Windows installation in brick wall

If I end up purchasing a home I am currently negotiating then one of our first priorities would be to get more natural light into living room by installing new windows. I was thinking a long and thin ones along the ceiling and/or one larger "regular one". I am complete newbie in home renovation and have been living in apartment for my whole life. So here are the questions:

1) How expensive it to install a new window - i am talking about installation and masonic word? I saw the prices in Home depot... Does the price include engineering surrvey?

2) Any design software or tool to help me plan where would be the best to put it esthetically or how much would it be to hire someone for that?

3) Any company recommendations? We are on a budget so don't want to pay arm and leg.

Thx!

1) How expensive it to install a new window - i am talking about installation and masonic word? I saw the prices in Home depot... Does the price include engineering surrvey?

home depot doesn't do engineering surveys. price can vary immensely just depending on what windows you choose. other factors would include how much framing needs to be done. with the thin windows you mention, i can see some type of structural work needed to shore up the header over the window. if the exterior is brick then you'd also need to hire a brickmason as well.

2) Any design software or tool to help me plan where would be the best to put it esthetically or how much would it be to hire someone for that?

aesthetics and where you actually need it may conflict. if you need light in a certain area, then put the window there. remember to think about where the sun is at different times. sometimes adding a window will also cause the room to be hotter.

3) Any company recommendations? We are on a budget so don't want to pay arm and leg.

Thx!

what type of budget are you talking?

home depot doesn't do engineering surveys. price can vary immensely just depending on what windows you choose. other factors would include how much framing needs to be done. with the thin windows you mention, i can see some type of structural work needed to shore up the header over the window. if the exterior is brick then you'd also need to hire a brickmason as well.

aesthetics and where you actually need it may conflict. if you need light in a certain area, then put the window there. remember to think about where the sun is at different times. sometimes adding a window will also cause the room to be hotter.

what type of budget are you talking?

I know that HD does not do survey I was asking if typical constuctor I would hire will.I was just planning to get "the parts" fro HD since they have reasobaly good prices for windows. So I was looking for the reasonable price I am expecting to pay for survey, installation and masonic work. I was looking for what savy but reasonable budget for this project will be.

I know that HD does not do survey I was asking if typical constuctor I would hire will.I was just planning to get "the parts" fro HD since they have reasobaly good prices for windows. So I was looking for the reasonable price I am expecting to pay for survey, installation and masonic work. I was looking for what savy but reasonable budget for this project will be.

IMO there are just too many IFs to provide a number. you may have to move electrical/plumbing beyond the things i mentioned earlier. so what is a reasonable budget to you?

If I end up purchasing a home I am currently negotiating then one of our first priorities would be to get more natural light into living room by installing new windows. I was thinking a long and thin ones along the ceiling and/or one larger "regular one". I am complete newbie in home renovation and have been living in apartment for my whole life. So here are the questions:1) How expensive it to install a new window - i am talking about installation and masonic word? I saw the prices in Home depot... Does the price include engineering surrvey?2) Any design software or tool to help me plan where would be the best to put it esthetically or how much would it be to hire someone for that?3) Any company recommendations? We are on a budget so don't want to pay arm and leg.Thx!
If you're adding windows, and not just replacing the existing ones, then you're going to be looking at a pretty hefty amount of $$. Espescially if the long and thin ones cross several stud bays requring lots of tearing out and replacement of drywall, as well as exotic materials for the headers. You might investigate doing skylights as well, if possible...it might be cheaper than the additional windows.
I would think that you're looking at $1000 at the very minimum for labor only. Most contractors are going to look at the brickwork and think "pain in the ass". If they have to do lots of framing, brickwork, plumbing, electrical, and drywall you could easily exceed $5k.

IMO there are just too many IFs to provide a number. you may have to move electrical/plumbing beyond the things i mentioned earlier. so what is a reasonable budget to you?

I would say about or under $2k per window would be reasonable. Plumbing is not going to be an issue and I think it is possibel to position windows to avoid any electrical work.

Basic window retro fit is easy, even in a brick veneer. I do it all the time. But, let me ask you this, what product and material are you looking at;....wood, clad wood, vinyl, aluminum??

Also, be very leery of the window departments at home depot and lowes. You basically give them the measurements, they order, and if you are wrong, then you bought windows that either dont fit, dont meet code, etc. Stick with a professional that does windows everyday, will meet you onsite, give architectural suggestions, and hold your hand throughout the process.

I do this as my vocation, and would be glad to give you my input.

I really have nothing major to contribute to this, but DO suggest that you think long and hard on this.

Skylights are a good option, but that depends on what kind of roof you have.

If you are planning on installing a completely new window, just be sure to take into consideration the structural differences as far as weight distribution on that wall goes. Last thing you might want is the window collapsing during a major storm.

I'd take the advice someone said about looking at the sun exposure year round as well as other factors so you don't wind up regretting it in a couple of years.

BTW: you do this window, you (or your spouse) are going to want to do the other windows, eventually, as well so they can match so pick a good quality window. If you're going to do it, do it with a quality window.

Yeah, I think we pretty much sure some more windows are needed. Skylight is not an option.

But something like skylight but along the top of the wall might be excellent. However, it will have to cut thru many slabs and may make is cost-prohibitive. In any case is there any good software out there to help with remodeling design. I don't mean engineering aspect rather aesthetic part of it.

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...
Best material is by far clad wood, but it depends on your budget and configurations.

Ok. I've decided that I am doing three 36*24 windows. Now I need a contractor recommendation who can do it all - cut an opening do brick work and install the frames and windows or alternatively really good company to do part of the openings.

Feel free to PM me with referrals.

The second question is which brand of windows to go with. The only "window"in that room is a 8*9 3 panel patio door (original form 1978 I guess). It is single panel glass and looks very energy inefficient. Also the sunscreens on it block most of the light. I am considering to eventually replace it but not now. To match the door - I would have to go with aluminum. Are there any top brands for that? HD sells HR Windows but these are too cheap to be very good. Any experience with these?

Is Andersen really worth their price? What troubles me is that it won't be possible to get a matching patio door thru them. Any other wood-clad brands to consider? I am open to vinyl as well but will be looking for a brand that has variety of colors - I rally don't like white ones.

Ok. I've decided that I am doing three 36*24 windows. Now I need a contractor recommendation who can do it all - cut an opening do brick work and install the frames and windows or alternatively really good company to do part of the openings.

Feel free to PM me with referrals.

The second question is which brand of windows to go with. The only "window"in that room is a 8*9 3 panel patio door (original form 1978 I guess). It is single panel glass and looks very energy inefficient. Also the sunscreens on it block most of the light. I am considering to eventually replace it but not now. To match the door - I would have to go with aluminum. Are there any top brands for that? HD sells HR Windows but these are too cheap to be very good. Any experience with these?

Is Andersen really worth their price? What troubles me is that it won't be possible to get a matching patio door thru them. Any other wood-clad brands to consider? I am open to vinyl as well but will be looking for a brand that has variety of colors - I rally don't like white ones.

We recently did a major update on our 1964-built house and among the many things we did was replace all of the old single-pane cheap aluminum windows with wood-clad Pella windows. It was the most expensive option, by far, but it so far has been worth every penny. The appearance of the windows is great and the energy efficiency and noise reduction has been great, not to mention that we updated the mechanisms on a couple of windows, too. I would recommend spending as much money as you possibly can. Maybe some of the fancy windows with the shades inside would be overkill, but you really do get your money's worth for the quality.

With regards to your OP, in addition to most of the replacements we did, we widened a window and added a new awning window to our master bathroom (a long skinny operating casement monuted horizontally at the top of the wall) - not to mention that I added and moved some windows in a bathroom that I remodeled myself earlier - and it's a fairly straightforward job. Don't let some of these other posters scare you off. So long as your contractor knows what he's doing and installs an adequate/proper header and jack studs for these fenestrations there will be no problem with structural integrity and unless there is a plumbing fixture on either side of the wall (ie a sink inside or a hose spigot outside) it's very very unlikely that you'll have to move any pipes, especially if this is a living room like you say. Same for any wires and those are very easy to move if you have to. Again, if your contractor is any good, none of this will be hard, but it won't come cheap either.

My only caution about this project is that you really really need to consider the archiectural elements of the house, the sunlight, the appearance from the street, etc etc. This will alter the appearance of your home permanently and you need to be totally sure of what you're doing. A good design-build contractor will be very helpful for this and will have a lot of good advice that you might not have thought of.

Be careful buying your windows from HD - I would recommend getting your contractor to do it all turnkey from start to finish. It's tricky to measure windows correctly, for one thing, and since it's a "custom" order HD typically will not give refunds for windows if something ever goes wrong. Besides, your contractor will likely have a relationship with all of the different dealers and can likely get you a better deal on whatever windows you decide want.

I am happy to recommend my contractor, will send you a PM with his info. He actually is pretty good, but he's still a contractor and will play games and overpromise things and try and get more money out of you however he can, just to a lesser degree than the other guys, which is what makes him relatively better. A zebra can't change it's stripes, it can only be tamed, so to speak.

Archived