Deed Restrictions

OkieEric

So I don't know a darn thing about deed restrictions...but I've recently found out that a surprisingly large number of townhomes is slated to be built on the property next door to mine. My house is ~3' from the property line... I guess my question is, what's the rule for setbacks in Houston? I've seen some places that look to be built almost AT the property line, so just wondering how far away my new neighbors may be...best case scenario would be having a shared drive on my side, lol

Some other townhouses being built down the street have a "NO" on restrictions when I do a permit search. Is there a good resource online to figure this stuff out?

No doubt that the 3-4 stories planned will definitely have a crowding effect...but maybe my electricity bill will go down from being in the shade :)

So I don't know a darn thing about deed restrictions...but I've recently found out that a surprisingly large number of townhomes is slated to be built on the property next door to mine. My house is ~3' from the property line... I guess my question is, what's the rule for setbacks in Houston? I've seen some places that look to be built almost AT the property line, so just wondering how far away my new neighbors may be...best case scenario would be having a shared drive on my side, lol

Some other townhouses being built down the street have a "NO" on restrictions when I do a permit search. Is there a good resource online to figure this stuff out?

No doubt that the 3-4 stories planned will definitely have a crowding effect...but maybe my electricity bill will go down from being in the shade :)

Your title company should've provided you with deed restrictions on your own property when you closed on your house if there were any in place. You might contact them just to double-check.

My house in Eastwood has a three-foot City easement for utilities along the side yard. I can't say that that will be the case in all neighborhoods, though.

there is no set sideback in Houston, it can vary neighborhood to neighborhood.

do you know whether deed restrictions are still in effect?

seeing the NO on the permit application is not always true. i know the city recently granted a permit for a structure to be built 3' from the property line while the deed restricted setback is 10' i.e. the applicant lied. the civic club turned them in and a red tag was given.

if there are no restrictions, i've seen them allow it go out to the property line if there is a fire wall and no water is sent to the adjoining property.

the only sure way to tell if it is restricted is to go to county records on main/preston and look it up. if there are restrictions, even if land is replatted, the restrictions still prevail. i'm thinking you don't if multiple units are going in where there was previously one house.

oh....make SURE and stay on them particularly if runoff enters your property. that is illegal. they must build a swale, etc.

For one thing, deed restrictions and City codes are 2 different things. You can check the deed records at the County to see if deed restrictions are in effect on the property. As for the City, there is often times a 3 foot side setback requirement. However, this requirement is for fire safety. In other words, if the building wall meets fire codes, it can run up to the property line. There are various rules that can come into play, and the only way to find what applies to your situation is to research it. Start with deed records, and move to the City planners.

This is what I had feared... I'll definitely do some digging on the matter, but I can't imagine what restrictions there'd be after seeing some of the stuff in my neighborhood. This has the potential to set up quite an awkard "dead zone" between my townhouse and whatever they build - there goes my first plant bed. Good point about the water runoff...

I think that these will be reasonably high $$ - hopefully people buying such units don't want to be crowded, either

I think that these will be reasonably high $$ - hopefully people buying such units don't want to be crowded, either

well they'll still be built and someone will come along and buy them cause they don't care about not having parking or a mini-yard.

just got this:

Attend one of the two meetings below and learn how to create, amend or renew your deed restrictions and find out about proposed changes to the minimum lot size and building line program

Monday, August 27th, 2007

6:00 pm - 8:00 pm

Southwest Multi-Service Center

6400 High Star (one block off Hillcroft)

Or

Wednesday, August 29th, 2007

6:00 pm - 8:00 pm

United Way

50 Waugh (at Feagan)

For more information, please call:

Planning & Development Dept. (713) 837-777

Archived