Houston's Label?

J.A.S.O.N.

I am a die hard rockets fan and wont just stop watching them cause their not winning. Baseball is not all that fun to watch unless its the playoffs or the Yankees and Red Socks are playing. I want the Texans to do better so I can get past the VY AND RB thing. I just dont want Houston to be like Cleveland.

Really? I'd assume the Rockets have more of a storied past than the Astros.

Oye, the Houston Comets won twice as many championships as the Rockets. Does that make Houston primarily a women's basketball town? :unsure:

Astros still have the history behind them because they're Houston's longest running team. There would probably be a lajor celebration if the Rockets or Texans won, and a farely decent one if Dynamo repeated, but the bigger connection is with the sports fans here is with the one that's been representing Houston for more generations than the others. If the Astros won the World Series, you'd probably see a massive celebration and hear a loud sigh of relief at the same time.

Are we only talking about pro sports?

For college, Rice definitely is a BASEBALL school. They're good and draw well. UH was doing well for awhile too and drawing decent crowds (for college baseball) until the last 2 years or so.

UH of course has the SOLID basketball runs in the 1960s and 1980s and had an excellent run in football from the late 1960s (opening of the Astrodome) until the early 1980s (ranked more often than not). They then had another run during the run and shoot days. Hopefully Briles can keep things heading in the right direction.

I enjoy college sports so much more than pro sports. I'd attend games at UH or Rice or TSU way before I'd ever attend a pro game.

I've never been a big football fan, but I ldo like the Texans.

My favorite teams in order:

Astros

Rockets

Dynamo

Texans

Comets

I can't speak for the rest of Houston, but judging by T-shirts I see being worn around, there seems to be more Astros shirts than anything.

I've never been a big football fan, but I ldo like the Texans.

My favorite teams in order:

Astros

Rockets

Dynamo

Texans

Comets

I can't speak for the rest of Houston, but judging by T-shirts I see being worn around, there seems to be more Astros shirts than anything.

I'd rank em like this;

Cougars

Owls

Tigers (TSU)

Dynamo

Comets

Aeros

Astros

Rockets

Texans

I'd rank em like this;

Cougars

Owls

Tigers (TSU)

Dynamo

Comets

Aeros

Astros

Rockets

Texans

You must be kidding. You would rank a tier-two college, a tiny private school, and an unknown over all of Houston's pro-teams? Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but your ranks just seem arbitrary. I can't believe the Comets and TSU were even acknowledged as having a team.

The Texans may sell out every ticket, but there are NOT 70,000 butts in seats. I see pockets of empty seats at every game.

I was actually referring to lack of people in seats at Rockets playoff games that I have been too. Astros, I will say that during playoff time the seats are filled, I don't think during the regular season that there is ONE sell out game , and the games that I go to, there is NO WAY that there are 34,000 people there, maybe 34,000 tickets sold, but only 24,000 people. When they measure attendance are using the turnstall totals or are they using ticket sale numbers ?

Actually, TJ, you are wrong again. The Astros have sold out the 40,950 seat Minute Maid Park 14 times this year. The AVERAGE attendance is 37,000. True, this is paid sales, but there is no way that only 2/3 of fans with tickets are showing up....unless you are talking the Texans!

Actually, TJ, you are wrong again. The Astros have sold out the 40,950 seat Minute Maid Park 14 times this year. The AVERAGE attendance is 37,000. True, this is paid sales, but there is no way that only 2/3 of fans with tickets are showing up....unless you are talking the Texans!

I will go with the statistics, but I am telling you what I actually SEE at the games. Go to a game and look around, especially when someone like the Brewers are in town. I'll bet the "sell out" games were when St.Louis was in town, or right around when Baggie was about to hit 3000. Taking into account factors like that, I can see some sell outs, people WANT to be part of history you know. If you would read a few posts above though, we have someone that actually takes the numbers to front office, Paid attendance and actual butts in seats is what I am referring too, you still want to tell me I am wrong though. I expect nothing less from you though, that is our relationship. :P:D

You must be kidding. You would rank a tier-two college, a tiny private school, and an unknown over all of Houston's pro-teams? Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but your ranks just seem arbitrary. I can't believe the Comets and TSU were even acknowledged as having a team.

Yes, I would support Houston's public university which has a great tradition, affordable ticket prices, and a fun tailgating scene over the NFL which hasn't done a single damn thing to Vick yet. I also think Reliant Stadium is rather lame despite all the bells and whistles (maybe there are so many stadium tricks so that fans don't notice that the on the field product is BORING).

Yes, I would support Rice University baseball over the Astros. Rice is an excellent school, plays in a beautiful setting with the TMC as a backdrop, has affordable ticket prices, and they WIN regularly. Plus, they aren't paying players $6,000,000 a year to SUCK. And, who knows, you just might get to see the next big Astros player in an intimate setting (Berkman).

Yes, I would support TSU over the Texans. Attending the Labor Day Classic and watching the Battle of the Bands (TSU vs. Prairie View ATM) is a blast. If you've never been, you should try it.

Yes, I would support the Comets ahead of the Rockets. I simply don't like the NBA. The style of play in that league over the last 20 years isn't basketball. It's hot-doggin'. As someone who played basketball my entire life, I appreciate the women's game. It is still a team sport where passing, set plays, and solid skills still take precedent over show boating, traveling on the way to the hoop to make a dunk, and players who live their lives like thugs.

Vick, innocent until proven guilty ? What happened to that ? I don't support Vick at all, I don;t even like him as a player, I am just glad he isn't OUR quarterback. If he is found guilty, rest assured, that the NFL will be done with him. PeTA has already claimed protests, and Vick says he wants to play, but Atlanta's owner isn't gonna let that happen, he is a huge animal lover.

Kink, if you haven't been to a Texans tailgating party, you are missin' out. Most times, it is better than the actual games. :D

Favorite Houston Teams in Order:

1) Cougars - (College Sports are the best, I echo what Kincaid said)

2) Rice - Baseball above the other Owls teams

3) Dynamo

4) Rockets (Fun team)

5) Texans (Past on VY and Bush - great, first class organization but the NFL as a whole is a turn off.)

6) Astros ( I want them to win but I hate the owner and his good 'ol boy system. Horrrible transactions, does just enough to keep fans in the stadium like sheep and spending there money. Will not spend the extra dime to help the Stros win a WS ring even though Roger and Andy were publicly begging him to do it for the previous two seasons. That is why they left.)

6) Astros ( I want them to win but I hate the owner and his good 'ol boy system. Horrrible transactions, does just enough to keep fans in the stadium like sheep and spending there money. Will not spend the extra dime to help the Stros win a WS ring even though Roger and Andy were publicly begging him to do it for the previous two seasons. That is why they left.)

WHAT ?

Right, Drayton couldn't afford to spend anymore money, because he had spent it all on those 2 worthless turds. Drayton got rolled on that deal last year. Astros have plenty of talent, who do YOU suggest we spend money on ? Who are you gonna replace, maybe Ensberg ?

WHAT ?

Right, Drayton couldn't afford to spend anymore money, because he had spent it all on those 2 worthless turds. Drayton got rolled on that deal last year. Astros have plenty of talent, who do YOU suggest we spend money on ? Who are you gonna replace, maybe Ensberg ?

Drayton has plenty of money to spend even when he had Roger and Andy.....Draytons makes a killing on the Astros. He treats it like a buisness to make money not to win rings. Look at he obsurb advertising at MMP (Fowl Poles?). Look at keeping Biggio here to long( to sell tickets). Getting rid of RP like Springer and Wagner because he will not spend big money on releivers because they do not sell tickets. He spends just enough to keep the fans interested but not the extra to get the one or two players to win a ring. Drayton made money off of Roger and didn't put it back in the club. That is why Drayton had 20million put on the side only for Roger and no other player. Roger and Andy begged him for a bat win the Stros had one of the best staffs but Drayton didn't want to because MMP was already selling out. Roger and Andy left because they missed a winning and competitive locker room.

The Stros have plenty of talent? Their record is in the bottom five in the ML!!! The stros 2B, SS, 3B, Catcher, RF, RP and SP is a joke... Uncle Drayton can afford to spend 100million a year on talent and still make a profit but he won't. His marketing of "Root for the good guys" sells tickets but won't bring in winning players to win a ring. He keeps talent in the minors so he won't have to pay them top dollar when they hit their prime. Other teams bring up talent when they are 20 yrs old and the Stros do when the players are 24-25. Someone can make a list that continue's forever of how Drayton doesn't spend the correct amount of money and correct way to spend it. He doesn't care about this city or a ring. Remember he was threatning to move to Virginia if he didn't get a new stadium. Now he gets all the advertising money from MMP that the public taxes pay for.

Here are the number for the Stros great talent...

OBP Position Slugging Ranking for NL

4th C 12th

4th 1B 5th

10th 2b 9th

10th 3B 14th

6th SS 11th

5th LF 4th (That for A 100million?)

2nd CF 1rst

16th RF 11th

National League pitching ranks:

Starters rank---2nd 1oth 9th

Statistics--------IP ERA BAA save %

Bull pen rank---9th 16th 16th 16th

Yet it is still the same talent that took them to the World Series just 2 seasons ago ? With NO help from Pettite and Roger doing nothing in the Series. You also think we should have traded Biggio ?

Pass the BONG brotha. Puff puff give......puff puff give. You are messin' up the rotation !

Vick, innocent until proven guilty ? What happened to that ? I don't support Vick at all, I don;t even like him as a player, I am just glad he isn't OUR quarterback. If he is found guilty, rest assured, that the NFL will be done with him. PeTA has already claimed protests, and Vick says he wants to play, but Atlanta's owner isn't gonna let that happen, he is a huge animal lover.

Kink, if you haven't been to a Texans tailgating party, you are missin' out. Most times, it is better than the actual games. :D

What lot are you at?

Should the Astros make a push for a big hitter like A-Rod once he lives the Yankees this offseason? Drayton has the dough.

Yet it is still the same talent that took them to the World Series just 2 seasons ago ? With NO help from Pettite and Roger doing nothing in the Series. You also think we should have traded Biggio ?

Pass the BONG brotha. Puff puff give......puff puff give. You are messin' up the rotation !

The stars lined up just right when the Astros went to the WS. Asmus HR to tie the Braves in the bottom of the ninth. The Braves and Cardnals injuries etc... The Stros true colors showed when they got swept. Maybe if they had that extra bat Roger and Andy wanted instead of shoving a hurt Bagwell out their the results would have been different. I think they should not have traded Big, they should have never gave him a new contract. I guess Uncle D needed another gimmick to sell tickets? Andy and Roger contributed to the Stros two best seasons in teams history by the way. Glad they went back to a winning locker room and left a "good 'ol boy hunting trip" atmosphere the Stros have.

Sorry to come off harsh or mean, don't mean to but I get very frustrated with the Stros.

As soon as I'm done with work we will lite one up, man!

• 4 weeks later...
Draytons makes a killing on the Astros. He treats it like a buisness to make money not to win rings. Look at he obsurb advertising at MMP (Fowl Poles?).

Bingo!

He spends just enough to keep them as playoff contenders. Championships are not a priority. Advertising money is first and foremost. The billboards on the foul poles are vulgar. The environment at the games is like a carnival - "step right this way folks..." There is always something going on to take your attention off of the field. The t-shirt sling shot, UPS lucky row, Digorno seating move, Goya shell game, Hummer races, guess the attendance, kissing cam, text your favorite song, etc, etc.

Sad.

Also, take down that embarrassing "Wild Card Champions" sign. The wild card is the fourth place team

Archived