Casa Di Modena

WestGrayGuy

This is a new midrise residental project going up in Midtown/4th Ward area. Does any one have further information? The sign is up with a rendering, however, I can not find anything on the net about it.

I believe the block is bordered by Wilson, Mathews, O Neil and Webster. The block is somewhat triangular as Webster splits at this block from West Gray. The trees have already been bulldozed to make way for this development.

I think this will be a nice addition to the area.. what does everyone else think?

Edited by WestGrayGuy

This is a new midrise residental project going up in Midtown/4th Ward area. Does any one have further information? The sign is up with a rendering, however, I can not find anything on the net about it.

I believe the block is bordered by Wilson, Mathews, O Neil and Webster. The block is somewhat triangular as Webster splits at this block from West Gray. The trees have already been bulldozed to make way for this development.

I think this will be a nice addition to the area.. what does everyone else think?

I will try and get a picture when I walk my dog tonight. We usually pass by that area every day. I saw the adverts last night, but did not get a good view.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sign is down, building is gone... I'm assuming it's dead for the time being. 1.5 million for that lot too - eeef :) Last I heard, the big issue for midrise buildings in the area was waiting on the city to install an upgraded sewer system, but that would involve tearing up some streets (old ones that still have the original brick under them) on the north side of West Gray. I'm getting all of this 2nd hand from the former owner of my townhouse on West Gray. He was very active in the Midtown area and attended many of the city council meetings, etc... that concerned West Gray, Webster and Bagby. He was one of the people instrumental in getting the Hispanic Beer Joint on the corner of Genessee and West Gray shut down and destroyed. I don't really remember it, but apparently it was a terrible eyesore and constant cause of problems in the area.

Sign is down, building is gone... I'm assuming it's dead for the time being. 1.5 million for that lot too - eeef :) Last I heard, the big issue for midrise buildings in the area was waiting on the city to install an upgraded sewer system, but that would involve tearing up some streets (old ones that still have the original brick under them) on the north side of West Gray. I'm getting all of this 2nd hand from the former owner of my townhouse on West Gray. He was very active in the Midtown area and attended many of the city council meetings, etc... that concerned West Gray, Webster and Bagby. He was one of the people instrumental in getting the Hispanic Beer Joint on the corner of Genessee and West Gray shut down and destroyed. I don't really remember it, but apparently it was a terrible eyesore and constant cause of problems in the area.

I know....damn those Hispanics for wanting to live and have entertainment options there.....didn't they know that gentrification is occurring and they need to leave now that the wealthy whites have moved back into the city? They are not an eyesore when they are building the cheap town homes, but they should certainly know to leave after they get off work....

Edited by nyc_tex

one of the people instrumental in getting the Hispanic Beer Joint on the corner of Genessee and West Gray shut down and destroyed. I don't really remember it, but apparently it was a terrible eyesore and constant cause of problems in the area.

As opposed to The Wet Spot, and the wanna-be bikers.

which, actually, looks like it has the potential to be my kind of place.

Edited by crunchtastic

I'm somewhat familiar with this project. As far as I know, it is not dead. The building is recently gone b/c they are going to be putting up a bigger sales/marketing trailer to get interest stirring. I think they are getting final numbers for their construction costs and are trying to get their financing in place (will probably have some pre-sale condition). I like this project and hope everything comes together and depending on the price point, it should be a very cool project for young professionals that want to live in Midtown.

Glad no one took any of the comments about the bar the wrong way... ;) I don't care if they have a bar right there (I could stumble home easier). I do care if they have music blaring till 4 am. The guys that live in the row houses across the street on Genesse from me are all very nice and very respectful of everyone in the area (and it looks like they throw one hell of a party - need to get an invite some day). Across West Gray... now that's another story. At least most of the drug traffic stays on that side of the road and HPD is constantly in the area. Not to mention the constant drove of ambulances and fire trucks that head over their every night. At least I know the medical personel will know what area I am in if I ever have a problem ;) But alas, it is what it is...

As for Casa Di Modena, I'm glad it is still going forward. I thought they might be stalling with some of the recent economic concerns. I know Post has been waiting to break ground on Post 3 in the area until most of the new Apartments at Camden were filled (not sure how well their doing because I haven't looked).

Glad no one took any of the comments about the bar the wrong way... ;) I don't care if they have a bar right there (I could stumble home easier). I do care if they have music blaring till 4 am. The guys that live in the row houses across the street on Genesse from me are all very nice and very respectful of everyone in the area (and it looks like they throw one hell of a party - need to get an invite some day). Across West Gray... now that's another story. At least most of the drug traffic stays on that side of the road and HPD is constantly in the area. Not to mention the constant drove of ambulances and fire trucks that head over their every night. At least I know the medical personel will know what area I am in if I ever have a problem ;) But alas, it is what it is...

As for Casa Di Modena, I'm glad it is still going forward. I thought they might be stalling with some of the recent economic concerns. I know Post has been waiting to break ground on Post 3 in the area until most of the new Apartments at Camden were filled (not sure how well their doing because I haven't looked).

Where is Post 3 supposed to go? Is it a part of Midtown Square?

• 2 weeks later...
Where is Post 3 supposed to go? Is it a part of Midtown Square?

My understanding, from talking to the an owner in the area (3rd person as it is ;) ), is that Post 3 will be going on the triangle shaped land between West Gray and Webster from the point they split up to the current Post Apartments. The rumblings I had heard was that they were waiting for the other new apartments to be completed and full before they broke ground. Who knows, I keep seeing some action around the property, so maybe they will bite the bullet anyway. I think everyone is waiting to see if the economy slumps in Houston too, althought I doubt that will happen as long as we have energy companies (but who knows). The interesting part, at least to me, about the property for Post 3 is that the lady who owns the white house at the corner of West Gray and Valentine (street names?) has refused to sell. I've heard whispers from a few developers that the offer was 1.7 million and she turned it down. I believe she is a member of the church across the street, is elderly and grew up there so she does not want to move. More power to her, I just hope her kids don't abuse the money they will inherit from it. The only bad part for her is that the land is going to be land-locked after Post 3 builds (heard they designed around it) and the property value goes down.

• The title was changed to Casa Di Modena