Bar Alternatives, Places to Study/Read

I think I want to go on a break from the Houston bar scene for a bit...

Does anyone have any suggestions of coffee shops that are open late on Friday/Saturday with free WiFi where its a good place to read or study a little? I don't want to give up complete socialization, but even being able to people watch a bit would be fun.

In fact, where are some good places to study in Houston. I know this seems lame, but I'm pretty new to Houston and having a tough time, and well, I've been spending too much time in bars - I need to refocus a bit...

Tea House on Wesheimer and Shepheard or Tropioca on Milam in midtown are cool places to study with free wifi and bubble tea!

I like Cafe Artiste near the Menil and UST campus as well... good coffee and free wifi.

Agora on Westheimer is open late (2am i think), and has wi-fi. Brasil (across Westheimer) is open late, too, and sometimes you can get Agora's signal there.

there's also Diedrich on Montrose near West Alabama, but i don't think they are open as late as the others.

Tea House on Wesheimer and Shepheard or Tropioca on Milam in midtown are cool places to study with free wifi and bubble tea!

I like Cafe Artiste near the Menil and UST campus as well... good coffee and free wifi.

Good call on Tropioca. Great coffee there. I also like the Vietnamese place next door.

• 1 month later...

The Bookstop (former Alabama Theater) upstairs is the small coffee area. Its very serene with a few other readers at hand.

I always liked sitting on a bench in front of City Hall at lunch. Try to sit away from the tree branches. The birds love to drop bombs over head. :D

• 8 months later...

Old thread; needs new blood!

Not on weekends, but the Caroline Collective in the Museum District is a great place to work/study on weekdays. It's the only co-sourcing venue in Houston -- meaning that its primary purpose for existence is to provide a place where people can come to work and study in a non-traditional yet professional environment. And they have coffee.

It's free to just drop by a few times and snag a desk and some free wi-fi, but start coming on a regular basis and you'll have to pay dues to keep the lights on and all that.

Another random spot (that I enjoy) is Memorial City Mall. Their huge fireplace with cozy, lodge-type seating by the ice rink is an awesome spot to get some work done or just check email with their free wi-fi, especially in the mornings when it's still quiet.

Antidote on Studewood in the Heights is open until midnight, and they have wi-fi. Inside seating is strictly utilitarian 50's/60's style furniture with plenty of tables. They have a nice little courtyard off to the side too. They also serve beer and wine. It's very popular, though, so I don't know how much intense studying you can get done in the evenings.

I never even considered the fireplace area at Memorial City as a study spot, but that makes sense! I do need to wonder, however, who the management thinks they're fooling by having the flames on in the summer. It's 96 degrees outside! Ice rink or not, we know it's not a ski lodge.

Is history. They closed their doors a month or so ago... Try Agora...

I recommend the concrete steps below the old railroad bridge near the University of Houston-Downtown on the north bank of the bayou. Very clean. Very quiet. Very private. Just you and the snapping turtles. I used to go there to read the newspaper on Sunday mornings.

Who can study outside in this heat? I would be dripping all over my books...

Too bad the Central Library has such crap hours (open til 6 on Fri/Sat, 5 on Sun)... I have been thinking about studying there lately, although parking is an issue.

Who can study outside in this heat? I would be dripping all over my books...

Too bad the Central Library has such crap hours (open til 6 on Fri/Sat, 5 on Sun)... I have been thinking about studying there lately, although parking is an issue.

yeah but they close till 9 on Mon-Thurs ;)

Archived