Kingwood Complaints

ricco67

Answer: Lee Brown was/is an idiot.

Did Lee Brown order the annexation? Who is responsible for deciding on which areas to annex? How did he play into the role?

I never understood the purpose of annexing that far out. Kingwood is beyond 1960, which, at the time of annexation, was still considered far out of town. Much of close-in NW Houston is not even COH, but unincorporated Harris County with MUDs. How can they not annex an area that is inside the Beltway 8 (Fairbanks N. Houston, Gessner, Windfern), yet they annex an area that is beyond 1960? I guess the close-in NW areas are not valuable enough to the city, but attractive to people who want low taxes, so the status quo remains. I guess Houston will always be a strange city with no zoning and asymmetrical annexations.

The COH does not want the areas that it did not annex. The COH wants the areas with a tax base. It annexed suburbs like Kingwood; now it is choosing to go after businesses.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm actually in favor of the city de-annexing large parcels of land way outside the loop, perhaps even allowing places like Kingwood or Clear Lake to form their own municipalities.

They would lose tax revenue but they would also not have to pretend to provide services for those places.

Lots of people like police officers, firefighters, and public works employees could also lose their jobs.

Edited by Jeebus

Lots of people like police officers, firefighters, and public works employees could also lose their jobs.

Cry me a river.

A lot of those jobs would likely be regained (and then some) if and when the de-annexed areas formed a management district through the state legislature...or just worked out a deal like The Woodlands did for incorporation and self-government.

Answer: Lee Brown was/is an idiot.

While I agree with your statement, you should be blaming Lanier. Mayor Lee didn't serve until 1998. You really should take a moment to think things through before you make a blanket statement like that. You're starting to sound like A-oaks.

Did Lee Brown order the annexation? Who is responsible for deciding on which areas to annex? How did he play into the role?

The COH does not want the areas that it did not annex. The COH wants the areas with a tax base. It annexed suburbs like Kingwood; now it is choosing to go after businesses.

I'm not sure exactly who pulls the trigger on this kind of thing, but I assume it's the mayor (I'm sure someone will correct me). Actually, You're also wrong, COH first annexed the Willowbrook mall using a bizarre path of roadway to just annex the mall and surrounding business since they weren't interested in getting more people, just Willowbrook Taxes. Everyone at the time knew that Kingwood was going to be part of Houston and the way it was playing out on all sides, it almost sounded like people were lining up on the Houston and Kingwood border for for a shootout!

That was a little incendiary don't you think? I mean, we're only talking about a couple hundred jobs in each burb.

And you don't think that folks in those wealthy neighborhoods wouldn't find some way or another to police their streets, extinguish their enflamed homes, and maintain their infrastructure? Hell, once they were done variously forming management districts, paying the County for more sheriffs' patrolmen, forming/reforming fire departments, and going nuts over issues related to planning, they'd probably have created a huge complicated set of layered bureaucracies, hired back everyone that was laid off, and then hired on many more on top of that.

And if by some chance, the citizens of those areas refrained from doing all that, then they'd just be getting taxed less--which translates immediately to better spending power. Spending power translates to more jobs.

So no, I don't think it an incendiary comment.

And you don't think that folks in those wealthy neighborhoods wouldn't find some way or another to police their streets, extinguish their enflamed homes, and maintain their infrastructure? Hell, once they were done variously forming management districts, paying the County for more sheriffs' patrolmen, forming/reforming fire departments, and going nuts over issues related to planning, they'd probably have created a huge complicated set of layered bureaucracies, hired back everyone that was laid off, and then hired on many more on top of that.

So no, I don't think it an incendiary comment.

Well, I'm sure all those people who would be laid off wouldn't miss a day of work during the transition process. And I'm sure most are like yourself and have a nest-egg saved up for such a rainy day.

Well, I'm sure all those people who would be laid off wouldn't miss a day of work during the transition process. And I'm sure most are like yourself and have a nest-egg saved up for such a rainy day.

It's funny you should mention that. Just about everyone should quit their job spontaneously from time to time and play the field. And if they don't have a nest egg, well that's just idiocy. Oftentimes people don't follow the labor market very closely, gain experience and get raises that don't reflect their true worth, and don't know enough to search for a better position, if only to use it as leverage to get their wages up in their current position (that is assuming that a better job doesn't go along with the pay). I've known people who have gotten fired or laid off and that have found much better jobs in a short while. I myself am in between jobs--last day was on Friday. I'd decided to quit without having anything lined up, but had a bite within 15 minutes of starting my job search that ultimately led to about a third more gross income and flex hours. And missing days of work isn't so bad. There is an element of leisure built into it, after all.

Let's look at what Kingwood has in terms of municipal services:

* 1 City Library (to be opened) - replacing the County Library

* 1 Community Center (in the current library building)

* 1 Police Patrol Station - http://www.houstontx.gov/police/substations.htm

* 4 Fire Stations (unfortunately, none have municipal ambulances)

* 1 Satellite Center/Municipal Court Access - http://www.houstontx.gov/courts/satellite.html

The Kingwood Area Super Neighborhood 43 had 52,899 residents as of 2000: http://www.houstontx.gov/planning/suprnbhd...43_kingwood.htm

All Kingwood needs is two municipal ambulances, and the fire services should improve.

It's funny you should mention that. Just about everyone should quit their job spontaneously from time to time and play the field. And if they don't have a nest egg, well that's just idiocy.
I guess my 20 month old daughter & 150,000 dollar home mortgage are reason behind my idocy then. Perhaps a silver-spoon would have nutured a better nest-egg for myself. But alas neither I or my wife were as fortunate, as I asume most middle class people are not - most likely including the folks who would be laid off in the burbs.

Niche, you are the exception to the rule, and you always seem to forget that.

Let's look at what Kingwood has in terms of municipal services:

* 4 Fire Stations (unfortunately, none have municipal ambulances)

All Kingwood needs is two municipal ambulances, and the fire services should improve.

I think they have ambulances up there. I've seen two news stories to support it. One was about Kingwood residents complaining that they didn't have enough ambulances, and the other one was a Wayne Dolcefino story about ambulances from other parts of the city having to go to Kingwood & Willowbrook when their ambulances were on calls. Edited by Jeebus

I guess my 20 month old daughter & 150,000 dollar home mortgage are reason behind my idocy then. Perhaps a silver-spoon would have nutured a better nest-egg for myself. But alas neither I or my wife were as fortunate, as I asume most middle class people are not - most likely including the folks who would be laid off in the burbs.

Niche, you are the exception to the rule, and you always seem to forget that.

Thank you...I think.

But a silver spoon was not in the cards. My parents helped me some in college, but then only so much as they knew that if they didn't help me, I'd just forgo whatever it took to be able to pay my own way, without taking out any student debt. That's the only reason that I even had phone or internet is because if they didn't pay for it, they wouldn't have any way to contact me except by mail or when I happened to check e-mail at a library computer. I owe my good financial standing primarily to frugality. A penny saved is a penny earned.

If you're on such a razor's edge, why not cut back a bit on consumption for a few months (or permanently) and build up enough to give you a margin of financial safety? Seriously, if you're living paycheck-to-paycheck, then it would be idiocy not to try to improve your situation, at least insofar as getting laid off wouldn't be crippling. You owe it to your daughter.

Edited by TheNiche

Thank you...I think.

But a silver spoon was not in the cards. My parents helped me some in college, but then only so much as they knew that if they didn't help me, I'd just forgo whatever it took to be able to pay my own way, without taking out any student debt. That's the only reason that I even had phone or internet is because if they didn't pay for it, they wouldn't have any way to contact me except by mail or when I happened to check e-mail at a library computer. I owe my good financial standing primarily to frugality. A penny saved is a penny earned.

If you're on such a razor's edge, why not cut back a bit on consumption for a few months (or permanently) and build up enough to give you a margin of financial safety? Seriously, if you're living paycheck-to-paycheck, then it would be idiocy not to try to improve your situation, at least insofar as getting laid off wouldn't be crippling. You owe it to your daughter.

Wow, that sounds like a lot of help you got there, and I take it you don't have kids, all these certainly disqualifies you to be advising others on frugality or parenting frugality. Ppl without kids are always trying to give advice to parents or act like they know parents' lives and struggles.

Edited by webdude

Wow, that sounds like a lot of help you got there, and I take it you don't have kids, all these certainly disqualifies you to be advising others on frugality or parenting frugality. Ppl without kids are always trying to give advice to parents or act like they know parents' lives and struggles.

Is there something wrong with the idea that parents and their kids are benefited by there being a margin of financial safety within the household? :huh:

If so, please by all means, enlighten me.

Is there something wrong with the idea that parents and their kids are benefited by there being a margin of financial safety within the household? :huh:

If so, please by all means, enlighten me.

They can it get from someone qualified though,

and certainly not from random strangers who act like they know his situation well, or act like their own dissimilar situation makes a good case study for his.

Edited by webdude

They can it get from someone qualified though,

and certainly not from random strangers who act like they know their situation well.

Webdude, this is too simple a matter to get wrong. If there is a lack of very basic financial security, then that is a problem. It can only be addressed by cutting expenses or increasing earnings. Take your pick. And whatever is done, doing it now, before the child can remember it or before some unforseen crisis creates a cash flow problem that results in a bad credit rating on top of a major negative lifestyle change, would seem like a pretty good time. Any objections? Is my logic flawed?

Or does having a child mean that you feel compelled not to provide a safe and stable environment for them to be raised in? If so, then I guess you'd be right--I'd have no idea where parents are coming from and shouldn't bother with this.

Edited by TheNiche

Webdude, this is too simple a matter to get wrong. If there is a lack of very basic financial security, then that is a problem. It can only be addressed by cutting expenses or increasing earnings. Take your pick. And whatever is done, doing it now, before the child can remember it, would seem like a pretty good time. Any objections?

TheNiche, the matter is not about the technique as it is about making assumptions on others that they are not doing either or both already, or implying that your situation is the same as theirs, or that you know better.

For example, here is some advice for you.

You might want to check out your capability to have a child and family. Its really not that hard. First, you got to have a girlfriend. Then you got to get married, Get tested before or after you marry, see whether you have any problems, then I am sure you don't need to be taught the next one, or if you don't, I can help you. I owe my good family standing to my ability to get a wife. Seriously, you owe it to your parents to give them some grandkids to play with.

TheNiche, the matter is not about the technique as it is about making assumptions on others that they are not doing either or both already, or implying that your situation is the same as theirs, or that you know better.

You might want to check out your capability to have a child and family. Its really not that hard. First, you got to have a girlfriend. Then you got to get married, Get tested before or after you marry, see whether you have any problems, then I am sure you don't need to be taught the next one, or if you don't, I can help you. I owe my good family standing to my ability to get a wife. Seriously, you owe it to your parents to give them some grandkids to play with.

I am fully aware of the baby-making process and am currently engaged in its earlier stages, as you so graciously described. But thank you for the advice and offer of assistance. If future Mrs. Niche does not understand the process and is distracted by her feelings of insult at my own attempts to explain it to her, I will refer her to you for guidance. In fact, if she's that thick-headed and easily hurt, you can keep her. ;):D

But getting back on point, Jeebus says he doesn't have a nest-egg. That is a problem. I merely pointed out a solution. I don't see why it would be any different, say, than someone telling me that their commute to where they work is too long and me giving them the names of some affordable housing options nearer to there. The appropriate responses might be "I'll take that under advisement", "I'm already looking", "I already know about that one", "I can't afford even that", "my wife works near where I live now", or "I've got friends/family around where I live", and that's all fine, but what I've communicated one way or another is that I care enough to have said something. I'd more expect a "thank you for caring, but..." than attempts to discredit me on account of who I am rather than what I've said.

DONT DO IT NICHE IT'S A TRAP

Haha, yeah. I know of the perils. But I'm kind of stuck on step one, trying to find a gal that is either well-grounded and frugal like myself at home or upwardly mobile and entrepreneurial, like myself at work. But not both; that'd be creepy and somewhat boring.

Tough nut to crack. Maybe Editor should create a HAIF Dating/Personal Ads subforum. :lol:

Edited by TheNiche

and no mention of how to support them? as for owing your parents some grandkids, i hope they don't have to end up supporting those grandkids. ;)

I am fully aware of the baby-making process and am currently engaged in its earlier stages, as you so graciously described. But thank you for the advice and offer of assistance. If future Mrs. Niche does not understand the process and is distracted by her feelings of insult at my own attempts to explain it to her, I will refer her to you for guidance. In fact, if she's that thick-headed and easily hurt, you can keep her. ;):D

But getting back on point, Jeebus says he doesn't have a nest-egg. That is a problem. I merely pointed out a solution. I don't see why it would be any different, say, than someone telling me that their commute to where they work is too long and me giving them the names of some affordable housing options nearer to there. The appropriate responses might be "I'll take that under advisement", "I'm already looking", "I already know about that one", "I can't afford even that", "my wife works near where I live now", or "I've got friends/family around where I live", and that's all fine, but what I've communicated one way or another is that I care enough to have said something. I'd more expect a "thank you for caring, but..." than attempts to discredit me on account of who I am rather than what I've said.

Without tact, the best of intentions comes across as [negative connotation here], You will need some tact to get girls.

and no mention of how to support them? as for owing your parents some grandkids, i hope they don't have to end up supporting those grandkids. ;)

One thing at a time, get a family first, without one, that advice would be kind of jumping th gun, you are welcome to add your money making secrets now if you like. But to really help him, perhaps you can share your girl getting, marriage, family building secrets, or don't you have one either?

Edited by webdude

having a family without being able to support them seems to be jumping the gun to me.

He keeps saying he is financially stable, but in the process of getting a girl, so the advice without the money is appropriate.

But please go ahead and add both your money making secrets and girl getting family building advice (unless you too have challenges) here.

Edited by webdude

Then go ahead and add both your money making secrets and girl getting family building advice (if you even have wife and kids) here.

i'd have to side with niche on this one. for those having money issues, you have to change your lifestyle financially to address them. he's decided to live frugally is changing his lifestyle. families do this all the time. eliminate buying a new car, don't go on vacation, etc. it is common financial sense. if you choose to enter a relationship/contract/whatever some planning is warranted so that you can meet your end of the bargain.

i'd have to side with niche on this one. for those having money issues, you have to change your lifestyle financially to address them. he's decided to live frugally is changing his lifestyle. families do this all the time. eliminate buying a new car, don't go on vacation, etc. it is common financial sense. if you choose to enter a relationship/contract/whatever some planning is warranted so that you can meet your end of the bargain.

He already said he is financially stable many times, how about some of that experienced advice on how for him to get the girl or family building.

But getting back on point, Jeebus says he doesn't have a nest-egg. That is a problem. I merely pointed out a solution.

..I'd more expect a "thank you for caring, but..." than attempts to discredit me on account of who I am rather than what I've said.

Niche, if your solution was as easy as "just cutting back a little on consumption", then sure - we'd all have a decent nest egg. The board is correct in pointing out that even as a young, single, and successful person, you still don't understand the basic hardships of family life. Not everyone like yourself gets to choose when to fall in love or when to have children. Sometimes life is full of spontaneity. I doubt that even one percent of those who could be laid off during a de-annexation are in your position financially. I'd be willing to bet that over half share mine.

Now, concerning my own personal affairs - by paying a mortgage on a house while still sending my wife to school full time, I AM thinking of my daughter. I could choose to stay living in an apartment and have my wife work full-time without attaining her degree, which in the long run would make for more hardships than those faced in the interim.

My whole point has been that your arrogance, and apathy for the people who would be laid off was disgusting to say the least. Your posts have only proven that you don't even understand the basic concept of family responsibility, yet you are the first to try and council others on it.

Edited by Jeebus