. The locals don't care -- they do what they want. I once had a staffer sit in a Yucatan jail for five days because he didn't have the money to pay a bribe.

If you're ever in that situation -- pay the bribe and then put it on your expense report as "airport tax." Personally, I've only ever had to bribe a border guard once, and that was in Thailand. But you better believe I put it on the expense report.

With the amount of money wasted on all the corruption and lawyers and diplomats involved in doing one or two reports from Mexico a year, an American TV station could hire another reporter, or buy an extra camera.

looks like 11 is about to do a story on how HPD officers double dip....didn't wayne dolcefino just do the story during the may sweeps? :wacko:

Could it be the "shell game" that Dolcefino did because of ambulances going elsewhere when something happens in their home turfs?

Could it be the "shell game" that Dolcefino did because of ambulances going elsewhere when something happens in their home turfs?

no. that was another story he did. this one is how HPD officers are double dipping. it was wayne's story that caused the change in policy. what is odd is that ch 2 is also doing this same expose now.

no. that was another story he did. this one is how HPD officers are double dipping. it was wayne's story that caused the change in policy. what is odd is that ch 2 is also doing this same expose now.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if everyone did a story on double dipping, because HPD apparently is being mismanaged under the current chief. Remember the sanctuary law controversy that resulted from the shooting death of an HPD officer?

I don't think they give the talent clothing allowances anymore. That went away at most stations years ago. If they do, it's probably just Greg Hurst.

I've noticed that clothing stores will still routinely supply the outfits for a commercial (listing) consideration in the credits.

Archived