The Building That Lights Up The Large Square

C2H

Uhhhh.....no :mellow: The only other comptetition is houston.....And I think we are alittle ahead inthe Urban Department. :unsure:

Really? When was the last time you were in Atlanta? Atlanta exceeds Dallas' urbanity on almost every level.

As far as being ahead of Houston, I would ask in what way? Victory? Deep Ellum?

I agree with him Gary. As much as I like Houston, i have to give the hand to Dallas in the urban development field. Just the fact that Dallas has more rail alone makes it feel more urban. Houston better be careful and watch out for its little brother Austin. Austin is capable of overtaking Houston in urban development sooner than we all realize!

I agree with him Gary. As much as I like Houston, i have to give the hand to Dallas in the urban development field. Just the fact that Dallas has more rail alone makes it feel more urban. Houston better be careful and watch out for its little brother Austin. Austin is capable of overtaking Houston in urban development sooner than we all realize!
And then what happens?
Their crime rate is higher than ours. If you watch MTV, you would know that crime is very urban.

Actually, they are probably trying to draw attention to their building to draw tenants in a tough leasing market, but , hey, what do I know?

The Hunt building is owner occupied and the One Arts Tower had its primary tenant (7-11) signed before they even broke ground...those buildings are new, illuminated, but are largely shielded from the "tough" leasing market. I don't agree with you assessment.

Lighting up the skyline is a Dallas tradition that goes back at least to the Magnolia building of the '30s (Red Pegasus.) Every one of Dallas' tallest for at least the last 80 years has been prominently illuminated in one way or another; that's just the way Dallas is. I love it...except for the Hollywood Squares thing on One Arts (too bight on an otherwise dull building.)

I have a proposal; we will trade a bit of Dallas' nighttime flash (you can have the square thingy) for some of Houston's legendary, Tokyo-like vibrancy. :)

you don't have to agree with Redscare or with the facts but here they are;

Overall office vacancy rates at the end of the 3rd quarter 2007

10.8% Houston-Baytown-SugarLand

17.8% Dallas-Ft Worth-Arlington

Net absorption of office space in 3rd quarter

1,200,000 square feet in greater Houston

577,000 square feet in DFW

Year to date absorption for 2007

3,400,000 square feet in greater Houston

822,000 square feet in DFW

Overall movement of direct vacancy rates

going down in Houston

going up in DFW

Third Quarter vacancy comparisons for close in office clusters

10.4% downtown Houston

19.5% downtown Dallas

5.3% Texas Medical Center-Houston

7.7% Uptown/Turtle Creek-Dallas

10.9% Uptown/Galleria-Houston

15.9% Central Expressway-Dallas

11.5% Greenway Plaza/Upper Kirby- Houston

27.2% Stemmons Freeway-Dallas

In conclusion; the lights are on INSIDE Houston office towers while the lights are on OUTSIDE Dallas office towers.

Since the usual suspects seem to ignore the warning, I'm just repeating it:

Respectful discussions only. My-city-is-better-than-your-city flame wars are not permitted on HAIF. "He started it" is not a valid excuse. Both parties in a flame war may have their accounts suspended or terminated. Just walk away. Flames will be deleted without notice. Please report violations to a member of the moderating team, or to the Editor.

In conclusion; the lights are on INSIDE Houston office towers while the lights are on OUTSIDE Dallas office towers.

Wow, you went to all that trouble, but didn't prove Redscare's point. I have no reason to dispute your statistics, but I reject the logical fallacy that they have anything to do with the lights. To agree with Redscare, one must accept:

1. Dallas has had a very high vacancy rate for at least 80 years, the time buildings have been lit up. And...

2. Being the tallest and newest tower in Dallas is not prominent enough to find tenants, the builders have to illuminate them as well. And...

3. The shiny, new buildings that are completely filled are illuminated now for unknown reasons, but they must have something to do with the high vacancy rate.

I accept that illuminating a building is part of its marketing, like its facade, interior design and amenities. But I don't see the connection between a high vacancy rate now and buildings that have been illuminated for decades. Sorry, nice try. :)

Really? When was the last time you were in Atlanta? Atlanta exceeds Dallas' urbanity on almost every level.

I totaly disagree about atlanta.......... :rolleyes: And do you REALLY want me to tell u how we are ahead?..........its really no need to go thru all of that but I will if I have too............but u already know....its just so hard for you to swallow... B)

And then what happens?Their crime rate is higher than ours. If you watch MTV, you would know that crime is very urban.

C'mon REd....Crime is not a new thing in big cities.......Hell every big city has it.....Oh I forgot...thats just what Houstonians try to use against us to make us look worse off and them feel better....It perfectly ok wit me......any publicity is good publicity.....yep even wit crime statistics looking the way they look(its getting better now)The cranes are still flying everywhere.....And to me ..thats whats important right now. :P

Overall office vacancy rates at the end of the 3rd quarter 2007

10.8% Houston-Baytown-SugarLand

17.8% Dallas-Ft Worth-Arlington

Net absorption of office space in 3rd quarter

1,200,000 square feet in greater Houston

577,000 square feet in DFW

Year to date absorption for 2007

3,400,000 square feet in greater Houston

822,000 square feet in DFW

Overall movement of direct vacancy rates

going down in Houston

going up in DFW

Third Quarter vacancy comparisons for close in office clusters

10.4% downtown Houston

19.5% downtown Dallas

5.3% Texas Medical Center-Houston

7.7% Uptown/Turtle Creek-Dallas

10.9% Uptown/Galleria-Houston

15.9% Central Expressway-Dallas

11.5% Greenway Plaza/Upper Kirby- Houston

27.2% Stemmons Freeway-Dallas

:lol::lol: ...lets face it...even if dallas had a 70% vacancy rate....Houstonians will still feel like they have to prove to the world that Dallas dosent add up to Houston....and that dallas is dying.......GET OVER IT......I mean anyone knows that Dallas has always and probably will for a long time have a HIGHER vacancy rate than houston.....But the GREEN eyes always seem to focus in on whats Going on and up in the Horrible city of Dallas... ;)

what a complete moron...

:lol::lol: ...lets face it...even if dallas had a 70% vacancy rate....Houstonians will still feel like they have to prove to the world that Dallas dosent add up to Houston....and that dallas is dying.......GET OVER IT......I mean anyone knows that Dallas has always and probably will for a long time have a HIGHER vacancy rate than houston.....But the GREEN eyes always seem to focus in on whats Going on and up in the Horrible city of Dallas... ;)

But the GREEN eyes always seem to focus in on whats Going on and up in the Horrible city of Dallas... ;)

Which must surely explain why you are posting on a Houston forum...or why this thread was even started in the first place (Note the thread starter is ALSO not a Houstonian).

Archived