Color Tile Stores

Vertigo58

Used to see these tile stores all over Houston.

There was one at 45 South @ Telephone Road for years. The building is still there and the funny little colored block letters that stood at different tilted angles on top of the building are there but have been painted over shortly after it closed. Just wondered if anyone knew the history of this company and when they finally went out of business or just left town? This particular store I mentioned closed about 1985?

Now a ugly cheap business. Needs to be demolished. Would be a fantastic if not ideal spot for a huge Service station ala Race Track gas, etc. Would greatly benefit the beautiful pristine neighborhood. :P

Couldn't find any photos on google sorry.

If you need to feel "nostalgic" there is still one on Newcastle and S.59. Wait, I think it is a Master Tile now, but used to be a Color Tile store.

Here is the NEW look of Color tile in Tulsa, Ok.

colortile.jpg

They are ALL under the Carpets Plus name brand now, and there are a couple of stores here in Houston.

Oh, and good news, there is one open in Katy, on the Grand Parkway close to I-10.

Very abstract.

391546495_16c523019c.jpg

Edited by TJones

Used to see these tile stores all over Houston.

There was one at 45 South @ Telephone Road for years. The building is still there and the funny little colored block letters that stood at different tilted angles on top of the building are there but have been painted over shortly after it closed. Just wondered if anyone knew the history of this company and when they finally went out of business or just left town? This particular store I mentioned closed about 1985?

Now a ugly cheap business. Needs to be demolished. Would be a fantastic if not ideal spot for a huge Service station ala Race Track gas, etc. Would greatly benefit the beautiful pristine neighborhood. :P

Couldn't find any photos on google sorry.

There used to be a Color Tile store on 11th Street in Beaumont. It probably fell victim to big, national home improvment chains like Home Depot and Lowe's.

Color Tile was for the longest time owned by Tandy Corp, parent company of Radio Shack. I think it still is. At least my Yahoo Searches can't find any evidence that it's not still under the corporate umbrella with Radio Shack.

I reckon its true what was mentioned up above is there was just too much competition after the larger hardware stores opened the next decade. Little guy gets snuffed out by big guy. Another page to turn of Houston history.

Color Tile! Ugh.

What's next, reminiscing about how much you miss your Wiener's?

If I was missing my weiner I would be reminiscing about the days when I still had it.

I think there was also a Color Tile near NASA Road 1....that's the one with that distinctive sign I remember most.

Edited by BrewsterMcCloud

• 7 years later...

Color Tile was started about 1954 in Joliet, Illinois by Myron "Mike" Seeberg. My Father, Pete Liebendorfer opened his second store on Court Street in Kankakee Illinois around 1955. Dad then moved our family to Denver Colorado about 1957 to start the expansion of Color Tile. He left the company after a couple years. Mike went on to expand, with Color Tile having over 700 stores at one time. Big Box stores were their demise. Dad passed away in 1986, Mike in 2010.