The Grand Parkway

Not true. The Grand Parkway will connect all outlining Houston communties. Just like the Loop connects inner city, while Beltway 8 goes a little further out. The Grand Parkway will connect Katy with the Woodlands, The Woodlands with Baytown, Baytown with Pearland,and Pearland with Sugar Land. This Grand Parkway will be good. If only it wasn't a toll road.

Well I was finally on the Grand Parkway for the first time ever last weekend, heading from Sugar Land to San Antonio. I must say that it was a good shortcut, but I don't think it is worth the $4B+ that it will cost. Plus, I sincerely hope that the development near I-10 isn't repeated all along it. I liked the rural areas around it.

Houston Chronicle

According to this article published last Thursday in the Houston Chronicle, the Woodlands is actively searching for a paid full-time lobbyist, who will have among their various duties, the uneviable task of protecting the Woodlands from the

Grand Parkway. The Woodlands, as you may recall, made a strategic tactical error when all of their business/social clubs and groups gave their unwavering support to the Grand Parkway project, in any alignment chosen. Now that TxDOT has decided to update the Supplemental Study of the DEIS, the Woodlands seems to be getting nervous and beginning to take the efforts of the group known as United to Save Our Spring a little more seriously than before. :)

• 2 weeks later...

(as seen in TxDOT minutes of July 2004 TTC meeting):

ITEM 7. RIGHT OF WAY

Various Counties - Authorize the advance acquisition of right of way for SH 99

Commissioner Houghton made a motion, seconded by Commissioner Johnson,

and the commission approved the following minute order presented by Right of Way

Division Director John Campbell:

ROW

In VARIOUS COUNTIES, projects have been proposed to develop STATE

HIGHWAY 99 (Grand Parkway), a proposed 170 mile facility from State Highway 146

in Galveston County to State Business Highway 146-E in Harris County.

Although construction of the project is not yet authorized and no final

determination has been made on the alignment of the project, preserving the proposed

project

The Grand Parkway will be a crucial transportation artery in the future. Sections of it are needed today, and just about all of it will be needed in the future as outlying areas become urbanized. The efforts to get it built (assuming success) will be much appreciated in the future. Cities like Atlanta and Washington DC will look to use with envy, since they will sprawl just as much (or more) and they won't be able to get around as easily as we will.

Second, developers donated around 80% of the land for the existing section West Houston, and around 60% of the land for the section in Baytown under construction. It looks like all remaining sections will be tolled. So future sections will use minimal taxpayer funds.

I expect TxDOT to try to toll the existing free section near Cinco Ranch. Rick Perry and his henchmen on the transportation commission are trying to turn Texas into the toll road capital of the world, and the west section is an ideal candidate for conversion.

When asked why he is not inviting affected homeowners "to the table" when discussing the Grand Parkway project, Senator Jon Lindsay remarked, "Sometimes you just have to run people over to get things done. The developers are the only ones that matter in this case." But, considering that Montgomery County just got approval to do "pass-through" tolls, it's probably just a very short matter of time before Montgomery County forms their OWN mobility authority and takes the Grand Parkway project out of Harris County hands, and I think Lindsay is feeling the pressure to circumvent the supplemental studies and get the project started. The traffic studies done for the Spring area and the Montgomery County area will clearly show that the need for the parkway is much more pressing and vital to Montgomery County than in Harris County. Harris County Toll Road Authority may say that they have no desire to contribute any more money at all to the supplemental studies (they've already contributed $1.5 million, and it's likely to cost the same for supplementals), but TxDOT is pressing ahead with the supplementals anyway and looking at corridors to the north. Senator Jon Lindsay knows this and is running scared. What a collosal ass! :angry:

(statement being released to the media today)

Office of State Representative Debbie Riddle

District 150

281-537-5252

"I am aware that the voices of my constituents are being circumvented and ignored by those who propose to go through Commissioners Court to have the Toll Road Authority build the Grand Parkway directly through our neighborhoods, with total disregard to environmental or other studies.

I believe that we need to continue, and persist in finding a solution for the location of the Grand Parkway and increased mobility without continued disregard for those who would be negatively affected. It is imperative to make Commissioners Court aware of the true feelings of the majority of our community.

Again, I am not opposed to the Grand Parkway, but I am opposed to the location that is proposed and I am vehemently opposed to building the Grand Parkway and ignore the necessity of continued environmental studies. The health, welfare, and well being of my constituents, including the elderly and children are my highest priorities. I encourage everyone to become involved and knowledgeable regarding this issue. I look forward to working with my constituents and I would certainly hope that all of our elected officials will work together for a good solution."

Grand Parkway opponents fear project may be put on fast track

Concerns spread that toll road authority set to take over four segments

By KIM JACKSON, Houston Chronicle

A group of north Harris County residents are concerned plans are under way to accelerate the start of the Grand Parkway project through the Spring area.

Connie O'Donnell, a Northampton resident and member of the United to Save Our Spring coalition, said word has spread throughout Spring that the Harris County Toll Road Authority might take over four sections of the Texas Department of Transportation's Grand Parkway project. Those four segments

"We brought the developers together to make sure everyone was on the same page," Lindsay said. "There was some discussion about different routes and how they would affect developments, but everyone there agreed we need to do the project."

Senator Jon Lindsay will be asked on Monday, October 4th, 2004 by the Houston Chronicle to state a retraction to his untruthful statement made here. Everyone at the meeting did NOT agree that we need to do the project.

Senator Jon Lindsay will be asked on Monday, October 4th, 2004 by the Houston Chronicle to state a retraction to his untruthful statement made here. Everyone at the meeting did NOT agree that we need to do the project.

United to Save Our Spring would have opposed the Grand Parkway project. Who else at the meeting voiced their opposition to the project? I'm curious to see who is going on record with their opposition to the project.

Bridgestone MUD opposed the project, while the ones who will be the most seriously impacted, (Northampton MUD), remained silent on all counts. They, (Northampton MUD), continues to fall for the old lie by Lindsay, "If it's noisy, we'll be sure to check into getting you all some sound walls, maybe..."

Community raises concerns over new developments in Grand Parkway

By Amanda Waters , Managing Editor, 1960 Sun, 10/06/2004

The battle against the Grand Parkway in Spring has come up against a new obstacle after Senator Jon Lindsay and others introduced the idea of turning over the project to the Harris County Toll Road Authority in order to expedite the construction of segment F2 of the Grand Parkway which will run between Highway 249 and Interstate 45.

According to Lindsay, if the Commissioners Court gave approval to the Toll Road Authority to move ahead on the project they would then simply need to issue bonds, purchase right of way, identify a route and begin work on building the road. He also noted that Art Storey, executive director of the Toll Road Authority, has indicated that he will recommend that the Commissioners Court approve the project.

This recent development has many Spring residents nervous, and concerned that their fight to move the Grand Parkway north of Spring will be all for nothing.

"If the Toll Road Authority takes over we [the residents] have no representation," said Skip Warren, a member of United to Save our Spring and a board member for the Bridgestone MUD.

Lindsay presented this possibility at a recent meeting he put together of individuals with a vested interest in the Grand Parkway, including representatives from Bridgestone and Northampton MUDS, developers in the area and the North Houston Association.

"I wanted to find out if these people with a vested interest were for the Grand Parkway," Lindsay said.

Ron Schkade with the Bridgestone MUD attended the meeting and said that it basically amounted to everyone talking about why they didn't want certain proposed routes for segment F2.

"[The meeting] was a waste of time, and it upsets me that [Lindsay] feels that something did come out of that meeting," Schkade said.

Warren said that members of United to Save our Spring are currently in the process of organizing a meeting between all of the officials involved - Grand Parkway Association, TxDOT, the Harris County Toll Road Authority and community members and MUD representatives - to see if a solution can be reached that is beneficial to everyone in the community.

"Kind of like a summit," Warren said.

Schkade also noted that Harris County Toll Road Authority officials have said that they could get started on the project three to four months after getting approval.

Parkway project to begin

Road to offer alternate route to Magnolia area

By BETH KUHLES,Chronicle Correspondent

Construction will begin this month to finish the missing link on Woodlands Parkway to the Magnolia area.

The missing segment on Woodlands Parkway between Portrait Garden Drive in Sterling Ridge and FM 2978 is only 1,200 feet long

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Controversy over the Grand Parkway continues!

By KATHY PARKS , Managing Editor, Observer, 10/07/2004

The controversy over the proposed F2 segment of the Grand Parkway continues as area residents question 'private meetings' called by project supporters and the focus of the controversy shifts from concerns over where it will be built to who will build the F2 segment.

The United to Save Spring Web site claims, "Even though the traffic studies have not been finalized or released, apparently Harris County Toll Road Authority is interested in building. Even though the traffic counts from all segments except Segment F-2 are small, they want to build the entire 53 mile stretch."

The Grand Parkway Association held two public hearings, one in March and the other in June of 2004. The purpose of the hearings was to discuss its impact of the parkway on the community.

Attendance was high at both meetings and the tempers of residents flared over the various proposed placements of the road. The proposed alignment of the parkway is to be somewhere in the northern border of Spring running between I-45 and State Highway 249.

In the previous public meetings, residents asked for updated maps of the area that reflect the recent, rapid growth. They also asked for environmental impact statements that address traffic congestion, noise, and polution. Citizens wanted to update the number of homes and businesses that would be effected by the project based on the various placements.

The original controversy over where the Grand Parkway will be built is now being upstaged by a concern over who will manage the project.

"If federal funds are used to build the road," said Jerry Thomas, president of 'Save Our Spring,' the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) is responsible for updating the environmental studies which document the effects of flooding, pollution, congestion, noise and other damaging consequences of the project.

"With this approach, supporters must answer to the public as it moves forward with the project. If the project is taken over by Harris County Toll Road Authority, we understand that the county may condemn and seize property in the path without regard to public opinion," said Thomas.

"I heard rumors after the meeting two weeks ago in The Woodlands that everyone present agreed to an alignment. That rumor simply is not true," said Thomas.

"Senator Jon Lindsay, president of the North Houston Association, called a meeting at Jones and Carter in The Woodlands and invited representatives from Bridgestone and Northampton Municipal Utility Districts (MUDs) to discuss possible alignments with local developers," said Skip Warren, who is a board member of the Bridgestone MUD.

"If they expedite the project, they will sell bonds to pay to build the road, then charge tolls to pay back the bonds. They won't complete the updated studies and preliminary studies, using old data, show the road crossing open land.

"The area has grown so much. If they use updated studies and new aerial photographs, they would see exactly how many new neighborhoods, businesses and schools would be effected," said Warren.

"If the Harris County Toll Road Authority takes it over, not only will the requirement for environmental studies go away, so will the requirement to listen to public comments. I can't believe, that in this county, a governmental authority has that kind of power," said Warren.

"I agree with former Houston Mayor Bob Lanier's statement, 'What we need is more spokes coming out the city, not more wheels, or circles around the city,' added Warren.

"The circles for 249, Beltway 8 and the 610 Loop have been started, but none of them have been completed. Now they want to begin a fourth circle by building the proposed Grand Parkway," complained Warren. "What the area needs is to widen Ella Boulevard, T.C. Jester, Kuykendahl and Gosling."

"If government officials don't work with the public, if they seize our land, this is unbelievable. It's the kind of thing Hitler did. What else do you call it?"

"They are forcing good people to leave their homes, some homes have been in their families for generations. These politicians have forgotten where they come from and who they serve," said Warren. "This is a scary time and if the toll road takes the project, I'm afraid we've lost."

"I am aware that the voices of my constituents are being circumvented and ignored by those who propose to go through Commissioners Court to have the Toll Road Authority build the Grand Parkway directly through our neighborhoods, with total disregard to environmental or other studies," said state Representative Debbie Riddle who represents District 150.

"Again, I am not opposed to the Grand Parkway, but I am opposed to the location that is proposed and I am vehemently opposed to building the Grand Parkway without continued environmental studies," continued Riddle. "The health, welfare, and well-being of my constituents, including the elderly and children are my highest priorities."

The deputy director of The Texas Department of Transportation-Houston, Dennis Delvin, said, "I think this project is moving forward slowly. I understand securing updated studies will take another year or two. During that time, there will be additional public hearings."

"If you are looking for a valid update on the Grand Parkway," said Robin Sterry, assistant executive directory for the Grand Parkway Association, "you have to come to the Grand Parkway Association for information. As the project stands, we are in charge of developing the updated studies.

"I can tell you that when we meet again with the public, and a date has not been set to do so," said Sterry. "We will have new aerial photographs and a new environmental impact study. The comments made by citizens at the previous public hearings are being addressed in our documentation.

"I am working to expedite this project," said Senator Jon Lindsay. "I did meet with developers regarding the F-2 segment of the Parkway. Our goal remains to find an acceptable alignment for the parkway. We continue to discuss a path that will have the least negative impact on citizens and property.

"Although we have a consensus on the need for the parkway, we have not as yet reached agreement on the parkway's path," said Lindsay.

"There are no public meetings that I know of scheduled at this time. There is no plan for a future meeting such as the one held in The Woodlands, although, we may continue our discussions individually," said Lindsay.

"Those who truly understand the project know the Grand Parkway will protect our area if there is a downturn in the economy," said Lindsay. "For example, there was such an economic downturn in 1985 and the first MUD's affected were those in neighborhoods that were hard to reach.

According to Lindsay, when the MUDs struggle with taxes, MUD taxes go up.

"The Grand Parkway will provide accessibility and will help to stabilize the area," said Lindsay.

"This project has been in the works for so long. My goal is to see this thing done so I will be able to drive on it in my lifetime," said Lindsay.

Updates can also be checked at www.grandpky.com and www.unitedtosaveourspring.com

State Representative Debbie Riddle can be reached at 281-537-5252 and State Senator Jon Lindsay can be reached at 281-583-1011.

• 1 month later...

Someone forwarded me something today that I found just hilarious!

Some Grand Parkway proponent was actually telling people that the United to Save Our Spring group just recently "came back to life" after being dormant for however long. The group known as UTSOS has been diligently fighting the Grand Parkway proposal for over FIVE YEARS now! Our website has been up for at least that long and we are constantly in the papers, but somehow the pro-Grand Parkway morons missed that information. At this writing, the Grand Parkway Association has been commanded (their choice of words, not mine) to find better alignments and routes through the northwest Houston area, including going into Montgomery County. They will conduct another public hearing next spring, with updates to the outdated DEIS, and new routes. Personally, I think UTSOS has done a fantastic job considering it is a grassroots effort taking on TxDOT! :)

I dont understand how any one could be opposed to the Grand Parkway. Traffic in the Houston area is horrible and any new freeway would be a help. Especially since the population of the Houston area is going to double in the next 20 years. The Grand Parkway needs to be built as quickly as possible before there are 10 million people in Houston and there are no outer loops. If there is no Grand Parkway then everybody that lives in the suburbs are going to have to sit in traffic and wait for traffic lights every five seconds. I dont know if any of you have been on highway six or 1960 but it sucks. and that is the future without the grand parkway. and all you tree huggers need to get over it. the land is going to be developed weather yall like it or not. the city will keep spreading out and all the land is going to be developed and turned into strip centers and subdivisions. so stop whinning and build the Grand Parkway.

Fewellman,

I do not think that anyone is disagreeing with you about the increase of traffic over the next twenty years. The issue with the Grand Parkway is that Northwest Houston (Segment F2 area) has developed and subdivisions and businesses have been built where the Grand Parkway was originally designed to go nearly forty years ago. Since the original plan other alignments have been added to the Grand Parkway plans. The current alignments have the highway going through neighborhoods and businesses (if not through -- then right next to residences/businesses and schools). Furthermore the Grand Parkway Association has not really indicated what it plans on building- is it a four lane scenic highway or is it a highway like Interstate 69. Not many people in the F-2 Segment want to have a highway such as Interstate 45 going through their backyards or past their children's schools.

The most feasible approach to the Grand Parkway is what is currently being done by TXDot, which is updating the information and looking at current alternatives as well as additional alternatives to alignments up north where there is less development.

When addressing the population of people who are opposed to the current plans for the Grand Parkway, please remember that we are property owners (perhaps like yourself), many who had done our homework and researched where the Grand Parkway was planned to be built before buying our properties (using the outdated information available at the time we were buying our properties). We are aware of and are dealing with the development that you mention in your correspondence. However, we are also trying to maintain resale values on our homes by preserving the quality of life in our neighborhoods and schools that we will not have if we have the Grand Parkway in our backyards.

Thanks so much, adagio! I couldn't have said it better myself! Thursday, a contingent of folks from the northwest Harris county area will be in Austin to hear the presentation of the year-end summary report by David Gornet, Executive Director of the Grand Parkway. State Rep. Debbie Riddle (Dist. 150) will be in attendance as well, and will most likely voice an opinion that will be contrary to whatever Mr. Gornet has come up with. It should be interesting, to say the least! As soon as we get a transcript together, we will post the details of the meeting.

Even given large increases in development in the far suburbs, I'm not sure the Grand Parkway will do much to alleviate traffic. The ring-pattern just seems designed to foster development and then funnel the resulting traffic into the existing "spokes" of the freeway system (e.g. I-10, 290), and making those traffic problems worse. The whole ring-and-spoke design seems a lot less efficient for traffic management than more of a grid system, which can create more traffic flow alternatives. Of course, someone drew it on a map 40 years ago, so we have to live with it now.

'so when will they start construction on this thing? date.time.hour,what?'

Yesterday, in Austin, David Gornet, Exec. Director of the Grand Parkway, said that he believes that the Grand Parkway will be as fully operational as it will become in the year 2017. You must realize by now, that some segments will never be built and are only going through the motions just to make this thing appear to be one big circle. The Supplemental Environmental Impact Statement (SEIS) for Segment F-2 should be available for a Public Hearing next Spring. It will have updated aerial maps, land use maps, and more alternative alignments including those in Montgomery County that they are currently studying.

On a side note, thank God for State Rep. Debbie Riddle (District 150)! She cleared her schedule of all appointments yesterday just so she could go and hear Mr. Gornet's presentation to TxDOT's TTC and so she could voice the concerns of her constituents and ask questions of the boardmembers and of Mr. Gornet. There really are not any other politicians that I would hold in such regard for actually standing up for the beliefs of those that they represent, not just their own personal beliefs. Eckels, Eversole and Lindsay are loathe to even meet with, discuss over the phone with, or even answer e-mails from their constituents on this topic. They have pushed their own agendas and those of TxDOT and to hell with the will of the people. Thank You, Debbie Riddle for not being like them! (jumps off soapbox now)