Houston 9th Most Visited American City

Trust me, things are more centralized in Dallas.

Secondly the 'type' of tourism you receive in Houston is different from tourism of Dallas. Most Americans dont think to visit Houston like they do Dallas. No, not even for NASA Space Center; Cape Canaveral blows away Houston. Anyways, Houston's NASA looks more like a child's indoor playground.

The only thing an educated national tourist could get out of Houston is museums and the plays they have in Downtown.

Why should I trust you, especially since I lived in DFW for 9 years? Your idea of centralized already makes your demand for trust suspect. Given that DFW "tourist attractions" can be found in Downtown Dallas, North Dallas, South Dallas, Irving, Arlington, Downtown Fort Worth, North Fort Worth, Northwest Fort Worth, Far North Fort Worth, Grapevine, East Dallas, Far East Dallas, and Grand Prairie....among others....one would be hard pressed to call DFW attractions any more centralized than Houston, Atlanta, Phoenix, or LA.

I would also question where you get your information on what "most Americans" think to visit. I WOULD agree with your stereotypical belief set, but stereotypical beliefs do not facts make. And frankly, an "educated national tourist" sounds like an oxymoron.

It doesn't matter what kind of tourism it is. Houston came in at #9. Dallas came in at number #10. I guess you are just going to have to live with it. What makes you think you know more about tourism than Forbes anyway? And why should anyone believe you?

NMM, If you think Dallas is some kind of tourist mecca, you are delusional. Tourists hate Dallas. There is nothing significant to do in Dallas that can't be done in any other city in America. It's just as corporate as Houston. And it doesn't even have a beach near by. :P

Edited by Mister X

What does dallas have to do over Houston, Six Flags? There alot more things to do in the Houston area than people know. Cape Canaveral is not in Dallas so how does that help Dallas? I still dont see how both cities made the list, but Houston came in 9th and Dallas 10th live with it.

Why should I trust you, especially since I lived in DFW for 9 years? Your idea of centralized already makes your demand for trust suspect. Given that DFW "tourist attractions" can be found in Downtown Dallas, North Dallas, South Dallas, Irving, Arlington, Downtown Fort Worth, North Fort Worth, Northwest Fort Worth, Far North Fort Worth, Grapevine, East Dallas, Far East Dallas, and Grand Prairie....among others....one would be hard pressed to call DFW attractions any more centralized than Houston, Atlanta, Phoenix, or LA.

I would also question where you get your information on what "most Americans" think to visit. I WOULD agree with your stereotypical belief set, but stereotypical beliefs do not facts make. And frankly, an "educated national tourist" sounds like an oxymoron.

Well, for one things the "skyscrapers" and such are in and around Downtown and Uptown. There is no equivalent of greenspoint or that west end along beltway 8 (cant remember name).

secondly, the educated tourist is the one who knows what hes looking for on his vacation.

thirdly, we have different ideas of tourist attractions. i dont see anything touristy in south dallas or far east dallas. i dont consider parks, lakes or sports complexes as tourist destinations. to me tourist destinations are those "things" unique to a certain city. yes dallas has a pretty lake to its east, but houston has a nice lake to its northeast as well.

but the downtown, the JFK memorials and museums, the arts district and the lite clubbing district are in and within downtown and uptown. fort worth has a whole different culture of its own.

No, i dont think Dallas is better than Houston, i personally like Houston for its down to earth mood and people. However, Dallas markets itself much better as some sort of tourist destination whereas Houston doesnt.

In pure tourism both cities suck. But Dallas has better marketing.

My mention of Cape Canaveral means NASA Space Center Houston isnt worth your time. Its a place for kids outside of their tram tours. Again, when you go to vacation you look for something unique, especially if you only vacation once in a while. As pleaseant as downtown is, it doesnt attract the same amount of glitz and glamour as Miami, NYC, LA, or Las Vegas; which are poster billboards for tourist cities.

Forbes is a business magazine. What do you think their criteria is for judging tourist hotspots?

Forbes is a business magazine. What do you think their criteria is for judging tourist hotspots?

Maybe Forbes takes certain key locations within a city (like hotels and such) and the total number of people that actually visit those locations and counts them up to get their information. What a radical concept. It's called "tourism". BTW, tourism IS a business, so why shouldn't a business magazine's rankings be valid.

BTW, I'm still trying to figure out why your criteria for judging hot spots is superior to a business magazine or any magazine. At least Forbes explained how they came up with their rankings. I think you are going by something you heard in high school. The stuff you mentioned in Dallas is closer together than in Houston, but I don't think that is a significant way to measure tourism and obviously neither do the experts.

I think I prefer Forbes method of gathering data better.

Edited by Mister X

thirdly, we have different ideas of tourist attractions. i dont see anything touristy in south dallas or far east dallas. i dont consider parks, lakes or sports complexes as tourist destinations. to me tourist destinations are those "things" unique to a certain city. yes dallas has a pretty lake to its east, but houston has a nice lake to its northeast as well.

Exactly my point, and exactly why I called you out on your post. Not only do you and I have different ideas and desires as far as tourist attractions, but so do the millions of tourists crisscrossing the country. Some from rural areas come for shopping, others for memorials or museums. Families may want to suffer at that hellhole (to me) known as Six Flags. While neither of us may consider a North Texas lake or a NASCAR track as desirable, hundreds of thousands of sportsmen and racing enthusiasts do. Small town visitors may be impressed with the zoos located in each city.

Forbes looks at visitors from a business standpoint. A hotelier does not care why you check into his hotel, only that you spend your money there. City tourist bureaus do not care whether you visit to look at downtown skyscrapers, visit a grassy knoll, or let your kids act like astronauts, only that you spend money in their city. I am a Dallas visitor, but only to visit friends and family. The CVB doesn't care, as long as I leave my money there.

I agree that Dallas markets better overall. But, I do not visit marketing. Fact is, other than friends and family, there is little reason for me to travel to Dallas, just as there is little reason for Dallasites to travel to Houston. The same things exist in both cities. However, both cities DO draw a substantial number of visitors, enough to place both cities in the top 10 nationwide. They come for a myriad of reasons, and they ALL spend money. Just because they want to see something that does not interest you or me does not make their money any less valuable.

Well, for one things the "skyscrapers" and such are in and around Downtown and Uptown.

Per Grubb & Ellis, only 14.5% of the DFW area's office space is in downtown Dallas. Only 5.7% is in Uptown/Turtle Creek. This totals 20.2% of their office market, or 35.8 million square feet.

In comparison, 22.3% of Houston's office space is downtown, comprising 35.6 million square feet. So our urban cores are about the same size. The kicker: 11.5% vacancy in downtown Houston vs. a combined average of 19.7% vacancy in downtown Dallas and Turtle Creek. Empty office space doesn't contribute to business tourism.

There is no equivalent of greenspoint or that west end along beltway 8 (cant remember name).

Ever heard of Las Colinas? The Las Colinas/Irving submarket has nearly as much office space as downtown Dallas, has somewhat lower vacancy, and has more space under construction than downtown.

Edited by TheNiche

Per Grubb & Ellis, only 14.5% of the DFW area's office space is in downtown Dallas. Only 5.7% is in Uptown/Turtle Creek. This totals 20.2% of their office market, or 35.8 million square feet.

In comparison, 22.3% of Houston's office space is downtown, comprising 35.6 million square feet. So our urban cores are about the same size. The kicker: 11.5% vacancy in downtown Houston vs. a combined average of 19.7% vacancy in downtown Dallas and Turtle Creek. Empty office space doesn't contribute to business tourism.

Ever heard of Las Colinas? The Las Colinas/Irving submarket has nearly as much office space as downtown Dallas, has somewhat lower vacancy, and has more space under construction than downtown.

Nice reply, Niche.

Las Colinas immediately popped into my head too. Of course, this is part of the schizo behavior of many DFW boosters. Half the time they want to include the entire market when comparing the Metroplex with Houston and the other half of the time they like to conveniently leave out the burbs when it suits their arguments.