St. Stephen's Episcopal School At 1800 Sul Ross St.

OkieEric

Anyone here have any connections with St. Stephen's? I live next door to some prefab buildings on Branard that have "High School" on the front, and saw over the weekend that they were being dismantled. One of the crew there told me that they are building a "permanent" building, but didn't offer much else... This section of the school takes up a huge T-spaced shaped lot, and I can't really imagine how a permanent structure would really fit on it.

I'm concerned that maybe the school sold the land, and that I'll soon see the side of a new townhouse out my window - is there any to tell if ownership has changed hands? Haven't seen any online permits as of yet...

BTW, not exactly a historic loss, but here's a demolition that took place across from the school just a few weeks back. Someone actually filmed it and put it on youtube, which I thought was pretty cool. Anyway, sort of surprising since the house didn't seem that bad:

St. Stephen's has bought up so much of that property, and they usually keep the old homes and renovate them into classrooms, which was great. They did tear down one for a parking lot several years ago, though. I used to have connections there, but not any more.

St. Stephen's has bought up so much of that property, and they usually keep the old homes and renovate them into classrooms, which was great. They did tear down one for a parking lot several years ago, though. I used to have connections there, but not any more.

This particular piece of property is different in that it is quite large and was apparently cleared in the past...2-3 connected lots, more or less. Though I wasn't a big fan of the pre-fab buildings, dog walkers seem to be quite fond of the large amount of green space :)

I do like what the school has done with some of those renovated homes...they all look well maintained

Well, sonofa...got home today to see an "Allen Black Custom Homes" sign in front of the buildings they're taking away...sure hope ol' Allen Black has ventured off into building schools :)

There's an Ironwood Custom Homes sign in front of the place they torn down in that video. Anyone know if either of these guys tend toward single family or townhouses??

Well, sonofa...got home today to see an "Allen Black Custom Homes" sign in front of the buildings they're taking away...sure hope ol' Allen Black has ventured off into building schools :)

There's an Ironwood Custom Homes sign in front of the place they torn down in that video. Anyone know if either of these guys tend toward single family or townhouses??

Oh lord...I know nobody cares, but I have to vent somewhere. A lady at Allen Black said they were going to build 15 (!) townhouses on this particular plot of land. Is this physically possible??? She assured me that they were going to be very upscale, and 3-4 stories... I think I'm going to puke

The land in question is T-shaped, and has the metal buildings on it - wouldn't let me link to it, but it's at 1822 Branard if you use maps.live.com

My neighborhood feels like the most disorganized ever, but is there anyway to fight this??

That's my neighborhood and I can't believe the school would let go of that property. Wow, I'll have to drive by on my way home tonight.

That's my neighborhood and I can't believe the school would let go of that property. Wow, I'll have to drive by on my way home tonight.

I can't believe it, either... Not much to see now, as all they've done is tear out the walkways. Should be interesting to see them haul those buildings out of there! I was hoping the area wouldn't become overrun with townhouses, but I think that's exactly what's going to happen...

• 3 months later...
BTW, not exactly a historic loss, but here's a demolition that took place across from the school just a few weeks back. Someone actually filmed it and put it on youtube, which I thought was pretty cool. Anyway, sort of surprising since the house didn't seem that bad:

Perhaps a sign of the times - but that lot has sat empty since July, and is now back on the market again! Something tells me money was lost on this deal...

Is there any sort of breakdown of building permits (for townhomes, etc) by neighborhood? It'd be interesting to see how they've done over the past few months in Montrose and elsewhere

• The title was changed to St. Stephen's Episcopal School At 1800 Sul Ross St.