Renovation suggestions

Akela

I bought a house in Westbury (zip code 77096) a year ago. The house is a bit of a fixer-upper and I've already put $15,000 into it, including new carpet, appliances, drywall, doors and hardwood floors. The areas that still need improvement are:

vinyl replacement windows ($7,000) -- have ugly insecure aluminum ones now, and they are not energy efficient

the driveway (it's really uneven because of tree roots; $2,000?)

new paint -- the old color is quite ugly ($2,500)

garage doors -- really old ($?)

the electric box ($2,000)

My budget is not large, and if I go for the windows there's nothing else I can do for a year or so. I'm really tempted to do the windows first, not only because of the energy efficiency, but also because of noise concerns. Another consideration is that I might need to relocate in a couple of years, so it's partly the question of which renovations would have the most impact on the resale value of the house.

So how would you proceed if you were in my shoes?

Thanks a lot for your attention,

Akela

Edited by Akela

I bought a house in Westbury (zip code 77096) a year ago. The house is a bit of a fixer-upper and I've already put $15,000 into it, including new carpet, appliances, drywall, doors and hardwood floors. The areas that still need improvement are:

vinyl replacement windows ($7,000) -- have ugly insecure aluminum ones now, and they are not energy efficient

My budget is not large, and if I go for the windows there's nothing else I can do for a year or so. I'm really tempted to do the windows first, not only because of the energy efficiency, but also because of noise concerns. Another consideration is that I might need to relocate in a couple of years, so it's partly the question of which renovations would have the most impact on the resale value of the house.

So how would you proceed if you were in my shoes?

Thanks a lot for your attention,

Akela

I would not change out the aluminum windows, which are likely original equipment, especially for cheesy vinyl ones, and for $7K? You'll never save enough energy to pay for that outlay and the noise improvement.....I have no idea but there's still no way I'd change the windows. I would also consider that some discerning buyers would bolt at the sight of a Westbury ranch with vinyl windows. That's almost as bad as covering the hardwoods in ceramic tile to some. If you insist on noise reduction, try to upgrade the weatherstripping or perhaps install storm windows.

My overall approach would be to do no harm and enhance the original features, which I realize is generally a minority opinion. I'm sure you realize that that era house already has a legion of fans and, even the plain-jane ranches are being sought out by semi-preservationists. That $7K might cost you that plus a lower sales price/longer time to sell.

And in the same vein, an old set of garage doors might also be worth saving unless they're beyond repair, especially if they've got the upper glass panes and perhaps a classic latch.

Upgrade the electical first. Then paint, then the garge door. A house who's "underwear" is in good shape will always promote buyer confidence.

I agree with the windows. We had those old metal ones on our Tanglewood ranch and have some on our current Memorial one too. You can always recaulk and do some glazing on the outside. Only replace them if you can do high quality windows.

the electrical box replacement prices seems high.

when you say you did drywall work what do you mean?

did you rip out the sheetrock? or just patch?

I'd do the paint (just be sure to choose colors wisely)

Then the driveway

Then the garage doors, assuming they're rotten and beyond repair, or those ugly steel fake raised panel doors...those are so hideous on a ranch

What's wrong with the electric box?

You'll never see the $$ back on the windows.

Replacing windows with the ones with the big vinyl white border is really tacky. It will only serve to detract from the appearance of the house.

You should be able to do the service panel for about $1,800. Try Mike Budno, he lives in Westbury, Budno Electric, msbudno@houston.rr.com

Any pics of your current garage doors?

Vinyl windows are available in different colors and are enormously more energy efficient than the original windows on that home. Not to mention, they are more likely to withstand storms. That said, they wouldn't be my first choice. The price also seems a bit high. What brand are you having bid on? How many windows? If windows are something you really want to do, I can get a quote done for you by my vendors.

I would do paint #1. Nothing ads curb appeal to a home like landscaping and paint. Be wise with color choice though (as previously mentioned).

Replacing the electrical box without rewiring the house is really putting a band aid on an axe wound. Unless there is a SPECIFIC problem in the box, leave it alone. Fixing the box will not affect your resale value at all.

Spending money in bathrooms and kitchens as well as the exterior is what will make you money.

It is the frame/casing that is made out of vinyl, not the glass.

Okay I see, I have seen the Red Green type do it your self jobs in the past, A Red tail hawk tried to catch a small bird on my window in the past and busted the window , my dad said you need too move around in there every now and then. :lol::lol::lol:

Thank you all so much for the replies and suggestions! I didn't realize that so many people considered vinyl replacement windows to be tacky -- not a Houstonian, I thought they looked rather neat! The reason why I'm considering replacing the old ones are that over 40 years old, they are single-paned and extremely energy inefficient. The foundation has shifted so there are cracks between the house and the frame in a couple of places, some window panes are cracked and there's what looks like a bullet hole (but probably just a rock chip) in one of them. But you're right, it's a huge outlay of money.

Gwilson: nothing much is wrong with the electric box per se, but the house inspector recommended that it should be replaced eventually. And thanks for offering to recommend some cheaper window dealers, I'd appreciate any suggestions. The $7,000 quote was from Patrick Kingsbury; the ones from Home Depot and Sears came in much higher. Do you say you wouldn't go for vinyl windows? Would your first choice be aluminum windows then?

The garage doors are decrepit but work fine, except that there's no garage door opener. I don't have the name of the company who did the garage doors; is it possible to get a generic one?

From your analysis, it looks like I should leave the electric and the garage doors alone for now and focus on painting, fixing the driveway and doing the landscaping.

One thing about the house that I really regret not noticing is its considerable foundation tilt (3.5 inches.) Foundation was repaired three years ago with a lifetime warranty, but the tilt isn't going anywhere :) Oh well.

Akela

Thank you all so much for the replies and suggestions! I didn't realize that so many people considered vinyl replacement windows to be tacky -- not a Houstonian, I thought they looked rather neat! The reason why I'm considering replacing the old ones are that over 40 years old, they are single-paned and extremely energy inefficient. The foundation has shifted so there are cracks between the house and the frame in a couple of places, some window panes are cracked and there's what looks like a bullet hole (but probably just a rock chip) in one of them. But you're right, it's a huge outlay of money.

Gwilson: nothing much is wrong with the electric box per se, but the house inspector recommended that it should be replaced eventually. And thanks for offering to recommend some cheaper window dealers, I'd appreciate any suggestions. The $7,000 quote was from Patrick Kingsbury; the ones from Home Depot and Sears came in much higher. Do you say you wouldn't go for vinyl windows? Would your first choice be aluminum windows then?

The garage doors are decrepit but work fine, except that there's no garage door opener. I don't have the name of the company who did the garage doors; is it possible to get a generic one?

From your analysis, it looks like I should leave the electric and the garage doors alone for now and focus on painting, fixing the driveway and doing the landscaping.

One thing about the house that I really regret not noticing is its considerable foundation tilt (3.5 inches.) Foundation was repaired three years ago with a lifetime warranty, but the tilt isn't going anywhere :) Oh well.

Akela

If you can fax me the bids from all the vendors that bid the windows, I can pass it off to my vendors and get some numbers from them. You can PM me and I'll forward you my fax number.

I would always go with aluminum over vinyl if there is a budget for that, but they aren't required. The "tacky" factor of vinyl windows is because people don't get colored frames. I've put vinyl in multi-million dollar homes (custom wood and aluminum are the normal route but these were requested by the owner and they looked fine and perform fine).