University of Houston Cougar Mascot Mugged In Oregon

Retama

When the UH football team traveled to Oregon for the season opener, the Cougar mascot was beaten up by the Oregon mascot.

You can see it here at YouTube:

Now the news says the OU Duck has been suspended for a game as a result of this.

Weird.

Real classy Oregon.

The UH student in the Shasta outfit is a male.

I agree that Donald Duck made Shasta look like a pansy, but imagine the outcry if Shasta had actually fought back.

I'm most disappointed that Houston media outlets (like the Houston Chronicle and Channel 13) are reporting that Shasta was attacked because he "mimicked" Oregon's tradition of doing pushups for every point scored. HELLO! THAT'S BEEN A UH TRADITION FOR DECADES!!! As usual, local coverage of UH athletics sucks (with the exception of Mark Berman and the Chron's Michael Murphy).

<br />The UH student in the Shasta outfit is a male.<br /><br />I agree that Donald Duck made Shasta look like a pansy, but imagine the outcry if Shasta had actually fought back. <br /><br />I'm most disappointed that Houston media outlets (like the Houston Chronicle and Channel 13) are reporting that Shasta was attacked because he "mimicked" Oregon's tradition of doing pushups for every point scored. HELLO! THAT'S BEEN A UH TRADITION FOR DECADES!!! As usual, local coverage of UH athletics sucks (with the exception of Mark Berman and the Chron's Michael Murphy).<br /><br /><br />

put down the doobie and clean your ears. ch.13 and ch.26 never made such a claim.

put down the doobie and clean your ears. ch.13 and ch.26 never made such a claim.

Put in some Visine to clear up your eyes!

First, I said the Chron and Ch. 13, not Ch. 26. Mark Berman actually interviewed the UH mascot last night...Berman NEVER gets UH stories wrong.

Here's a direct quote from the Chronicle's story: "Apparently, the Duck became upset when the Cougar imitated one of the Duck's trademarks, pushups for total points after each touchdown in front of the student section." (http://chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headline/sports/5134236.html)

Channel 13: "Apparently the duck became upset when the cougar imitated one of the duck's trademarks -- push-ups for total points after each touchdown." http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=...&id=5655703

I heard Gina Gaston say it last night with my own two (non-doobie affected) ears.

Both the Chronicle and Ch. 13 used nearly the exact same lanquage...which just happens to be exactly the same as the AP story! Great journalism there!

I guess it must have been more serious for people watching it on the field becuz from the video that you just posted, it didn't seem bad at all. Looked more like a little physical horseplay, but i wasn't down there that closeup. If you notice the part where the UH cheerleaders were kinda laughing when the two first got into it, then they pushed the Duck away.

• The title was changed to University of Houston Cougar Mascot Mugged In Oregon

Archived