July Mod of the Month open house

rps324

What a spectacular house! An indoor pool usually means some kind of an addition next to a house, enclosed with an aluminum framed building system. Not here. This pool is truly in the house and the house is beautifully designed to contain it. This is another hidden treasure of Houston. It seems to be in almost original condition so visiting it will be about as close as we can ever come to experiencing the excitement it must have generated in 1959 when it was toured by thousands of visitors on the Parade of Homes.

hr1940882-4.jpg

It looks like the fence was added later. I would think that the whole house would smell like chlorine if the pool was in use. That said, I really like the interior of the home.

The fence was added later. It would look a whole lot better with that removed. I guess you could have those new salt water systems installed that they use on pools now. I am not a pool expert so I have no idea what would be involved with that.

• 2 weeks later...
The fence was added later. It would look a whole lot better with that removed. I guess you could have those new salt water systems installed that they use on pools now. I am not a pool expert so I have no idea what would be involved with that.

It's not hard to do, just updating the equipment. Which might need updating anyway since it hasn't been used in awhlie.

But actually a properly maintained pool shouldn't smell like chlorine. The only area that would really have that odor is where you store the chemicals which would be outside.

Mr. Searcy, you make me SICK! :lol: I saw some absolutely wonderful houses for under $200k, but the problem is the areas they are in. I did, however, find a couple that I would absolutely love to have, and the neighborhoods are A-OK! The one on Coral Creek for $244K, is a bit out of my price range, The one on Maux Dr. is just about perfect for my tastes. the one in Baytown though, I remember actually playing in that house as a kid, someone on my YMCA football team lived there, but I don;t know that it is worth over $200k, that is impressive.

Mr. Searcy, you make me SICK! :lol: I saw some absolutely wonderful houses for under $200k, but the problem is the areas they are in. I did, however, find a couple that I would absolutely love to have, and the neighborhoods are A-OK! The one on Coral Creek for $244K, is a bit out of my price range, The one on Maux Dr. is just about perfect for my tastes. the one in Baytown though, I remember actually playing in that house as a kid, someone on my YMCA football team lived there, but I don;t know that it is worth over $200k, that is impressive.

That one in Baytown looks like a variation of one in Glenbrook that backs up to the bayou. It is almost identical looking. Must have been the same Architect or something.

There is an inexpensive one on the list in Meadowbrook that I showed last week. Doesn't look like that much in the pictures, but it was a good one for someone on a budget. Looks a lot better in person. A one-owner I think. Has this neat hunting scene mosaic on the backsplash in the kitchen, you can sort of see it in the picture. Great original vintage mod light fixtures and Chevron pulls and the original knobs. There is a slide out breakfast bar off of the kitchen too. If somebody wanted an original one cheap, that would be one to consider.

The Shore Acres one in LaPorte looks like the most interesting one of the bunch. Overall though, pickings seem to be a little slim still.

Some of those you listed can also be found in abundance over in Katy, in the Memorial Parkway subdivision Between Westgreen and Mason. Like the ones you listed on Twin Hills and Braes Meadow. They look like identical builders as well.

Oh, and that Gardendale house listing is gonna make somebody a sweet home.

I agree with TJones. Some of these houses are exquisite. I especially like the one at 5211 Coral Creek Drive as well as the one at 4617 Briarbend, both under 250K, which seems like a bargain to me although I admit that when it comes to housing prices, my sense is distorted by the still overpriced SF Bay housing prices. I think I'm partial to the one on Coral Creek Drive because it has a pool that I imagine one needs to make it through those hot and humid Houston summers. What ever happened to the house in Glenbook with the atrium? Did if finally sell?

Similar to the home we purchased in Meyerland in 1963. Indoor Atriums and Pools were very popular back then and if I remember right, we paid about $27,000 for ours, approx. 10% of the selling prices today.

The Coral Creek one has this really incredible backyard. It cascades down to a wooded bayou. It isn't fenced and the house is on a cul-de-sac. You can see the backyard when you do the circle at the end of the street. I haven't been in that one yet.

Archived