Tropical Storm Erin - 2007

Jax

I was down the coast around Port Lavaca and later Indianola and was surprised at all of the stuff I was hearing on the radio about stalled traffic and flooding back in Houston. The clouds started to break to the west and southwest toward Corpus and it seemed the darkest back to the northeast, looking toward Houston.

-LaSalle Monument looking Westward

DSC00881.jpg

-Across Matagorda Bay to the N/NE

DSC00883.jpg

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw people yesterday slowing down, looking at the water, and then plowing through. I didn't see anybody get stuck but it was pretty damn close. In once case I had to turn around and find an alternate route.

Yesterday, as the storm was clearing.

1144101408_ab79cce497.jpg

Here's a tip, folks:

If the traffic signal heads are only 8' above the water, it's probably not a good idea to plow into the intersection.

Something else to know...most curbs in Houston are 6" curbs (unless you have those 4"x12" rollover curbs in a residential neighborhood).

If the water is up to the curb on a residential street, there's 6" of water at the edge of the street (and approximately 0" in the center of the street).

If the water is up to the top of the outside curb on a boulevard section (a divided street with a median in the middle), there is also 6" of water at the outside edge of the street, and the inside portion of the boulevard (nearest the median) should be dry.

If the water is up to the top of the inside curb on a boulevard section, there is 1' of water at the outside edge of the street, and at least 6" of water on the inside lane of the street.

I saw people yesterday slowing down, looking at the water, and then plowing through. I didn't see anybody get stuck but it was pretty damn close. In once case I had to turn around and find an alternate route.

Yesterday, as the storm was clearing.

1144101408_ab79cce497.jpg

Love storm pictures. Keep 'em coming.

• 1 month later...

Harris County Declared Disaster Area for Damage from Tropical Storm Erin

(Harris County, TX) - President Bush declared Harris and five other Texas counties disaster areas as a result of Tropical Storm Erin damage. The other Texas counties are Bexar, Jones, Kendall, Medina, and Taylor.

"Harris County residents will now be able to seek federal assistance for damage to their homes and businesses caused by Tropical Storm Erin," said Harris County Judge Ed Emmett. "Erin created significant damage to portions of southeast Harris County and this is a critical step in the recovery process."

Judge Emmett requested a disaster declaration in September and has worked with state and federal officials in securing the federal aid. As county judge, Emmett also serves as the director of Harris County's Office of Homeland Security & Emergency Management.

The assistance, coordinated by FEMA, includes grants to help pay for temporary housing, home repairs and other serious disaster-related expenses. Low-interest loans from the U.S. Small Business Administration also will be available to cover residential and business losses not fully compensated by insurance.

Federal funding is also available on a cost-sharing basis for hazard mitigation measures statewide.

Tropical Storm Erin made landfall on August 16th just north of Corpus Christi but had significant impacts to east Harris County communities, including the cities of Pasadena, La Porte, Deer Park, and Baytown.

The Harris County Office of Homeland Security & Emergency Management, representatives of Precinct 2, and the City of La Porte were heavily involved in FEMA's damage assessment in the county.

Residents and business owners who sustained losses in the designated counties can begin applying for assistance tomorrow by registering online at www.fema.gov or by calling 1-800-621-FEMA (3362) or 1-800-462-7585 (TTY) for the hearing and speech impaired. The toll-free telephone numbers will operate from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. (local time) Monday thru Sunday. Spanish language assistance is available.

• The title was changed to Tropical Storm Erin - 2007

Archived