Historic Houston Lamp Posts

JLWM8609

I always enjoy looking at old photos of Houston, and I notice the small things. In the photos from the 50's and 60's I've seen on HAIF, I see what most would regard as just regular old lamp posts, which apparently at the time the City of Houston had painted either black or dark green. Since the late 50's or early 60's going by photos of new construction during that period, the city has either painted those old lamp posts from black or dark green to silver, or they've been hit and replaced by the now monotonous bare metal finish variants. I've seen a few with their original 1950's colors still straggling along in town. Am I the only one on here to notice that?

• Like 1

When I was a kid we had an old lamp post in out yard with the street numbers of our house on it too. It was painted black. I don't remember it ever working. FYI. this was on Greenstone Dr. near Gulfgate mall. I don't know what the proper name was for our neighborhod. Well. now it's a ghetto. or a bario.

I never notice the large public ones. Are there not some old ones in the musuem district area?

Edited by westguy76

When I was a kid we had an old lamp post in out yard with the street numbers of our house on it too. It was painted black. I don't remember it ever working. FYI. this was on Greenstone Dr. near Gulfgate mall. I don't know what the proper name was for our neighborhod. Well. now it's a ghetto. or a bario.

I never notice the large public ones. Are there not some old ones in the musuem district area?

The name of your neighborhood off of Reveille is Greenway.

• 2 weeks later...

I was trying to search for a better example but this is the best I could find. Houston once had old street lamps that had covers that resembled the hats these guys are holding, except the edges were real wavy or zig-zag like the crust of an apple pie.

When we were kids we used to all sit under the street lamp post, right in front of our old house and tell scary stories at night with other kids living around us. It seeemed even scarier because the lamp post gave me the creeps. Seemed like it was from the 1920's or something. Anyway we did have them until around the mid 60's at least where we lived in NE Houston off Lockwood Dr/Englewood. Then the city finally replaced with the mod 60's hip ones.

michaels-bbshop-quartet.jpg

I was trying to search for a better example but this is the best I could find. Houston once had old street lamps that had covers that resembled the hats these guys are holding, except the edges were real wavy or zig-zag like the crust of an apple pie.

When we were kids we used to all sit under the street lamp post, right in front of our old house and tell scary stories at night with other kids living around us. It seeemed even scarier because the lamp post gave me the creeps. Seemed like it was from the 1920's or something. Anyway we did have them until around the mid 60's at least where we lived in NE Houston off Lockwood Dr/Englewood. Then the city finally replaced with the mod 60's hip ones.

do you mean something sort of like this?

1395.gif

s.end.jpg

• The title was changed to Old Lamp Posts
  • The title was changed to Historic Houston Lamp Posts