Wild Mod Beach House

BenH

That's awesome. I applaud the owners (and the architect) for their creativity. Have you written to the owners yet to see if they'll host a HIAF party? :)

If I'm not mistaken, this house is in the process of changing hands. That how I was able to track it down. I found the "for sale" sign out front, and found the listing, which is here:

http://search.har.com/engine/dispSearch.cf...mp;backButton=Y

Sand and sea properties had a slightly more detailed listing, which included the architects name. I e-mailed the architect to confirm that he had designed the house. He responded and verified that he had. Here's there website, but this house isn't on it:

http://mgaia.com/ He said that the house has been a source of positive feedback, for those who've known it was his. I'd love to shoot it one day. I can't tell you how awesome it looks at sunset!

He apparently worked for or with Ford, Powell & Carson a while back. The firm seems to do a lot of rehabilitation work in Galveston.

Guest danax
that is what i'd call a large overhang.

I like its overall look and uniqueness but that overhang doesn't look like it took a huge amount of creativity. Maybe the designer was just recalling how he nailed up boards for his childhood treehouse.

I bet those overhangs (sails?) are going to catch a lot of upward force from hurricane force winds. Hopefully they took this into account in the design and construction of it....

I am willing to wager it could withstand at least a Cat. 4. Those are friggin' Telephone poles holding that thing LOL! It looks very strong to me.

I am willing to wager it could withstand at least a Cat. 4. Those are friggin' Telephone poles holding that thing LOL! It looks very strong to me.

True, but there are several more structural members and fastners between said telephone poles and the actual roof decking. I'm sure the poles could handle it just fine, but if everything fastened to said poles isn't done properly or sturdy enought, then it could be an issue.

True, but there are several more structural members and fastners between said telephone poles and the actual roof decking. I'm sure the poles could handle it just fine, but if everything fastened to said poles isn't done properly or sturdy enought, then it could be an issue.

Absolutely, it looks like that was one thing the architect kept in mind. There is flow through at the edges and notice how the roof is tilted up away from the Gulf, it makes the windshear go over the "sails", Instead of having a flat surface that the wind can push up on.

I bet those overhangs (sails?) are going to catch a lot of upward force from hurricane force winds. Hopefully they took this into account in the design and construction of it....

The homeowner won't have to worry about the overhang as much as getting all those windows covered and secure from

flying debris! :wacko: But when you can afford to build something like that on the beach, what's a few picture windows?!

Stucco :o

Home is gorgeous BTW.

Thanks for the post and info! :)

HA! I was right for a change. The ad says "built to withstand category 4 hurricanes."

Hey Monkey, the house looks to be finished according HAR.com. Did they just put those beams up today ?

Ummmm.......is it just me, or does this sucker look like it's leanin' ?

hr1762877-1.jpg

• 1 year later...

Archived